What's up with TNT exhaust?

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What\'s up with TNT exhaust?

Can anyone share their impressions of the TNT cat-back exhaust? I don't understand why the exhaust system costs $1,500 MORE than a Borla set up. Doesn't TNT use Dynomax mufflers or the equivalent, to avoid the Borla drone? If that is the case, why not just get a Borla 3" cat-back and replace the Borla mufflers in the sills with Dynomax bullets and pocket the extra $1,100? I'm thinking of going with a cat-less system anyway, but is the extra cost due to the inclusion of high-flow cats? Thanks.

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What\'s up with TNT exhaust?

I think you need to double check your numbers on cost. The TNT system is a little more than the Borla, but certainly not $1500 more. As I recall, the Borla system goes for about $1200 and the TNT system is in the catalog for $1800. Suggest going straight to the source (TNT) to find out about the differences in construction so as not to get inconsistent information. For reference, here is dyno on my car before and after TNT cat-back system (no other mods than cat-back). There is also a big difference in exhaust note between TNT and Borla systems, suggest you listen to both. Good Luck.

You must be registered for see images

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Kid97,

You got me curious so I checked out the TNT website and their catalog. The system on the website looks to be complete from headers back, including hi-flow cats, while the cat-back system in the catalog is obviously only from the cats back. BTW, the cat-back system is in the catalog at a list price of $1895. Yes, the tuners are pretty expensive. I guess it's the penalty we pay for an expensive and low production car.

I can offer this advice if you decide to go for a TNT style system. The TNT and Hennessey systems are virtually identical due to their common heritage. As you may know, those two shops are intensely 'competitive' so you may be able to get a better deal through some friendly price competition. Having dealt with Roy quite a bit, I can testify that he really appreciates the friendly Viper owners.

OP
OP
K

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John N:
I think you need to double check your numbers on cost. The TNT system is a little more than the Borla, but certainly not $1500 more. As I recall, the Borla system goes for about $1200 and the TNT system is in the catalog for $1800. Suggest going straight to the source (TNT) to find out about the differences in construction so as not to get inconsistent information. For reference, here is dyno on my car before and after TNT cat-back system (no other mods than cat-back). There is also a big difference in exhaust note between TNT and Borla systems, suggest you listen to both. Good Luck.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the dyno chart. As for cost, the TNT web page has the 3" exhaust listed at $2595. But even going with your price of $1800, that's still $700 more than the Roe Racing Borla quote of $1099. I'm just wondering if an unbiased observer experienced with both systems (i.e., not someone behind the sales desk at TNT) can explain why. If it's just the difference in mufflers/resonators that are used, I'm pretty sure I can pick up a set of mufflers (maybe the deeper sounding Dynomax bullets for around $70 apiece) and have them installed on an otherwise new Borla 3" system for less than $700 and still come out ahead. I'm not trying to pick on TNT or any other tuner, just trying to put some sense (cents
) behind some of the prices being asked for otherwise mundane parts.

BTW, if anyone in SoCal has installed the TNT exhaust on their car, I'd love to hear it.......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4