Wheel damage

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '03 SRT with OE polished wheels. I think the wheels are clear coated. I had new tires installed today and there was slight damage done to the outer lip on a couple of the wheels. The shop wet sanded the damaged areas with 800 grit paper and then used metal polish on the sanded areas.

Cosmetically, the repair worked well and the damage is almost not visible. In fact, unless you are looking for it and know what you are looking for, you may well not be able to tell there was a problem. That's the good news.

What I'm wondering now, assuming that the wheels are clear coated, is whether the the breach in the clear coat that resulted from the damage and the sanding will cause problems in the future. Specifically, I'm concerned that the areas that are no longer clear coated are destined to corrode or that the the clear coat, now breached, will eventually begin to bubble or peel.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. I got the tire shop to replace the wheel. If it's not to late, I'd try for that. Call Jon B. at Partsrack for the OEMs.

OP
OP
P

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The damage isn't that bad, expecially if the clear coat issues I'm concerned about aren't really issues. Demanding a new wheel, under these circumstances, just wouldn't be reasonable. If my concerns are well founded, however, then that's a different story.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The damage isn't that bad, expecially if the clear coat issues I'm concerned about aren't really issues. Demanding a new wheel, under these circumstances, just wouldn't be reasonable. If my concerns are well founded, however, then that's a different story.

Well if they cant properly repair it, 100% , then they need to replace it. In my opinion there fix was a band-aid. I think you may over time develop a problem and then it will be too late to go back and get your money from them.

I had a wheel shop put a small mark in one of my stock wheels when they mounted PS2's. I was ticked, but knew Id be getting new wheels soon , so I just left it as is. Its your personal decision, but if your keeping those wheels a long time and want them to stay looking new, go after them.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct. Those wheels will never be right again. I can help though, as I am willing to offer $1000 for the set you have now. That would make a sweet down payment for the wheels you really want.

Reaction score
The wheels are clear coated but with POWDERCOATING not paint. Powder cannot be repaired. You must completely strip the wheel and polish then re powdercoat it in one step to keep anywhere near the factory shine. It should cost them about $150 to redo the wheel. The area they sanded will discolor and may even peel more over time. I would make sure they fix it the right way and if they can't I would get a new wheel out of them. Let them know the factory wheel is $1300 and give them the option of trying the proper repair or forking over the cash.