Wheel Sizes, What's Best?

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At some point I want to change from the stock wheels on my 08 and am trying to figure out, plus and minuses for different wheel combos.

Street cruising only, but do I stick with 18" front, 19" rear or go with 19" front and 20" rears or a different combo :dunno:
Also want to drop the car a little (maybe an inch or so) so how will that factor in?

Will probably happen after some tread loss on current tires. Probably after VOI :drive:

All opinions welcome

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this is primarily a street cruiser, I'd lean towards aesthetics and go with the 19x10 fronts and 20x12.5 rears. My '06 has nearly 700 rwhp and I run that size no problem. Car actually has decent traction with my Nitto INVO tires on it.

I'd be glad to assist when you decide to do wheels/tires. I carry about 20 brands of forged wheels, surely something you might like. Here is a gallery I put together, showing some examples.

Wheels pictures by ynotdv8 - Photobucket

About lowering, that doesn't affect your wheel choice. The tire outer diameter remains the same, regardless of wheel diameter. When you upsize a wheel, the sidewall just gets thinner.

Tony

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Tony 100% I'm assuming since you are asking about wheels, you primarily cruise with the car and don't race it, so 19/20 is ideal for you. It's the best balance of looks and performance.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, IMO, any of the 345/25R20 tires available(except possibly the Pirelli which has the worst traction of the group) doesn't really fit a 13" well...it's entirely too stretched, and the 12.5"s just fit perfect. You can get away with the 13" on a 19 or 18 since the sidewall is a little taller, and it doesn't appear to stretch quite as badly, although it still does

Am I on the money Tony?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly. Even the factory 345 wide tires looked stretched on the factory 13" Viper wheel. I just dislike the proportions, plus it exposes the wheel edge past the rubber. The 12.5" wide wheels just fit the 345 tire better, leaving the sidewalls nice and smooth looking.

Here is my car with the exact same 345-20 tire on two different wheels. Notice the stretched/curved sidewall on the 5-spoke wheels:

345 wide on 13.0" wheel:

You must be registered for see images attach

345 wide on 12.5" wheel:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the 19-20 combo for looks.

If you need to run track tires you will have to stick with the 18-19 combo.

I've run all the options in the 19-20 combo (Pirelli, Nitto, PS2 and Toyo)

I have two preferences

For the racey look, I like the PS2. The 335/30r20 PS2. It is the widest of them all on a 20x13 and appears the least stretched, but also has a larger overall diameter which helps inthe traction department but means it will rub your inner fender liners if the car is lowerd.

For the slammed look I like the Pirelli, it is the widest visually of the 345's on a 13 inch wide wheel....with a 25 series your pretty much putting looks before grip anyway but I think the Pirelli handles and feels better than the Nittos and Toyos.

FYI the 335/30r20 PS2 will stick in first gear with Paxton power.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS2
CIMG3374.JPG

Pirelli
vipersantana.jpg

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tony, car looks great with both sets although the top pic does look stretched. What wheels are they? and do they come in a 20x12.5?

Also, what are the bottom wheels?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tony, car looks great with both sets although the top pic does look stretched. What wheels are they? and do they come in a 20x12.5?

Also, what are the bottom wheels?

Top wheels are iForged "Astra" (5-spoke, brushed centers with polished lip)

The wheels below that are DPE Forged SP-16 wheels. Also brushed centers with polished lips.

Both are available in 12.5 widths. Let me know when we can order you a set :)

Tony

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with what everyone tells you is good as far as size. The factory engineers are of course stupid,lazy and ignorant. They can't buy a clue in regards to your cars wheel size. GTS Bruce

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting new wheels and tires also and am looking to get 18x11" and 19x12.5" wheels with 315/30R18 and 345/30R19 Kumho XS. 315 fronts to dial the understeer out more. This is for not so serious track days and street.
I've been drooling over these Carbon Concept wheels but not sure about whether the red lip is the way to go on my black ACR with red driver's stripe:

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting new wheels and tires also and am looking to get 18x11" and 19x12.5" wheels with 315/30R18 and 345/30R19 Kumho XS. 315 fronts to dial the understeer out more. This is for not so serious track days and street.
I've been drooling over these Carbon Concept wheels but not sure about whether the red lip is the way to go on my black ACR with red driver's stripe:

Nicest wheels!! Go for the red lip

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21