Where was the meeting place for the So Cal Desrt Cruise?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The So Cal newsletter said we would meet at the Texaco Station, off the I15 at Rt 79, West side of the freeway.

The SO Cal Viper website said we would meet at the Shell Station, off the I15 at Rt 79, West side of the freeway.

Just before the trip, I heard there was an email that stated the Shell station had been re-named Texaco. I don't know if it said anything about a change in the offramp road name, as I don't get email at home, and am rarely in the office.

Trouble is, there is neither a Shell station, nor a Texaco station, on the West side of the I15 at Rt 79. (Unless it was signifigantly out of sight, off in a non-visible location, but if that was the case, it likely would have been noted) There is a car wash that sells gas, but I think it was Union 76 brand gas.

So I'm trying to hook up with the group, its 10:30 and I am driving both East and West of the I15 on Rt 79, trying desperately to find either a Shell, OR a Texaco. Going both directions, I passed two Vipers, very nice looking, and the drivers held their hands up in dismay, as if to say: "Where the h*ll is it?"

After a while, about 10:45, I did locate a Texaco on the West side of the I15, but it wasn't off Rt 79, it was off the next exit North, which is Murietta Hot Springs Rd. Someone there said they saw ten Vipers going South on Jefferson about 20 minutes earlier. I thought that was funny, since the departure time in the newsletter said 11:00 am.

Did I miss something here? Am I crazy? (Don't answer that)

Very frustrating day. Turned around and went home.

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Vic:

What happened on this cruise? I can't believe that more people didn't get screwed up with the directions. Sorry to hear that you weren't able to hook up with them.

Brad

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Hey, Brad, John...

I didn't realize there was two "79" exits off the I15 in Temecula. I don't usually drive out that way, so I guess the locals know it best...

"It was a fun cruise....except for the SNOW, SLEET,RAIN, and SAND STORMS!!!"

Wow!!! Really? "Donner, party of seven!"

I was sad and dejected, so I thought I would take it out on my car, and other drivers on the road!
pissed.gif
Ha-ha, just kidding.

So I went back over the Ortega test track, and got a really good run both up one side, and down the other.
BURNOUT.gif

Got on the power smoothly, coming out of turns. Learned that from you, John, in my few short laps on the track!
laugh.gif

The lanes are too narrow to keep your foot in it if it oversteers, though, so I just try not to go into corners too deep too fast. Can't see around the corners, and hope to miss the oncoming test track drivers.
death2.gif

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic,

At breakfast we were wondering where you were. Asked Dave Jenkins but he didn't know. Why didn't you meet us there in San Juan? You should have called me on my cell phone.

I thought the two 79 exits might confuse some. Fortunately Frank knew the way. Actually, I knew the Temecula start location since the SoCal Boxster Group did a Mt. Palomar drive late last year and met at that same gas station. They were very very sure everyone knew that it was the southern most 79 exit and no one got lost. I assumed that since this wasn't the first Desert Cruise that most would know where to meet. What screwed me up a bit was the "right" turn at the base of Ortega Hwy in Elsinore. I've never done that and followed the Viper in front of me and turned left. I saw a guy jumping up and down waving his hands off to my right but thought it was just someone excited to see a Viper
bounce.gif
. It turned out to be John (aka SpeedRacer) trying to get my attention to turn right. Fortunately I caught my mistake and turned around. I hope the couple in the RT-10 who turned left in front of me were able to find the Temecula meeting place okay.

Even though some got lost I was sure surprised to see so many Vipers at one spot. It was quite amazing as I rarely see any on the road. Everyone waved as we cruised through Ortega Hwy. The motorcycle riders seemed to especially appreciate the Vipers.

Few had FRS radios but I brought mine. It helped a couple of times when I needed to know which way to turn in Palm Desert, and when I received a Cop ahead warning. I think the drive would be more fun (plus less chance of getting lost) if more people had a radio. We could'a all given eachother shi* when speeding on 86 hwy passing eachother while not trying to overtake the President so as not to get disqualified for the prizes
embarass.gif

Really didn't get to do much spirited driving in the mountains until on the way home for a short stretch where John and I were able to get some open curvy road ahead. I would like to do more of that... but it's probably easier and safer to save it for the track. The Viper seems to settle itself and get comfortable when the suspension is loaded. It feels nervous when cruising IMHO.

We should get together again. I'd like to see your kid's Mustang. I heard he can kick your a**
biggrin.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Craig

SSpeed Racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figured for sure you would be there!!! I think everyone that was caravaning from San Juan Capo got confused when we got on the 15 freeway....everyone assumed the first 79 exit was correct...but we were wrong it was 3 more exits down!!! The first 79 exit was for north bound traffic and we were to get off at the 79 southbound exit!!! So everyone including me played follow the leader right off the wrong exit!!!!

It was a fun cruise....except for the SNOW, SLEET,RAIN, and SAND STORMS!!!

By turning around you probably saved the front end of your car!!!

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Hey, Craigo, how ya been? Are you feeling all salty since your Buttonwillow run?
cool.gif
Ha-ha! Was it cool? Did you have fun?

I really tried to make it to Buttonwillow, but that d*mn business of mine swallows me whole sometimes!

I had your cell number in my old phone, but didn't have it with me. I had John Dearings place of business, and Dr Bill, "back doc", but he was in Vegas, and the only other VCA number I had with me was Frank. The one time out of a dozen or so calls that got through to Frank, we had trouble hearing each other. He told me the Shell station off the I15 at 79, at least thats all I could hear. He did say the last exit in Temecula, but if you are not familiar with that area, its hard to tell where Temecula begins and ends. Heading South on I15, I came across what I now know is the first "79" exit, and thought it must be the last exit in Temecula, because I didn't know there was another one, and after all, the number did match. It all looks the same out there, great open spaces, tumbleweeds, blowing dust, etc. And cell phones work crappy out in the boondocks!

My son Matt has been telling everyone he could kick my a** ever since he was four years old! He is getting some cash up to go for a blower, maybe then he will be a threat. I'm safe until then!
laugh.gif

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic,

Yes, Buttonwillow was a blast. You need to get out there and try it. I wanted to go to Thunderhill but got really sick (flu) and really behind at work.

I know how it is with running a business. Mine has about swallowed me up lately. I can't complain to much because you have to take it when you can get it. Plus it helps pay for my toys.

When Matt get's his blower are you going to get one too to keep ahead?
laugh.gif
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Craig, I'm waiting for Sean Roe's blower kit, partly because he said he will price it so it can be purchased with a credit card. I read that as REASONABLE, unless someone's got a $25,000 limit. Most people I think might have a $3,000 limit, right? Well, whatever price he decides on, I'm sure it will be something I can sneak past my wife, who is also my business partner. Plus there are a few other kits coming out soon.
If money was no object, I'd like to take the engine out, and send it to LPE or TNT, or some other tuner, and get like 6 or 7 hundred horses natural, but that is as expensive as a new company truck. Its hard to justify! But the blower I can squeaze past the bean counter, oops, I mean my wife.
We are starting a new service salesman on April 2, so I can concentrate on the technical end of the business. If this works out, we may start to rock and roll like never before. Incidently, Matt sold a new elevator for a record high price. Pretty slick. I told him it was beginner's luck.
laugh.gif

I didn't realize you had your own firm. I thought you worked for somebody else. There are a lot of pioneering types who own Vipers, it seems. Maybe someday my business will run itself, so I can cruise around to all the track meets, like SSpeed Racer!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21