Why are struts so exspensive

mclarengts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello guys, so Im just getting in the market for a viper. So while doing some research, I found that struts are like $3500 a set,$1600 for fronts and rears give or take. what is so special about the struts? what are some other exspensive parts or maintenance items that a possible buyer should be aware of? thanks for your help

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are those prices on factory struts? I see them sold used all the time, for much less. You can get aftermarket coil-overs for prices you mention.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being a limited production vehicle it is not viable to produce large numbers of parts for these cars. Vipers are not a dime a dozen and it is expensive to mass produce parts in a small quanities.

Bruce

OP
OP
M

mclarengts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats true, do you guys get your parts from a good website? what else should i know about? is there a guide to purchasing a viper, as far as what to look for, dos and donts?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While expensive, high quality struts make a major difference on how Vipers ride and handle.

There are some real stinkers out there that do poorly on Vipers, but OK on other cars. The top of the heap seems to be Motons as they provide a great controlled ride while also handling track duties with great poise.

The rear shocks move very little due to the Vipers rear suspenson design. The shock move only a couple inches and must offer complete control, but with very little stroke.

Rather than buying against price points, a better idea is to determine how well you wish your Viper to ride and handle, and then get the appropriate shocks to do the job.

OP
OP
M

mclarengts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Paul, good points, I never knew that about vipers and their suspension. How many miles do you get out of a set?..

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The good ones seem to last for ever. They can be rebuilt very reasonably and some of the track rats rebuild them every season for optimum performance. They usually specify their own requirements, and they end up being a pretty custom item.

For street use they go for years. I know that Moton makes a Nitrogen refill kit that allows the user to adjust the gas pressure inside the shock resevoir. The money spent on these pricey shocks really buys you some up to date technology.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anybody have a set of stock gen 4 kw-s for sale off a acr??

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I can't resist. Vipers use shock absorbers (or dampers as the British insist they must be called). A strut is a term for a shock absorber that is designed to carry out two functions: shock absorbing and locating the postion of the wheel, instead of using something like the Viper's A-arms.

Sorry the engineer part coldn't keep quiet. Now back to your regualar programming.

Talk to JonB when it comes time. He has good deals on struts.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[h=2]
icon1.png
Re: Why are struts so exspensive
[/h]
OK, I can't resist. Vipers use shock absorbers (or dampers as the British insist they must be called). A strut is a term for a shock absorber that is designed to carry out two functions: shock absorbing and locating the postion of the wheel, instead of using something like the Viper's A-arms.

Sorry the engineer part coldn't keep quiet. Now back to your regualar programming.

Talk to JonB when it comes time. He has good deals on struts.

Just like an engineer to explain the technical details without mentioning the misspelling of exspensive and regualar. (hope I spelled misspelling correctly : >)

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just like an engineer to explain the technical details without mentioning the misspelling of exspensive and regualar. (hope I spelled misspelling correctly : >)

LOL !! So true ! It's just in fun, though. The mispelling used to bug me; but, mostly not any more, because I can't type worth a dam. I also find that the most intelligent people are the ones most proan to misspeling !!!

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Ryan at Don Scharf Automotive for all your used parts needs 800-338-4002. I've replaced 3 of the original shocks on my 03. Last time I bought a pair since the mileage was low. Ryan is great to work with. You won't be disappointed.

I've owned my Viper for 3 years and have found that there are only three parts that are reasonably priced since they are used on other model cars; the power steering pump (same as some Jeeps and other cars), small light bulbs for interior, parking and stop lights and motor oil (not that any motor oil is cheap these days). Everything else is stupid expensive in my opinion due to the limited production numbers. Buy one under warranty if possible and you'll be much happier when it does break.

Good luck and enjoy!

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now you've got it confused...his best deals are on mufflers!

:rolaugh:

Here we go again!

LOL !! So true ! It's just in fun, though. The mispelling used to bug me; but, mostly not any more, because I can't type worth a dam. I also find that the most intelligent people are the ones most proan to misspeling !!!

Ha! I will go with that! We all know how great my posting and spelling skills are. Most are related to typing but... ;)

Hello guys, so Im just getting in the market for a viper. So while doing some research, I found that struts are like $3500 a set,$1600 for fronts and rears give or take. what is so special about the struts? what are some other exspensive parts or maintenance items that a possible buyer should be aware of? thanks for your help

Really also depends on the type of shock you are looking for. Are you wanting factory or aftermarket?

As for your other question, watch for bad clutch, accident damage, brake fluid color, etc. Also can be specific to a certain year.

What year you looking for?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21