Will someone please sell me a 96 GTS blue/white...

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figured there would be a few people offended by my price. I am a Viper owner as well, but some people should to be serious when they sell a car. Your Viper is not worth more than someone is willing to pay for it. Please take a look at Ebay and find an example of the car I am looking for. I don't think you will find any for more than 45K unless they have around 5K miles or less. I think 45K is very fair. For the record, I have an offer to get a 96' in Cleveland (a bit too far for me) for $46K and he has only 16K miles on his car. If I could find some way to get out there and drive it back for under $300, I would. However, most options leave me at spending $800-1000 bucks which I don't want to do.

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JF58854777:
drive it back for under $300, I would. However, most options leave me at spending $800-1000 bucks which I don't want to do.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

$500 is a make or break point on a $45K purchase? That's cutting it pretty close. If the car is available now and it's what you want, I say go for it. (Just MHO.)

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JF58854777:
I think 45K is very fair. For the record, I have an offer to get a 96' in Cleveland (a bit too far for me) for $46K and he has only 16K miles on his car. If I could find some way to get out there and drive it back for under $300, I would. However, most options leave me at spending $800-1000 bucks which I don't want to do.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does not make any sense. You are 'willing' to pay $300 + gas added mileage for someone to drive the car to you, but not an extra $500 to ship it?? Why don't you fly out there?? Please post or send me details of this proposed car for sale in OH for $46k. I have a colleague who is looking as well and will buy it in a heartbeat for $46k if it checks out.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been looking all over the place and I have found some pretty good deals, but nothing that close to Colorado. If you know anyone that is looking to sell a 96 blue/white GTS with about 20K miles. Let me know. I am willing to pay around 45K and I have the money.

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy:
Better pony up more than 45K bro.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bought mine for $45K in October with 22K miles. 97 GTS Blue with white. Are 96's more $$ ??

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, you need to understand I am not super rich, 500-800 bucks is a lot of money to me. Next to 45K, sure it isn't. But think about it, if I "save" 1K or 800 bucks, I can use that money to get a mod or two rather than spending the money and flying out. I am good with managing my money (maybe a bit of a cheap skate), but I really don't want to "talk myself" into paying more than I want. Plus flying out long distances is a pain in the *** !!! I do want a GTS pretty bad, but I am willing to wait for the right deal. I just spoke to a guy in KC, that has a Viper with 11K miles for 47.5K with a Borla exhaust and smooth tubes. Unfortunatly someone from NY was flying out this morning to pick it up (lucky ******* ). Oh well I will just wait for a good deal somewhere... Artman, if your friend is interested in the Viper for 46K email [email protected] . I think he wanted 47.5K but I was able to talk him down to 46K, I would have bought this myself but I didn't want to fly out to Cleveland... I hope your friend jumps on that deal, it seemed pretty good. Let us know how it works out.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
........Your Viper is not worth more than someone is willing to pay for it. Please take a look at Ebay and find an example of the car I am looking for. I don't think you will find any for more than 45K unless they have around 5K miles or less. I think 45K is very fair. ..........
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't take this personally, it is not intended as such:

Price is a two way street..... A seller must be willing to sell the car for the buyers offer. Look at those EBay cars you are talking about, I've seen very few Vipers offered on EBay over the last few months that met reserve and actually sold...... while we have sold over a hundred of the Vipers listed on this sites classifieds. As you have found out, any GTS in the forties, usually sells pretty quick.

It sounds to me like you found one, if $500 is the difference, buy it and wait a couple of months to insure it..... just my two cents worth.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I've found, EBAY is not a good representation of true market value of any car. There are cars on there that close (and sell) for $800 cheaper than they would on a private sale, and this is for a car worth less than 3K! On vipers I'd say prices are even lower, people simply do not bid as much as the car is really worth because they don't have the same amount of trust in a sale as they would if they could drive an hour or so to look at a car pesonally. Ebay is, and always will be a buyers market, no way will anyone pay more on ebay (except rare stuff) than they would in person.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not too sure about the statements about Ebay. Fact: I just saw today a 97 blue/white GTS sell for 45.5K with 21K miles and "30K" worth of mods (not sure if the mods were really worth 30K, but that was the claim). You might have an argument that it is nice to see the car in person, but still how much more would you expect to pay if you "saw" the car vs. flying out to get it?? 10K?? Ebay is a good representation of what a car will SELL for, not the inflated classified prices. And yes, the reserve was met and the car did sell. I would have got it myself except the car was too far for me to get and I could not fly out this weekend to get it. Just something to thing about. I have noticed a pretty nice drop in prices with the introduction of the SRT, which undoubtedly has effected used Viper prices.

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joseph, from experience and simple common sense really: "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR". Once in a while you get may get lucky, but the statements holds true 99% of the time. If you have shopped enough used high end vehicles including Vipers then you will know what I am talking about.

wcollera

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will sell you the model of a 96 in Blue and white that I have for 45K! lol

nono.gif

Greg D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fact is, the Blue/White 97 w/ $30K worth of mods that sold today on EBAY actually went for $46,100, had a cracked windshield, is missing the fog light lenses, power steering cap and was totally unsmogable. It was most likely ran very hard considering the mods it had, which by the way, doesn't seem to add up to $30K on my calculator.

What do you do if you buy a Viper like that on EBAY, have it shipped to you only to ifnd out the trans doesn't shift smoothly, the rear end howls, or worse yet, oil pressure is low? Your SOL because you bought it AS IS WHERE IS.

You get what you pay for, period

JeremyBlackwell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am putting my '96 viper gts up for sale tomorrow for about $44900 obo because i am moving VERY soon and need to liquidate a lot of my belongings until i get settled in tennessee. here is the info... www.geocities.com/extremeautosports2/viper.html (i have many better pictures available, the ones there are just some 'extras' to show people that want to see more pics...)
the car is perfect, no dents, is under warranty, and was serviced by dave jenkins in southern california before i bought it (very highly regarded viper tech here on the board.) i haven't had a single problem out of the car and all the maintanence is up to date with Mopar parts. please email me at [email protected] if interested...i have many references to how nice the car is and how easy i drive it.
JOSEPH- i almost bought a viper in cleveland with 16k miles from phillip at pretige imports, and it's the biggest pile of junk i've EVER seen. it had a huge stereo & cross drilled brake rotors (if that helps identify it at all.) email me if you need more info on it...

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SebringSilverC5:
Well guys I really hate to burst your bubbles but I can get a 2001 GTS with under 5k miles from MANHEIM auction... 100% clean too..infact I spotted one over a week ago there that sold for 55,000 with only 812 real miles... I know I'm probably going to get **** for saying this but dealers buy their cars very very cheap and If the car isnt selling they WILL sell the car near cost.which means that 45k for a 96 is not ONLY fair... but it's actually over paying a bit due to the fact that he could very well obtain one for about 38 - 40 near dealer cost with low mileage.... just my 2 penies...no flame intended =)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it's realistic to think that a car should sell for some number that is close to what a car can supposedly be had for at auction.

I don't buy that dealers are paying $38-40k for a 96 GTS's and are getting fat selling them at $45k.

The bottom line is there are NOT that many Vipers made, especially GTS's in 1996... so I highly doubt alot of dealers have them coming up at auctions, and not for $38k. A car will only sell for what someone will pay for it, but it will only sell for what the seller will take for it also. I think anyone who sells their 96 GTS for $38k is a *****. I don't think there are many morons in the Viper circle.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a guy in Chicago selling a 96 GTS, 6,000 miles never on a track (even though we tried to get him out) and never modified. If you want send me an e-mail and I will check to see if it is still up for sale?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SebringSilverC5:
YOU WOULD BE VERYYYY SUPRIZED ABOUT WHAT DEALERS PAY FOR THEIR CARS AND WHAT THEY SELL THEM FOR... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not at all, can you find me a cheap RT... any year, under $25k? Thanks...

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SebringsilverC5 when did you see a this Viper go thur Manheim? I have a friend that goes there every week, and he has not seen a Viper in months. We did see a 60K mile 95 do $31K and was pretty rough. I am not apposed to the margin you stated as people must remember you have to pay up front for the car. Then sit on it until it sells (cost of money) But we are not talking about Corvettes here, Vipers are much more limited in production and thereby hold thier value. So In short I disagree, you won't see a clean GTS for $38K at any auction.

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Sebring, let's clear this up a little before I see any more bogus numbers (no flame intended). My good friend is also a dealer so I get the highline books from Manheim to check prices all the time, even on Vipers. You can usually save $3-4 on average. However, the 96-97 Blue/White will demand a premium even at the auction and this color combo at the auction is very very rare. I should know because I was in the market for a 97 Blue/White with under 10k miles and when I wasn't looking, another guy I know in MD purchased one with 5.4k miles at Manheim from the original owner. After he paid his fees, it cost him $53k. He had it listed for $60k and ended up selling it for $58k after he declined my $56k offer.

However, the later model GTS and RT/10's will go for lower. The same guy that bought the blue/white one almost bought a 2002 Yellow RT/10 a few weeks ago with 1,500 miles for $61k (which I thought was a good deal). I personally saw a black 99 RT/10 with 5k miles go for $53k.

Just my $.02

Pat
97 GTS

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SebringSilverC5:

If you can get a 96 GTS for that price. Why don't you just buy one and take that "Mommy I want a Viper GTS!!!!" off your signature :

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Silver,

We only go to highline days (I think you missed highline in my last post), only one Thursday a month. All I'm saying is that the chances of a 96/97 Blue/White GTS going through the auction is very very slim to none and if one goes through and with low miles it is going to go for the price of a newer model. The only Blue/White 97 that went through recently in decent condition was sold by the owner, not a dealer.

Pat
97 GTS

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Pat,
What sells at the "Highline" Auction? Are these truly exotics or just a bunch of Z3s and SLKs? Also do you attend every month?

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything you want is sold here. The last one I went to had NSX's, Porches (911TT's and Boxters), Ferarris (everything from 348's to 360 modena spyders), Vipers, Lotuses etc. Also included in highline days are BMW's (From M5's to 325's), Lexus, and other lower models. Its truly something you should go to just to see.

Pat

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SebringSilverC5:

$50K on a LOADED H2 is an awesome deal!!! I'm paying $57K for my loaded + accessories H2, as they're selling at MSRP. Still a week or two away from delivery.

Enjoy that bad-*** American 4 x 4.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still looking for an answer: Does anyone know where I can find the "Highline Auction"??? I tried looking for it, but no luck... or is "Highline Auction" a phrase???
confused.gif

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The highline auction that is being referred to in this thread (I've also heard it referred to as exotics) is held at Manheim Car Auctions in Manheim, PA. This a dealer's only auction, and holds auctions several times weekly for "normal" used cars, and once a month the highline (exotics only) is held. It is located about an hour and a half north of Baltimore. I'm sure other auction facilities have equivalent type auctions. I bought a Mercedes there about three years ago with the help of a dealer friend, and got a great deal on a good car. Unfortunately it got "rear-ended" by a teenager, and I traded it in for a Durango. The place is incredible, 12 lanes, which means 12 auctions going on simultaneously, and each car can take from 30-60 seconds to go through. And this goes on for 8 hours!