Window Alignment Issue

bmwtmx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I replaced my broken regulator and window bosses with the Doug Shelby kit. Was not too challenging but now my window sits a few mm too far forward. When I reinstalled the glass there really seemed to be no way to adjust the position or angle of the window and now that it's all back together I am not looking forward to taking the door apart again. Is this just an issue with the location of the bosses being too far forward and then forcing it all back?

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Per design requirements, stuff is made to be adjustable to account for manufacturing variance in the individual components and stack tolerances too. But that would be more for the mounting point of the regulator to the door.

Not sure on the bosses you bought if they are thicker somewhere more then the OEMs.

OP
OP
B

bmwtmx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have gone over this a few times and cannot see anything wrong. I loosened all the nuts and tried to move it backwards but it is around 1/2 inch too far forward. Any ideas where the issue lies?

Wish I had a good Viper mechanic nearby and not the dealership.

Attachments

• IMG_7220.jpg
    IMG_7220.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 17

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I don't know anything about that kit, but any chance something could have been installed backwards? Only thing that comes to mind for me if something is all the way at the end of its adjustment. Or if there is a difference between driver and passenger and the wrong kit was installed?

OP
OP
B

bmwtmx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after nearly 5 weeks I finally resolved the window regulator issue and will share this tidbit of information so anyone looking to replace theirs in the future can do so easily the first time.

One thing the write-ups that I saw didn't say to do was to take measurements of the 3 adjustment screws and the window stop from the old regulator and adjust the new screws to those lengths. While I tried to do that, I couldn't get 2 of the screws to the correct lengths but thought that "close-enough" was good enough. Which it clearly wasn't.

It was only after really examining the old regulator with the new that I realized that the new regulator came from Dodge with 2 adjusting screws in the wrong locations. One screw is a bit longer than the other so it would bottom out and the other would top out when I tried to adjust the regulator when installed in the door. Simply putting them in the correct locations resolved this debacle.

I am fortunate I didn't throw away the old regulator because if I did I would never have known how to fix this. Such an aggravating problem resolved with a simple solution!

These 2 screws were mixed up

You must be registered for see images attach

Presto! Issue resolved

You must be registered for see images attach

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out! I'm guilty of hanging on to old broken stuff as well, though I've head several times now that there are places that will repair the originals, so I guess I've always got a backup plan if I need it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala