worth getting a gen 2 ROE SC?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love the huge power with my Roe. My first Roe was catback and Roe Hiflow Cats with 8#. Absolutely NO traction withrunflats. 598rwhp/644rwtq. I highly recommend the Hi-flow cats at least.

You'll notice that I said I love the power? It's because I couldn't tell any difference at different rpm. 1200rpm all the way to 5,000rpm no difference. After 5,000 I could feel slightly less hp. 20mpg. I put on 10,000mi in a couple months.

Then I bought my 2001 with more than 720hp and still have little traction under 80mph but still getting 20mpg. Larry Macedo installed 9-1 forged Ross pistons allowing 10psi. This is my perfect machine. I've upgraded everything. I'm liking the PS2s but thinking about getting some DRs. I have 1,000hp rear axles and use a stock clutch to minimize breakage. If I do find traction or feel the need to run a TT car I'll just turn on my Nitrous kit (never felt the urge to turn it on yet. I don't think the Nitrous would be safe to use until after about 120mph.

But, my car has gone 10.5@139mph on PS1s! Half throttle is faster than a stock Viper.

Ted

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck is right, 5psi is the max you can safely put on a creampuff GenII. Anything more than that and you risk blowing your engine. 2000-2002 GenII's came with 'creampuff' cast pistons. '99 and earlier came with forged. The forged GenII's can handle more than 5psi. You could, of course, get Chuck to replace the pistons for you and go beyond 5psi but you're now heading into TT $$$ territory 'cause once you got the heads off you'll want to do other goodies: cam, bottom-end, porting...oh my. :omg:

Somebody explain to me again why they made the pistons less stronger as the years progressed? Why would they decide one year to make the engine much weaker?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Somebody explain to me again why they made the pistons less stronger as the years progressed? Why would they decide one year to make the engine much weaker?

Various reasons. Also "not all forged pistons are created equal." The Hypertectic pistos used in the 2000+ pistons are MORE correct for those engines. Thermal dynamics are involved as well as piston knock and n/a engines seldom need a hq forged piston. These engines are not designed for forced induction and don't need forged pistons. Higher compression used by the newer engines saves gas inreases hp and is too high for very much boost to be applicable. 5psi is generally considered to be safe with a stock n/a engine. Old Turbo Daytonas ran 9psi and 8.2-1 compression. Our gen 2s run 9.5-1 compression which isn't too bad for light boost. Gen 3 engines with their 10.2-1 compression have less material around the top ring land than what is required on a forced induction piston.

My engine was built with Ross pistons designed for Forced induction. Better alloys and thicker ring lands as well as 9-1 compression is to withstand slight pinging and detonation without damage, hopefully.

Ted

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is an example for those that asked to see a dyno of a 5# 'Creampuff'

This is nothing more than an FYI Dyno sheet from my 2002 A.R.T. GTS Bumblebee...
Car has nothing more than a 5# Roe with Belanger headers and B&B exhaust (no cats) and a VEC 2. It seems to be a little rich, and pouring in fuel around 5700, but I'm fine with the safety of the tune...
I know people like to see what different mods do to a Viper as far as power goes, so here is an example... It is amazing that there is OVER 500 ft-lbs at 2200 RPM...
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What's amazing is the 'feel' of the supercharger. Roe's site says 40% increase in power, but it actually FEELS like it's double the power.

Ted

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is an example for those that asked to see a dyno of a 5# 'Creampuff'

This is nothing more than an FYI Dyno sheet from my 2002 A.R.T. GTS Bumblebee...
Car has nothing more than a 5# Roe with Belanger headers and B&B exhaust (no cats) and a VEC 2. It seems to be a little rich, and pouring in fuel around 5700, but I'm fine with the safety of the tune...
I know people like to see what different mods do to a Viper as far as power goes, so here is an example... It is amazing that there is OVER 500 ft-lbs at 2200 RPM...
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

The dyno sheet I posted above here is from your 01 Bumblebee brother. Basically the same set up and a light flywheel. It's a little stronger now than then. There is absolutely nothing wrong with adding fuel at 5700. No need to be above that with the Roe. I agree with Ted about the power factor. I can lock my seatbelt at 100 MPH when shifting into 4th. It hits like a hammer!

Steve

813IMG_2105.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang