Z06....isn't it amazing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Z06....isn\'t it amazing ?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deadman:
..... that in one fell-swoop back in 1992 Dodge introduced an automobile that set back " America's only true sports car" ... how long have they been building them ?

And they're still trying to catch up.

Just feeling a little full-of-it tonight .... thought I'd be a little anal.

I actually thought about getting a 'vette (purely a monetary consideration), but when I dropped by the local chapter show last summer in my '98 GTS - I sure liked the Viper better.

Love the new GTS-R coupe.

Undecided about the SRT/10.... although who can NOT like the 500/500/500 numbers.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are funny. Bring that Viper of yours to the road race and I'll show you the tail lights. I love all cars (that is why I'm here) but statements like that just piss me off.
I'm just glad that after 8 year of building Vipers, Dodge learned about ABS. Maybe after 10 more you'll get AH.

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score

MyPet,

You ********** ohh pure thing
bounce.gif

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not real happy about this....but the Jan 2002 issue of Car & Driver lists the Z06 as having the best 0-60 time and quarter mile time for *all* cars they tested in 2001!

Thought maybe they didn't test the Viper, but the ACR was listed further down under best top speed -- so they did.

We were also in a 4-way tie for worst gas mileage along with a luxury pickup!

What gives with the acceleration times?!

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NEON SNAKE:
Like all of us,I grew up with Vettes.Loved them as a kid,saw them change through my 20's & 30's.I've always liked Vettes,and always will.These cars have heritage,and history.I also loved the Shelby Cobra,but there weren't any around to drool over,or hear.I don't have a Viper because it's better than a Vette,I have one because it's different than a Vette.To me,it's more like a Cobra.If I could afford it,I'd own a Z06 in a hot minute.Some Vette guys are jerks,just like some Viper guys.We're all just,protective,defensive,and subjective about the cars we have.At least I am.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totaly agree. I'm planing to buy 02 GTS ACR next year before it is too late. But no the Vette will stay.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MyVette:
You are funny. Bring that Viper of yours to the road race and I'll show you the tail lights. I love all cars (that is why I'm here) but statements like that just piss me off.
I'm just glad that after 8 year of building Vipers, Dodge learned about ABS. Maybe after 10 more you'll get AH.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, I don't normally condone Vette bashing, but I can't resist this time. I owned an '01 Z06 for almost a year. I run a full 5 seconds a lap faster in my '97 GTS at Willow Springs than I did in my Z06. No AH, no ABS, no HUD, etc. on the '97 GTS....So, how do you explain it???

Not once have I locked the wheels up in my '97 GTS while road racing, whereas in the Z06, the ABS would come on at weird times and destabilize the car. You tell me, did I have a lemon Z06? Doesn't matter, I sold it. I don't care any more. Maybe Chevy will get some balls and build a C6 that actually has some torque.

BTW, at the track the brakes on the Z06 ****, despite all the hype. And I'll take Dodge customer service over Chevy any day.

Just my opinions. Obviously you've been having a better time with Vette ownership than I did. And in all honesty, my Z06 was preferable as a daily driver. They are both great cars, but your implication that somehow the Viper is inferior on the track is ridiculous. At least my '97 GTS is much faster road racing than my Z06 was, and you can't argue with that.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mike,

Let's face it, you and that Blue Viper were made for each other!
;)

What do you think of the Puff so far? Have you driven it enough
for a thorough comparison?

By the way, I like all sports cars. Some more than others, My ACR
is my favorite of all the sports cars I have owned. I'm sorry I sold my 96 993 Midnight Blue Cab, I'm sorry I sold my 97 GTS Viper Blue/White, and I'm sorry I passed on a 96 355 Red/Tan Spider in 96, but the rest of them I either still have or don't miss ! Vettes are great for what they are, I don't think they will leave a lasting impression on me years down the road like some of the others. I had a 92 Convertible Vette that I haven't missed since I sold it years ago.

Regards,

2Charmed

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by viperdoctor:
Not real happy about this....but the Jan 2002 issue of Car & Driver lists the Z06 as having the best 0-60 time and quarter mile time for *all* cars they tested in 2001!

Thought maybe they didn't test the Viper, but the ACR was listed further down under best top speed -- so they did.

We were also in a 4-way tie for worst gas mileage along with a luxury pickup!

What gives with the acceleration times?!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only reason it's faster is the bump in horsepower and the higher final drive ratio the Z06 has. Put that same rear gear in a gen1 RT/10 and the results would be way different. Plus a gen 2 Viper can run identical 0-60 times as a 405 h.p. Zo6, but as speed builds, the zo6 does lag further behind. The problem with getting the viper 0-60 is that not too many of those same minivan test-drivers can extract the full potential of the Viper, usually in the form of expensive michelin tire smoke.

I wonder what a totally stock viper would run if hooked up to sticky drag slicks?
Craig

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

..... "that in one fell-swoop back in 1992 Dodge introduced an automobile that set back " America's only true sports car" ... how long have they been building them ?
And they're still trying to catch up."

-----------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4