CO2 Emission Figures, and how to reduce them :)

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum; thumbs up for the nice setup!

I searched and searched the forum and can't seem to find solid answers, so please hear me out:

Am about to buy a 2004 SRT-10 (at long last!), and it needs to come back with me to Europe. In Europe we have a one off test based on CO2 emissions, so for the test, I need to reduce CO2 emissions drastically. I don't care about performance loss for the test, because after the test, it can all be taken care of :)

What's the best way to do this? Double Cats? Remap? Special mix of fuel?

We are tested on the mass of carbon dioxide emissions (CO2) (combined cycle) and placed in one of the following categories:

A. For emissions up to 120 gr/km
B. For emissions exceeding 120 gr/km but not exceeding 165 gr/km
C. For emissions exceeding 165 gr/km but not exceeding 200 gr/km
D. For emissions exceeding 200 gr/km but not exceeding 250 gr/km
E. For emissions exceeding 250 gr/km

Anyone have some numbers to share from your emissions tests? Anyone know how low the CO2 emissions can be made to go?

Just to make you guys feel better, the tax to where I plan on taking the Viper is about equal to the cost of the car.. That's how badly I want one...

Thanks in advance, look forward to many future posts and to contributing back to the community.

Guy

FangZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to the German Dodge website, the Viper emits 489g/km. I guess this will put you in category E. Even if you turned off half of the cylinders, you'd still be in category E.....!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't let the greenies talk you into becoming an A-Hole. Plants need co2 to live and grow. More co2 is a good thing. Plants will grow bigger, stronger, faster producing bigger crop yields and respiring out 02. Didn't they have you burn off the o2 in some kind of terrarium leaving behind CO2 and watch the bean sprouts go nuts in a co2 envornment when you were in some grade school science class? A few percent more co2 will feed the world and not bother the non plant living things. Besides it is cold that kills more people due to starvation and low temperatures than some warming trend requiring less fuel to keep warm,a longer growning season etc......... GTS Bruce

OP
OP
G

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the figure FangZ! Well, I'll just have to go into category E and shut up! Better to not get tested at all in case the taxes get worse in the future!

GTS Bruce: I completely agree with you, however if it was possible to reduce CO2 emissions for a one off test and save $20k+ then I'd really try practically anything!

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

Guy

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>...the tax to where I plan on taking the Viper is about equal to the cost of the car...<<<

Austria?

OP
OP
G

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cyprus... It's about 7.7 Euros per cc...for 8300ccs! Then a surcharge of 20% for being in category E..

And that's just the excise tax. We also have EU regulated 10% import duty and 15% VAT on everything (excise tax, import duty and invoice price of car).

The Viper is possibly the worst possible car to import due to our anti large engine laws...

We are allowed to import non-EU cars up to 5 years old, and for those we get a reduction of up to 50% of excise tax only...

Last edited:

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't let the greenies talk you into becoming an A-Hole. Plants need co2 to live and grow. More co2 is a good thing. Plants will grow bigger, stronger, faster producing bigger crop yields and respiring out 02. Didn't they have you burn off the o2 in some kind of terrarium leaving behind CO2 and watch the bean sprouts go nuts in a co2 envornment when you were in some grade school science class? A few percent more co2 will feed the world and not bother the non plant living things. Besides it is cold that kills more people due to starvation and low temperatures than some warming trend requiring less fuel to keep warm,a longer growning season etc......... GTS Bruce

Finally someone has the guts to stand up and speak the truth to the greenies.

Thanks, :2tu:

V

Venomiss

Switzerland
website

Here is the website for Switzerland and Germany . Someone might have some ideas for you there?

Germany
website

Last edited by a moderator: