Cut & Heated My Springs...Car is Slammed!

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Just kidding...they're springs and caps!

After poking around the boards and finding nothing bad on them, I bought and installed Intrax springs because a.) they were $100 cheaper than Eibachs and b.) they lower the car a full inch. I figured I'd throw lowering caps on I bought from A.R.T. while I was doing it just to be sure I got that last little bit of paint off my fascia ;) Also threw on the new wheels I got from Matt at MBC Center too. Once the last Toyo arrives from the seller those will go on too.

I learned a lot doing it with rented spring compressors (ratchet kind, not hydraulic kind :crazy2:) from Autozone but what a pain in the ass...not to mention dangerous. I started at 8pm and ended at 6:30am. I thought it was going to be too low but I only scraped the first time coming out of my driveway; the subsequent 5-6 trips I've made this weekend haven't netted me any battle scars. Maybe I was just used to it being on jackstands for 3 days but DAMN, it sits low now. It's very, very noticeable after having my other car stock height for 2 years and then having this one at stock height. Ride is significantly stiffer but not in a bad way. I LOVE the way it looks now; I was happy with the car before but with the new wheels and stance I couldn't stay out of it this weekend...even on an hour of sleep!

Just because I took them and have nothing better to do:

My best Dave impression...THE HOVERCAR (cuz lifts are for girls):

My pile o' wheels:

The shock adjusted, cleaned up and assembled with the new cap/spring:

Old cap vs new:

25k miles worth of road grime:

The fascia was already chewed up, but this gives you an idea of clearance:

And one more:

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks great! And super level.

Mine's low too. a temporary "fix" for the scrub on the outer bottom edge of the front facia that got me through the summer was I taped off the top line of the 3m protection, removed it, wet sanded and rattle canned the corner satin black. Looked good on my dark car and hid it for the season. When/if I take the facia off it will be all blue again.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great.

... and your profile shot of the car makes me want tint now (I had talked myself out of it).

Nick

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks great.

... and your profile shot of the car makes me want tint now (I had talked myself out of it).

Nick

Thanks for all the compliments!

Tint is kind of a necessity down here; engine temps heat the cabin up enough without the sun beating you down too. Plus I usually drive neket (aerodynamics) and I don't need the entire world seein' all my ****.

Dave, your post got a giggle out of me...the smiley/emoticon library you have at your disposal never ceases to amaze me. I do you proud with the hovercar!? No empties in the background but at 6:30am I'm a little drunk from sleep deprivation.

Red Snake, your car was an inspiration. I wanted to lower the car and I wanted the 18" OEM rims, and when I saw a few pics you'd posted in various threads I had to know how you got the stance (I PM'd a while back and you told me springs and caps). I'm really glad I did the caps at the same time because I have a friend (sirhc76; his blue/white is in the pic behind me) who did the Eibachs and was left wanting more. Plus, with as much work as that was to pull all that stuff off I'd rather just do it once!

I'm happy with it!

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was thinking about lowering my car, but i couldnt imagine it any lower...i already have enough problems rubbing the facia on things already...plus i wanna fit a 28" tire on back some time :drive:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to lower my car too, but the access to my garage is too steep and I only just get my car in there now :( I wish someone would do some kind of adjustable Air shock so that I could raise and lower the car to get over speed ramps, over here in the UK they are putting speed bumps on most of our smaller residential roads :( I now have to think about how I get home, some bumps the car can not get over them!!!

Your car looks fab :headbang:
Great write up

Mark
:uk:

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dude! Sweet! Did you make it out Sat night? I can't wait to peep your new stance.

I went to the north meet with Jason and scouted out another location for a shoot. I'll be free most of the week so if you want to grab a bite lemme know.

i was thinking about lowering my car, but i couldnt imagine it any lower...i already have enough problems rubbing the facia on things already...plus i wanna fit a 28" tire on back some time :drive:

I was concerned (especially after seeing it) that it would rub everywhere I went but surprisingly I only scraped once coming out of my driveway at the wrong angle. I was like "oh no" when I first saw it but thought I'd drive it first and I'm pleasantly surprised.

I would love to lower my car too, but the access to my garage is too steep and I only just get my car in there now :( I wish someone would do some kind of adjustable Air shock so that I could raise and lower the car to get over speed ramps, over here in the UK they are putting speed bumps on most of our smaller residential roads :( I now have to think about how I get home, some bumps the car can not get over them!!!

Your car looks fab :headbang:
Great write up

Mark
:uk:

I know a guy here whose Diablo does that (don't know if it's factory or not) and I thought I heard about a coilover kit that had cockpit controls that a friend heard about over on a p-car forum, but both are significantly more than the $300-ish I paid.

Looks really good but what happens when you need a tow?

Are you recommending a tow hook? I'll just try and not crash and/or get arrested :2tu:

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dude! Sweet! Did you make it out Sat night? I can't wait to peep your new stance.

Recognize the jackstands? :D Thanks again for letting me borrow them; I'd have been out there forever and a day had you not lended me your jackstands and jack.

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great pics. Always fun to see someone enjoying their Viper.

Better hope that ladder never decides to come off the wall. :)

My car sees more of that garage spot than his :)

Car looks even better now and we can take care of that fascia, I have tape that will take a bug at 400mph. We just need to keep the rattlesnakes out of my garage.

I'm seriously thinking about jack hammering the steep **** slope on my driveway out and pouring some new concrete. That is the only thing that keeps me for going a little lower. I have acorns falling of the oaks onto my drive and when I back out at my most proven angle I drag acorns with me. My buddy just had his house built and forced the builder to go with an recessed garage instead of the launch ramp they tend to go with around here. He did this knowing he was going to get a new car, trying to sell him on a viper.

NorthernSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice...i cant wait to lower mine. It just makes the stance/apperance so much better. all cars need a good drop to visually come alive IMO.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong; I LOVED my car before, but this is something else. The wheels were the ONLY thing that bothered me and with the stock 18s and that drop I'm completely nuts about the damn thing. Has the go-fast AND the look-good goodies!? I must have greased the right guy in a past life...

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As always jason.... I want your car
Why, thank ya...how's your search going?

I want Jason's car too haha
Whatcho mean? You have the "evil" twin...blue and silver! Speaking of, still waiting on a good shot from Niagra...:eater:

I just want Jason. :love:
I'm gonna need a headshot and a 500 word essay on why I brought **** back for consideration for the casting couch.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only saw ONE silver/blue striped Viper, believe it or NOT. haha

Will send you pics after my track event this wknd:)

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What did this cost you in parts for the springs and caps?

Looks great!

:2tu:

The springs were $225 plus shipping from Kuruma Motorsports on Ebay and the caps were under $100 from A.R.T. (but that may have been a price for me since I'd just had some work done). The only other expenses were buying a few larger metric wrenches and renting the spring compressor. The rental was $60.

If you're interested in spring caps give the guys down there a call; they have a whole box of them they're looking to get rid of. Call and ask for David or Cody (512.312.2258) and they'll hook you up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang