From Creampuff to Forged....???

Status
Not open for further replies.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a thought...have the tuner call Sean Roe. I may be spit-balling here but Sean may know something about his superchargers. Just saying. :rolleyes:
He tried .Exact reason DLM does not due mail order .Tuner blames engine builder who blamers blower manu ECT ECT ECT.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the tuner send Sean a Vec log?
Not sure he is in the process now of hand fabricating a intercooler that will wind up costin more than the blower kit.Thats why i was curious if others run their Roes their 10lb Rows the same way during the summer months.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ps once again everyones defination of running hard is different my buddy runs the long track at Pocono competitively many times during the year.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Then I guess it's up to the owner if he wants to believe his tuner, his engine builder or Sean Roe.

Since the tuner's lifting the lower several inches so that there is room under the blower for an intercooler he could just buy the bigger whipple blower that he think is the right one and instal that without an intercooler. The intake ports in the manifold are compromisedfor hood clearance. Extra hp could be made by building a higher intake and since taht would relieve some restriction the air temps would be lower, etc. etc.

There's thousands of ways to make horsepower. 10psi on a Roe is what I have and with 9-1 pistons can be run with less timing and NO w/m. Water/**** injection is just to allow increased timing advance and therefor higher hp.

Another option would be to mount the blower sidways and build the blower exit so that it goes to a FMIC (like a TT) and then plumb it back to an intake manifold. Course, where Sean mounted the blower on top of the engine and under the hood is perfect. All other options require chopping up the car.

My blower sits under my stock hood and other than the warning rumble of exhaust, there's no indication that my Viper has double stock hp. :)

Ted

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are over 400 Roe blowers out there. They are a proven product. As stated above, the autorotor unit is extremely efficient and reliable. Sean researched everything around a 5 pound kit. They work pretty flawlessly at that boost. Then the "too much HP is never enough" spirit came along and bigger pulleys and W/M were introduced for cooling the higher boost. I think most who run the higher boost do use tuners who know the VEC inside out or use a different system...like AEM.

Unless your friend's tuner knows the Roe product and VEC inside out, I can see how there could be issues.

As for the VEC unit itself. On the bottom of the box there is a firmware number and box number

Any VEC 2 box with firmware update 5.108 and a box number 682 or higher has all the tools for proper cylinder trim. Our 00 car was box number 715 bought in 3/06. .....so I guess it safe to say that the rich back cylinder issues have been resolved for almost 3 yrs. In addition, the other mod made to correct the back cylinder problem was to use different intake box configurations. The original model (we have one) was square. The newer ones are tapered to the cowl area.

If you are working with an older box than that, you likely won't get it right and I can also see Sean not wanting to get too involved ......with intercoolers being fabricated from afar. Your buddy must have a pocketful of money to keep pursuing this -- like shooting darts at a board.

Steve

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then I guess it's up to the owner if he wants to believe his tuner, his engine builder or Sean Roe.

Since the tuner's lifting the lower several inches so that there is room under the blower for an intercooler he could just buy the bigger whipple blower that he think is the right one and instal that without an intercooler. The intake ports in the manifold are compromisedfor hood clearance. Extra hp could be made by building a higher intake and since taht would relieve some restriction the air temps would be lower, etc. etc.

There's thousands of ways to make horsepower. 10psi on a Roe is what I have and with 9-1 pistons can be run with less timing and NO w/m. Water/**** injection is just to allow increased timing advance and therefor higher hp.

Another option would be to mount the blower sidways and build the blower exit so that it goes to a FMIC (like a TT) and then plumb it back to an intake manifold. Course, where Sean mounted the blower on top of the engine and under the hood is perfect. All other options require chopping up the car.

My blower sits under my stock hood and other than the warning rumble of exhaust, there's no indication that my Viper has double stock hp. :)

Ted
Tuner claims theres room under the hood but the reason Rowe did not put an intercooler on the car in the first place was too costly to do correctly inturn no one would buy the kit(water injection instead )What iam trying to find out is if ANYONE out there roadraces their 10lb Rowes COMPETITIVELY during the summer.People CLAIM to run them hard but everyones def of running hard is different.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are over 400 Roe blowers out there. They are a proven product. As stated above, the autorotor unit is extremely efficient and reliable. Sean researched everything around a 5 pound kit. They work pretty flawlessly at that boost. Then the "too much HP is never enough" spirit came along and bigger pulleys and W/M were introduced for cooling the higher boost. I think most who run the higher boost do use tuners who know the VEC inside out or use a different system...like AEM.

Unless your friend's tuner knows the Roe product and VEC inside out, I can see how there could be issues.

As for the VEC unit itself. On the bottom of the box there is a firmware number and box number

Any VEC 2 box with firmware update 5.108 and a box number 682 or higher has all the tools for proper cylinder trim. Our 00 car was box number 715 bought in 3/06. .....so I guess it safe to say that the rich back cylinder issues have been resolved for almost 3 yrs. In addition, the other mod made to correct the back cylinder problem was to use different intake box configurations. The original model (we have one) was square. The newer ones are tapered to the cowl area.

If you are working with an older box than that, you likely won't get it right and I can also see Sean not wanting to get too involved ......with intercoolers being fabricated from afar. Your buddy must have a pocketful of money to keep pursuing this -- like shooting darts at a board.

Steve
Dollar and time wise its getting CRAZY but thats what you get with a separate tuner,engine builder and equipt provider involved in the fold.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't race my car often, as a matter if fact, I refuse to race COMPETITIVEY with my $140,000 car. I've got $10K Turbo cars for bouncing and bashing. I can't imagine someone hitting my $30,000 Gen 2 hood :(

Racing is about rules and trying to make faster cars (like Vipers) competitive with Mazdas. Not very realistic. Classes etc.

Dosome research and you'll find some Roe supercharged Venom cars that Hennessey ran back in the late 90s that kicked everyones ass (GT2 and 3?). The Venom 650 I almost bought had won 21 out of 22 races it entered. Of course it also had brakes, spoilers, aero stuff, etc. not just the blower. I think it was running 5-6# as it had ported heads and didn't need more boost to kick everyone's ass. Now with the vette running stock blower, maybe 8# boost is needed to win everything? And brakes, etc.
This is the car that did all that winning. I believe it was one of the original Roe research cars that won so much back in the 'day'
This is the car.

You must be registered for see images

Not sure how many of the Roe sc were raced and won nearly every race not sure what brakes etc. You'd have to ask Sean, Hennessey and a few other experts from those days. 21 wins out of 22 races is about as winning as you can get.

I was interested in purchasing the car because of it's history, but the Blower had been removed after the Doctor blew the engine and the engine had been replaced by an SVS engine that wouldn't idle. I passed and bought my big powered Sapphire GTS instead.

Ted

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My buddys car has it all done: full cage, carben fiber hood upgraded brakes,upgraded suspension,fully built(heads ect )engine.This man does not care what it costs(as evidenced by the fact hes spending over 5 grand on the intercooler alone ) only wants it to run correctly.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No offense to your buddy, but if he has the money then why isn't Woodhouse Perf. or Sean Roe building his car?

Ted

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense to your buddy, but if he has the money then why isn't Woodhouse Perf. or Sean Roe building his car?

Ted
Woodhouse uses STOCK PAXTON systems (they are not going to mess with a totally built engine different cam ect).He also wanted to stay local since his tuner had done work for him in the past .

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
NOT Woodhouse Dodge, Woodhouse PERFORMANCE. I think that Woodhouse Dodge dealership was sold to smeone new (ask M Jorgenson - he's Woodhouse Dodge).

Completely different entity as Woodhouse Performance fields about 6 (?) pro race cars of which 2 are their own CC. Many VCA members watched them race at VOI X Grand Prix. They also make a quality shifter and a few other race parts and work with SRT guys.

This one? I can't remember which Vipers Woodhouse Perf. sponsors.

Ted

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Badgts, I think you are looking for an answer that isn't coming.
Maybe you have something against the ROE setup, or just like to stir things up, but to me you seem to be fishing for someone to agree with you about problems with the Roe products. The majority of owners that have the Roe s/c love them.

I think your true answer has been posted - but you won't accept it.
The tuner sounds like he is gouging your friend. A modification to a product that almost doubles the value of the original part is ridiculous. Obviously your friend took the wrong route and should have been told that his expectations could only be achieved with something different.

The Roe/Autorotor supercharger is not perfect. It works as advertised and is excellent for its intended purpose. If it is not "used as directed" then its weaknesses are going to surface.

I hope your friend works something out so he doesn't just dig himself into a hole and blame Vipers and Roe for his moneypit. However, it sounds like that is the case already :(

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My buddy roadraces the big track at Pocono .Runs HARD IN July.As i mentioned heatsoak ,cyl rich,lean issues and high air inlet temps not the only problem had to have the blower seals replaced less than 1000 miles.

IMO the rich cylinders and lean issues sound like a tuning issue. Do you have any idea how much compression your buddy is running? Does he have an upgraded fuel system?

Who is repairing the blower seals for him, PSE Superchargers, Kenne Bell?

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted,
yeah, that looks like one of the Woodhouse Vipers I saw at an ALMS race last year.

The problem is, Woodhouse or Sean or anyone else would have explained to badgts's friend that his setup is flawed to begin with. I think the Roe is great for road racing (even HARD racing). It just needs to be setup and tuned correctly.

IMO, this guy would have been much better off with running a 6.5# pulley and w/m. Then use all that extra money he's dumping in now for top of the line Stryker heads flow matched to a ported Roe lower intake manifold. A custom ground cam designed to take advantage of the Roe, along with Jessel RRs and racing lifters. The bottom end would be built for all out power, but keep the compression ratio conservative for the boost. With a setup like this there would be no need for the higher boost; the extra power would be made by the engine.

He would most likely make more power, consistently, on this setup than just adding more boost and losing power to heat-soak.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I have to admit that I would definitely ask Sean if the 3.1L blower he used would run better for that racing application. Can't imagine trying to drive that thing around the track though. With all that torque it'd spin out so easy at anything under 80 or 90 mph it would be difficult to drive. Win or crash situation?

When I ran my car at PIR it was obvious that I needed 3 days practise just to learn to apply the throttle gently and not overpower the tires every corner. Maybe a much longer throttle lever so that it takes twice the distance to apply the throttle?

Ted

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted,
yeah, that looks like one of the Woodhouse Vipers I saw at an ALMS race last year.

The problem is, Woodhouse or Sean or anyone else would have explained to badgts's friend that his setup is flawed to begin with. I think the Roe is great for road racing (even HARD racing). It just needs to be setup and tuned correctly.

IMO, this guy would have been much better off with running a 6.5# pulley and w/m. Then use all that extra money he's dumping in now for top of the line Stryker heads flow matched to a ported Roe lower intake manifold. A custom ground cam designed to take advantage of the Roe, along with Jessel RRs and racing lifters. The bottom end would be built for all out power, but keep the compression ratio conservative for the boost. With a setup like this there would be no need for the higher boost; the extra power would be made by the engine.

He would most likely make more power, consistently, on this setup than just adding more boost and losing power to heat-soak.
As i previously posted my buddys car HAS an entire fuel system .HAS Tand D Roller rockers .HAS Ross Pistons at 8.5 to 1 HAS a Crower Blower Cam HAS Ported ans Polished Heads Has Crower Rods.The car COLD MAKES over 700 to the tire and drops into 630Ish after 3-4 back to back dyno pulls on a hot day.His a-f iam told is OK .The tuner and engine builder has done MANY VIPERS ,Viper trucks TWIN TURBOS over 1100 TO THE TIRE so iam assuming he can tune correctly

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Badgts, I think you are looking for an answer that isn't coming.
Maybe you have something against the ROE setup, or just like to stir things up, but to me you seem to be fishing for someone to agree with you about problems with the Roe products. The majority of owners that have the Roe s/c love them.

I think your true answer has been posted - but you won't accept it.
The tuner sounds like he is gouging your friend. A modification to a product that almost doubles the value of the original part is ridiculous. Obviously your friend took the wrong route and should have been told that his expectations could only be achieved with something different.

The Roe/Autorotor supercharger is not perfect. It works as advertised and is excellent for its intended purpose. If it is not "used as directed" then its weaknesses are going to surface.

I hope your friend works something out so he doesn't just dig himself into a hole and blame Vipers and Roe for his moneypit. However, it sounds like that is the case already :(
Stir things up ,trying to help a good guy FIND ANSWERS before he takes a 35000 motor.MY ANSWERS have not been posted.PLEASE READ THE QUESTIONS again.Is the blower used on the gen 2 the EXACT same size thats used on the Ford 5.4s Answers: Its a 2.7 I dont know is that the same size thats on the Ford ?Does ANYONE COMPETITIVELY roadrace a Rowe Blower on a WORKED MOTOR RUNNING A 10LB PULLEY:.Answers i race mine but its a 5lb pulley or i run mine hard ect .Question is it normal on a dyno-hot day to lose 80 rwhp ROWE supercharger 3-4 pulls Worked motor running 10lb pulley using water injection.Basically i am looking for ANSWERS from SOMEONE thats running the SAME SETUP AND PULLEY SIZE as my friend that ROADRACES THEIR CAR COMPETITIVELY. The people that have responded either are running much less boost or dont roadrace.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted,

The guy has all of the parts and services YOU MENTIONED .He does not want to lower the boost because he RACES the car and wants the power..The questions asked to determine whether it is feasionable to run the Rowe at the 10 lb level.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think steve said it, the roe is great at the 6.5lb boost level or less for road racing. im sure it can be done with more but not many doing it i dont think. and not doing it as often or as hard as your buddy is.

the Roe is the absolute best SC for a DIY'er for install period. For tuning, anything over the 6.5lb in my opinion should be done by a pro if you really want a very reliable and consistent running car.

i think the paxton would get heat soaked as well on a road course in those temps at those same levels unless you had some kind of better cooling system for it.

a built motor manufactures heat by itself, add a SC and its gonna be tougher to keep cool in my opinion. the more boost or built your setup is, the more you should be looking into a PRO TUNER to do the tuning....

the more you add mods like RR's, heads, cams etc, the more important you should be having a PRO doing the tuning and working with you to work out the details. not all of those mods work so well with each other. its all in the combination of the parts and how its assembled. A fast call to a guy like greg good while planning these mods is a great idea. have him do the heads and help you choose a cam and stuff. there are MUCH better cams than the 708. but if you dont plan ahead for your goals and get it right to begin with youre gonna fight a tune i think. DLM said my car was an absolute breeze to tune. extremely safe and conservative like i had hoped.

of course im gonna throw DLM in here and i know other great tuners do the same thing. he tuned mine on the street in different conditions for a week or so before going to the dyno, his tune was almost right on he said. then fine tuned it there and then back on the street again for more tuning. he had ALL KINDS of tuning equipment in the car at the time. I liked that he hooked up a knock sensor monitor in it while doing so. detonation is NOT ALWAYS heard. it doesn't take a lot of it to hurt a motor either. I know guys like steve and damn yankee do a ton of tuning on thier rig and thats great. but most guys are not nearly as capable of doing it as they are. or at least as willing to REALLY learn tuning as they are..

but if i wanted 550rwhp or so and wanted to Do it myself, id have gone ROE for sure. i just know me and i know i wouldn't be nearly as happy with 550 as i am with 800+.

D

DAMN YANKEE

Whoooow, thats enough...

Tell your buddy this....We are the VCA, The Viper Club of America. We are ********* enthusiasts. We take LOTS of time with members...we take LOTS of time with non members...you don't even own this car, you are a third person "buddy" kind, those are RARE here.

Now I'll speak for myself..... the "my buddy says" stuff for more than a page or two, is GOOFY. When I see it go on and on and on, I think "where the hell is this buddy?" "who the hell is this buddy?" and most importantly "does this guy have a clue about running, tuning and caring for an Viper engine?"

Listen carefully, you have had dedicated, thoughtful answers from some of the best members involved with Roe engines.

1. Facts, please...no more middle man crap, get your buddy to wake up and get on line.

2. Facts...tell him to come with VEC print outs. If he hasn't got a clue as to what those are, tell him "tuner" (and I'm willing to use that phrase for about one more post) to come with hard data, hard pulls, hard VEC based logs...facts.

3. A detailed list of the mods on this car. If he doesn't know what he has, have his "tuner" list them out. Tell him its the big metal thing under the hood.

4. I personally want to see the full sets of plugs on this car. I already know what they look like. I'd be curous to see if your buddy has ever seen them. One photo. I also damn sure the tuner won't want to post them.

5. As to running hard this and that...silly goofy nonsense. This car is either tuned or it isn't. I'm guessing your "buddy's" car has never, repeat, not in its entire ROE life, been properly tuned. Why do I say this? Because you would be bringing a different set of stories and misadventures and more importantly a different series of questions to this board.

If your buddy can't put down his beer long enough to interact with the VCA and get his car in line, well he should be driving a vette. Good point, it might be a vette, have your "buddy" go to the rear of the car and see if it says VIPER. Its the end without the headlights.

Last edited by a moderator:

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha!
Thanks Daniel, that is exactly what we were all thinking as well.
As I said before, all his questions have been answered, he just doesn't understand them or doesn't want to believe them.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
badgts,
we are way off topic here
if you want to discuss this, then get your friend online and start your own thread

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't understand why his power is so low? I had 698rwhp without w/m, stock heads, 708 cam and 10psi Roe. As well, not being a race car I have full exhaust and mufflers.

Now I have a crankshaft vac pump, w/m inj., ported heads, a few other little 'tricks' and expect my next dyno should be close to 800rwhp. !Tony! also runs over 750rwhp. Your buddy has an extra $25,000 into his engine and he's down over 50rwhp? Tuner problem?

Ted

D

DAMN YANKEE

Cause his car's engine is full of water and running overly rich?? Its being dried out as we speak.

Last edited by a moderator:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoooow, thats enough...

Tell your buddy this....We are the VCA, The Viper Club of America. We are ********* enthusiasts. We take LOTS of time with members...we take LOTS of time with non members...you don't even own this car, you are a third person "buddy" kind, those are RARE here.

Now I'll speak for myself..... the "my buddy says" stuff for more than a page or two, is GOOFY. When I see it go on and on and on, I think "where the hell is this buddy?" "who the hell is this buddy?" and most importantly "does this guy have a clue about running, tuning and caring for an Viper engine?"

Listen carefully, you have had dedicated, thoughtful answers from some of the best members involved with Roe engines.

1. Facts, please...no more middle man crap, get your buddy to wake up and get on line.

2. Facts...tell him to come with VEC print outs. If he hasn't got a clue as to what those are, tell him "tuner" (and I'm willing to use that phrase for about one more post) to come with hard data, hard pulls, hard VEC based logs...facts.

3. A detailed list of the mods on this car. If he doesn't know what he has, have his "tuner" list them out. Tell him its the big metal thing under the hood.

4. I personally want to see the full sets of plugs on this car. I already know what they look like. I'd be curous to see if your buddy has ever seen them. One photo. I also damn sure the tuner won't want to post them.

5. As to running hard this and that...silly goofy nonsense. This car is either tuned or it isn't. I'm guessing your "buddy's" car has never, repeat, not in its entire ROE life, been properly tuned. Why do I say this? Because you would be bringing a different set of stories and misadventures and more importantly a different series of questions to this board.

If your buddy can't put down his beer long enough to interact with the VCA and get his car in line, well he should be driving a vette. Good point, it might be a vette, have your "buddy" go to the rear of the car and see if it says VIPER. Its the end without the headlights.

First of all DONT ACT like iam new to this or this site as i have been a member since 95 and my old GTS (NOW OWNED by an ex Nat VCA PRES )WON 4 straight Mopar Atl CHAMPIONSHIPS in the 90s -2000s at ENGLISHTOWN in the mod division (cover car July 2001 Muscle Mustang Fast Ford -shootout fastest TRUE street cats in the NY NJ area).No storys or misadventures just fact.Current Viper is a Gen 4 .

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cause his car's engine is full of water and running overly rich?? Its being dried out as we speak.

Secondly if i ask a use question its for a reason .Over the years of Viper ownership and racing these cars with Professionals like Evan Smith(very guy who holds the VIPER published record for a Gen 2 ) ,Kenny Miele ,and guys like Jamie Furman(should be a professional )i have come to understand that everyones defination of running a car hard is different .You may think you run you car hard totally different when a pro is involved .Tuning is not an issue here as Bob Ida (world famous hot rod )put the tune on car.The issue is whether it is feasable to competitively roadrace a car in hot weather with a 10lb pulley without an intercooler a subject you sare not qualified to answer since you are no where near that boost level and are running a STOCK motor.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've never met any of these 'famous' people you mentioned (Eastern maybe?). Jamie Furman made some nasty coments to me so I know of him.

You may have joined whenever, but your displayed date is March 08. A few threads ago you wrote I was a newbie and stupid, now it's Damn Yankee?

You had a Viper a covercar for a FORD magazine? really? Great.

I didn't even call you names. I jsut tried to point out the obvious

Ted

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never met any of these 'famous' people you mentioned (Eastern maybe?). Jamie Furman made some nasty coments to me so I know of him.

You may have joined whenever, but your displayed date is March 08. A few threads ago you wrote I was a newbie and stupid, now it's Damn Yankee?

You had a Viper a covercar for a FORD magazine? really? Great.

I didn't even call you names. I jsut tried to point out the obvious

Ted
Ted i have been a member off and on since the clubs was started back in the mid 90s.(ANY of the old time NJ guys will attest )If you do a resarch on Evan Smith you will find out besides being editor of one of the worlds largest Ford magazines hes also (along with Jamie Furman)one of the best drivers in the country on stock radial tires as evidenced by his multiple NHRA records .Evan also holds the record of the fastest published time ever for a stock Gen 2 Viper (the very car your driving )11.7.He was John Colettis (Head of Fords SVT )GO TO GUY when he absolutely had to have the best possible time out of a stock tired Ford (Smith was instrumental in drag testing the Ford GT Prototype years before it was released)As far as my car being on a Ford Mag cover the car (now owned by EX Nat VIPER CLUB pres Joe Houss )was chosen to participate in a shootout of the fastest true streetcars in the tri state area .In its day it was a fast Viper the mag chose it and it made the cover .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21