From Creampuff to Forged....???

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not for nothing, but have you ever made a post where you didn't mention Evan Smith?
Do a search. Funny.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ps as far as Jamie Furman if your into drag racing a stock car on stock tires (Viper, Vette ect )no one (including )Smith has turned better times.(one time at a Mopar Nat event saw Jamie run after run put his Gen 2 in the 10s on stock tires trapping only 130 mph.Another time he ran a bone stock Gen 2 into the mid 11s-11.5 to be exact )The man could easily (if he chose ) get a job as a professional.

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed .Ihave a friend from NJ who is TRYING to run a 10 lb pulley on a built motor.The guy runs the car hard in hot weather (roadraces it at Pocono )and is having ONE COMPLICATION AFTER ANOTHER (blower seals,some cyl running rich others lean,MAJOR heatsoak.Our tuner measured his air inlet temp into the engine at 170 degrees after 3 HOT dyno pulls )He is using TANKS of water (injection system )in a afternoon .Our tuner is afraid next the engine will go so hes hand fabricating an intercooler but thats VERY EXPENSIVE .Is there a possibility that when you run over 6 lbs boost the blower is too small for the engine size of the Viper (same blower size used on the 5.4 Fords)and basically working too hard and producing hot air?

Roe uses a 2.2 Autorotor. The bolt that holds the pulley on is the vent system. He shouldn't be damaging any seals.

Yes, IMO the one he uses is too small. It should be the 2.8H that Autorotor cuts gears for.

Making an intercooler and a H/E system for an Autorotor for a Viper is not cost effective, and yes the problem with heat soak is common and won't go away without a H/E system. Post up some pictures of the aftercooler, and the new hood that goes with it.

If your buddy has deep pockets.........go TT.

Also, I rarely post here, but notice you are always stirring up ****.............dunno why these guys here even answer you most of the time.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ted i have been a member off and on since the clubs was started back in the mid 90s.(ANY of the old time NJ guys will attest )If you do a resarch on Evan Smith you will find out besides being editor of one of the worlds largest Ford magazines hes also (along with Jamie Furman)one of the best drivers in the country on stock radial tires as evidenced by his multiple NHRA records .Evan also holds the record of the fastest published time ever for a stock Gen 2 Viper (the very car your driving )11.7.He was John Colettis (Head of Fords SVT )GO TO GUY when he absolutely had to have the best possible time out of a stock tired Ford (Smith was instrumental in drag testing the Ford GT Prototype years before it was released)As far as my car being on a Ford Mag cover the car (now owned by EX Nat VIPER CLUB pres Joe Houss )was chosen to participate in a shootout of the fastest true streetcars in the tri state area .In its day it was a fast Viper the mag chose it and it made the cover .

I guess it's OK that I never heard of a couple of magazine editor/Ford guys from back east? I know Ron from Fast Cool Cars - Fast Cars, Cool Cars, Low Riders, Custom, Classic, Sports Cars - Drifting., Johnathan Maynard of Domestic Driver and Mark G. from Viper mag since I wrote for them, but I'm not sure if I'd call them 'famous'. I wouldn't call myself famous for the dozen or so magazine articles I've written either. I do know some famous Ford guys, Roushe, Saleen, Shelby, Iacoca. I know a lot more Dodge Guys. It is the Dodge Viper Forums after all.

Stock and 'fast' aren't usually spoken in the same conversation. I guess it could be subjective?

Ted

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted i never used the word famous thats your take.The guys names i used were simply reference points in relation to the fact that everyones defination of running a car hard is TOTALLY DIFFERENT and that these guys mentioned are tops out there at driving our Vipers (modded or stock ) .As far as Mags back east the magazine in question is a nationally distributed across the US and is very well known

D

DAMN YANKEE

Thats nothing....here is a shot of me from the foldout of "Timing Lights and Feeler Gauges Racing Weekly"
It was the special 1995 "greatest hot rod tuners issue". I co-authored the piece "Finding Lambda with a Dowsing Stick"
with the legendary racer R. U. Cierius.

Data....data.....the rest is just static in the system....or in your buddy's case....blown gaskets.

Time for *****.

elvis-big1.jpg

As to being qualified to answer your questions on 10 lbs....look at that gut...that is WAY more than 10 pounds and I feel great!

That and I almost get 10 lbs that out of my 5 lb system!
Without ****....with stock cats....with cast pistons....and the car doesn't run well, it runs perfectly. Why? because I spend time building the systems and tuning them myself.

This is data...it kind of is like a story that helps you know what is happening in your motor. Like a TV guide...lets see whats on the LBS today...my my 8.5 lbs!

You must be registered for see images

And then.....Whoooppppeeee! we can tune the milisecond pulse rate of each and every injector throughout the whole RPM target range right to lambda! Need ****? no problem, we can turn it on and off anywhere we want...

When we are done....oh my goodness a perfectly tuned Viper!

Its not that I dont think you havent been here this long or that long...no, not at all.
Its not that I dont want to help you....no, not that at all.
Its not that I doubt you know all the right people and that they are famous....nope, I'm a big believer!
I just dont think your buddy subscribes to TV Guide and he hasnt got a clue whats on.....ever. And as far as I can see, your tuner doesnt subscribe either...

Last edited by a moderator:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats nothing....here is a shot of me from the foldout of "Timing Lights and Feeler Gauges Racing Weekly"
It was the special 1995 "greatest hot rod tuners issue". I co-authored the piece "Finding Lambda with a Dowsing Stick"
with the legendary racer R. U. Cierius.

Data....data.....the rest is just static in the system....or in your buddy's case....blown gaskets.

Time for *****.

elvis-big1.jpg

As to being qualified to answer your questions on 10 lbs....look at that gut...that is WAY more than 10 pounds and I feel great!

That and I almost get 10 lbs that out of my 5 lb system!
Without ****....with stock cats....with cast pistons....and the car doesn't run well, it runs perfectly. Why? because I spend time building the systems and tuning them myself.

This is data...it kind of is like a story that helps you know what is happening in your motor. Like a TV guide...lets see whats on the LBS today...my my 8.5 lbs!

And then.....Whoooppppeeee! we can tune the milisecond pulse rate of each and every injector throughout the whole RPM target range right to lambda! Need ****? no problem, we can turn it on and off anywhere we want...

When we are done....oh my goodness a perfectly tuned Viper!

Its not that I dont think you havent been here this long or that long...no, not at all.
Its not that I dont want to help you....no, not that at all.
Its not that I doubt you know all the right people and that they are famous....nope, I'm a big believer!
I just dont think your buddy subscribes to TV Guide and he hasnt got a clue whats on.....ever. And as far as I can see, your tuner doesnt subscribe either...

I realize your 5 lb system running cast pistons is tuned perfectly(running like an 8.5 lb system) and iam happy for you BUT whats that got to do with a guy who is running a 10lb pulley on a totally worked (Built )motor extremely hard (intended area of use )that is having complications.

D

DAMN YANKEE

They both need a tuned engine???

Definately ripe for a Vette...

Last edited by a moderator:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand they need a tuned engine(i realize you racing experiance is limited but you have to realize the partys your questioning have built a reputation LOL as being slightly quialifyed ) HOWEVER if the engine is in tune what then .Is the problem mechnical or is the BLOWER wrong for the intended USE of the Viper.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand they need a tuned engine(i realize you racing experiance is limited but you have to realize the partys your questioning have built a reputation LOL as being slightly quialifyed ) HOWEVER if the engine is in tune what then .Is the problem mechnical or is the BLOWER wrong for the intended USE of the Viper.
:bdh:

Your questions have been answered in this thread, you are just not willing to accept them.
The Roe is very difficult to tune, even for a "pro" (which you claim is the case), the higher you increase the boost. And this has been compounded by the fact that we don't know who is tuning it and what the tune looks like. All we have to go off is some silly name-dropping and your incessant belief that it is not a bad tune. You won't even entertain the idea that this tuner may be wrong. Post the tuning files and maybe we can help; you are not giving solid evidence to rule out bad tuning. In addition, seeing the logs can help us identify where the problems are. Right now we are just shooting at the stars trying to help you. You need to help us help you.

To answer another of your questions.
Obviously none of us have driven our cars like your friend intends to - you have made that abundantly clear. Thus, you are only going to get info on here that will steer you in the general direction you need to go. Your friend is breaking new ground with the setup he wants to run (at least for the sake of this thread). When you experiment with new ideas you have to face that fact that it may not work like you planned.
Yes, I think the Roe is great, but Sean designed it first as a street modification. In its intended use it works great on the Viper. For your use on a race car, maybe not. This blower design does not lend itself to roadracing primarily because of the heat it generates and lack of aftercooling. Maybe you should have thought of this before you incorporated it into your plan.

This is my final post in response to you unless you start your own thread with some actual logs and tuning files, and your friend gets on here to speak for himself. As I said, all of your questions have been answered to the best of our abilities with the vague, secondhand information you have given us.

good luck:rolleyes:
Tim

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, so eventually I want to go with forced induction. My '00 obviously has cast guts. What do I need to change on the inside to achieve a set up that can withstand forced induction???? :eater:

:usa:

Wow...is this what the thread was originally about? Was your question answered? :D

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, I think the OP is satisfied
this thread needs to be closed

Agreed. If 1BADGTS wants to post Vec logs and tunining info so the members who offered to help can review them, please create a new thread in the Tuning section so the troubleshooting can continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21