GEN V Viper picture at VOI 11....

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maurice took pictures...he seemed to be the only one allowed to take...

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
Hey RUNNR -

One more question (and I know this is subjective AND again, coming at it from a Gen II frame of reference) - if all things were equal (performance attributes aside) and it was all about the "look" - would you buy an old clean Gen II or what you saw tonight? (this should say alot! ;) )

Jim

What I saw tonight.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somebody has a picture......

Somebody, somewhere, at this very moment, is asking themselves - "if I post this pic, will I be deemed a hero?, OR , if I post this, will I be deemed a goofball traitor?"

Post it!!!!! You will be my hero! I promise !!! ;) :rolaugh:

If someone posted it, it would be their last post on this forum, and possibly as a VCA member. It would be a serious violation of trust, and potential legal action would follow, as we ALL signed NDAs when we checked in at the start of VOI.

Dodge is taking this very, very seriously. Posting a picture without approval would be not just biting the hand that feeds us, but biting it clean off.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well at least "the beat goes on" as they say as far as Viper is concerned. We will have a GEN V. It is flattering for us GENII GTS owners that most people compare the looks of any Viper with what we feel is and always will be "The Classic Viper" look - the GENII GTS Viper. It is so hard to improve on a classic. I hope that didn't hurt anyones feelings-just my two cents.:)

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Posting a picture without approval would be not just biting the hand that feeds us, but biting it clean off.

You have it backwards. We members are doing the feeding, not Dodge. They are biting the hand(s) that feed them by not sharing the info. The car has been "unveiled" twice already, enough of the nonsense.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the car isn't being shown because it's simply not finished.

If it were they wouldn't be taking surveys asking what members thought of it. I don't fault them for not allowing photos of a painted clay concept that is still being worked on. Think of it as a preview. What everyone in SLC saw tonight may change a lot by the time the Gen V hits the streets...

Personally, I'm thrilled that Viper lives on :headbang:

With the dragpak V10 Challenger pushing 800 HP, it really makes me wonder what the SRT guys are gonna be able to do with our next engine/drivetrain.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, get's ya thinking of what is going on...

Theory:

Somebody at Dodge wanted to show a mockup of the 2012 to the faithful (VOI) so they had to hurry up...

But, they could not risk stepping on the toes of the "ones who bring them" (the dealers) so they had to be shown first

Solution, show to both groups in private (and neither gruop was given "confirmed" prior notice this was going to be shown, even though it was presumed for the VOI group it was never confirmed...what's up with not confirming for the VOI group, it was alluded to but not confirmed...)

So, why private? Quite possibly because this was rushed and the powers that be are not 100% about something, but, what?

In various readings I have found several bits and pieces including:

a. will use the existing V10 motor with improvements (Fiat's engine management "Multiair")

b. rumblings from supposed dealer meetings with Fiat that the car will likely be out 2013/2014

c. Ferrari chassis/suspension technology will be used (and apparently that is what the mockup Gen V was rolled in on last night)

d. the new car will have less emphasis on being a 'race car'

Given the above and the fact that it takes several months if not a year to tool up a new production plant (getting suppliers lined up, training staff, making all that is necessary to build the car)...and that's after the car is "mostly ready" which seems like it will take a while with redoing the engine and integrating a Ferrari chassis...

A potential 'reason' for the private viewings may be that this car is out further than 2012 for production and they (Dodge) do not want to have their design being 'outdated' ("old") by the time it comes to fruition?

anyway, speculation, that's what I'm left with...

NSRENDR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kcobean please tell us what time you guys are going to have dinner so we can stand by our lap top hoping that someone posts a picture of that thing!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks
Joe.

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmm, get's ya thinking of what is going on...

Theory:

Somebody at Dodge wanted to show a mockup of the 2012 to the faithful (VOI) so they had to hurry up...

But, they could not risk stepping on the toes of the "ones who bring them" (the dealers) so they had to be shown first

Solution, show to both groups in private (and neither gruop was given "confirmed" prior notice this was going to be shown, even though it was presumed for the VOI group it was never confirmed...what's up with not confirming for the VOI group, it was alluded to but not confirmed...)

So, why private? Quite possibly because this was rushed and the powers that be are not 100% about something, but, what?

In various readings I have found several bits and pieces including:

a. will use the existing V10 motor with improvements (Fiat's engine management "Multiair")

b. rumblings from supposed dealer meetings with Fiat that the car will likely be out 2013/2014

c. Ferrari chassis/suspension technology will be used (and apparently that is what the mockup Gen V was rolled in on last night)

d. the new car will have less emphasis on being a 'race car'

Given the above and the fact that it takes several months if not a year to tool up a new production plant (getting suppliers lined up, training staff, making all that is necessary to build the car)...and that's after the car is "mostly ready" which seems like it will take a while with redoing the engine and integrating a Ferrari chassis...

A potential 'reason' for the private viewings may be that this car is out further than 2012 for production and they (Dodge) do not want to have their design being 'outdated' ("old") by the time it comes to fruition?

anyway, speculation, that's what I'm left with...

The highlighted part of your post is the only thing I don't like. Love the "race car" qualities of my ACR. IMO, let them take their time and get it right!!

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have it backwards. We members are doing the feeding, not Dodge. They are biting the hand(s) that feed them by not sharing the info. The car has been "unveiled" twice already, enough of the nonsense.

You make absolutely too much sense so off with you now......

Come on, I mean really. You know they already filed their patents for the shape of the car and did all of this, so they are protected from the intellectual property standpoint. This is all just smoke and mirrors crap that is not to protect them legally, but rather to garner interest.

Next, they will offer an "exclusive" look to a magazine, charge them money which they will gladly pay, and it will be the "best thing ever" as everyone rushes to the newstand.

In the article, they will pan the Gen IV owners, saying this and that are poor, like "The new interior provides a luxury interior with fine quality materials that have been lacking in previous models." And how about "As for the powerplant, there is no final word on the production model, but look for horsepower to be greater, in the 640 to 660 hp range, making the world sit up and take notice." As if the previous cars were a joke. How about "The fit and finish will be miles above the previous models that were originally made in a garage as Fiat has now taken ownership and will bring Ferrari quality standards to the model."

Typical Stuff. The truth is that the car is most likely not even close to done. They started late, were asking questions for months and we won't see it for some time.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What was shown, as suspected, was a late stage investigative effort. It was not a functioning vehicle. It was a full scale mock up. I think that Sergio and Ralph know what they are doing and that they are doing it well.

There has already been millions of dollars worth of free advertising/promotion for Chrysler as a result of this effort. Everyone is talking and writing about it.

To what extent did the mockup look like this?

You must be registered for see images

bigdeep1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of great reasons have been brought up why the 2012 has not been unveiled. I too am DYING to see any real hint of the 2012. I also recognize that dealerships still have brand new 2009 ACRs that need to be sold. If I was Dodge, I would not want to overly distract consumers in 2010 with 2012 hopes...without selling all the 2009 stock (let alone 2010 stock) worth 6 figures a pop!!

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I was Dodge, I would not want to overly distract consumers in 2010 with 2012 hopes...

Perhaps that works with OTHER car companies... Dodge is a car company like no other. They want to keep the family happy.

VCA members are not JUST consumers of this product, we actually get a lot of say, and a lot of communication with the engineers of our favorite car.

I doubt it will be a year before they show us what they have in mind. It's hard to wait another day, but I can see where the body has to be finalized before introducing it to the World.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What was shown, as suspected, was a late stage investigative effort. It was not a functioning vehicle. It was a full scale mock up. I think that Sergio and Ralph know what they are doing and that they are doing it well.

There has already been millions of dollars worth of free advertising/promotion for Chrysler as a result of this effort. Everyone is talking and writing about it.

To what extent did the mockup look like this?

Not at all. The 2012 is not a Ferrari, Alfa, or Masserati. It is very nice looking though.

By the way, security was very tight at the sneak peek. No cell phones, no cameras. They used a wand on us before we were allowed in and we had to show our VOI credentials. I doubt you will see pics anytime soon.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's really interesting that the Dodge dealers that saw it were quoted in Orlando as saying Alfa, and not an update of the GTS :dunno:

I really wonder if its the same car shown at both places... Just doesn't make sense that a Dealer of these cars could be so far off...

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Amen, let's see the ****in' pics already....

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that space aliens have taken over Dodge upper management's bodies, and they no longer care about the few VCA members that can't wait until they finish the design and release it to the general public on their own terms.

Or, maybe they are enthusiasts who wanted to show their fellow enthusiasts what they have at the moment, and this was the best way to show off their baby before it is born, while changes are still possible.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They used a wand on us before we were allowed in and we had to show our VOI credentials. I doubt you will see pics anytime soon.

A wand couldn't detect a throw-away film camera that has no metal parts at all ;). Just saying. This secrecy by Dodge is very silly :rolaugh:.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car is absolutely gorgeous and we were assured by Ralph and engineers that it would have the Vipers heart and soul in other words Take no Prisoners! The car I saw was breathtaking and was not a remake of the GTS although it was the next step evolution wise.most certainly will not be confused with a Corvette or Gen4.we were told dealers saw car through smoke and never got a good luck at car.Vca members on the other hand were within three feet of the car.Ralph stressed we would be very pleased with the new interiors.Do not be fooled with all the crap out there car is a go car, is absolutely freaking gorgeous and at the same time wicked looking!!!!!

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel discriminated as a paid VCA Venom member to be not shown what others have seen. I wanted to go to VOI but couldn't because of my business trip...not going should not be a reason for us VCA member to not be able to see the pic. Post a PIC in the VCA member only section...If that's too much post it for an hour so we paid members are given the opportunity to view what other members have seen...

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel discriminated as a paid VCA Venom member to be not shown what others have seen. I wanted to go to VOI but couldn't because of my business trip...not going should not be a reason for us VCA member to not be able to see the pic. Post a PIC in the VCA member only section...If that's too much post it for an hour so we paid members are given the opportunity to view what other members have seen...

There is no way to control a posted picture on the internet. The folks at Dodge would not be smart to do that if they want to keep the design confidential for now. I don't feel slighted in the least. I don't feel like I am owed any special sneak preview just because Stevie and Judy got to get a sneak peak at VOI.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"VCA Members Only This is a VCA members only forum. As they say, "Membership has its privileges"..."

Where are my privileges? lol

04mystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So from what I am hearing, the car looks nothing like any of the renderings and sketches floating around the net?

And it doesn't look like the alfa romero?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, does it look like this:

It does not look like that. To me the car is the perfect mix of all generations. When everyone does get to see it I think you will all like it. I just want to know what the vert will look like :)