How to install lowering spring caps.

GTSSSS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1996 GTS, I am trying to instal the spring caps that lower the car .75". Trying to do it on the car, anyone hae experience with this? Proper tools, etc.

Thanks,

Harry

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pull the shock and spring needs to be compressed.can not do on car unless you have a tiny spring compressor.

LPDesRoche

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's pretty simple really. Removing the shocks is straight forward. Two bolts one at the bottom another at the top. (with car safely off the ground on jackstands or a 2 post lift) Go ahead and remove them. Once removed you will need a spring compressor, they are available for purchase fairly cheap or you can rent one from your local parts chain more than likely. Make sure the one you get will fit in between the coils of our small springs some will only work with regular size coil springs. Place one compressor on each side of the spring and tighten down evenly. Once you have enough clearance you will be able to remove the factory spring cap. Install shorter cap in it's place and repeat 3 more times. As for getting them back on the car I find that a nice pry bar set works great for doing this job without help. An assistant always makes it a bit easier but I rarely have one handy. So no special tools needed besides spring compressor and a pry bar set assuming you already have a decent tool set with the proper size sockets and wrenches.

1OF76RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did mine on the car. Just used a regular spring compressor. It was a little tricky working around some suspension parts but it can be done.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep, great advice from LPD. i'll add to that, make certain to pry the shock from the bottom when pulling the bottom bolt, and pry down from the top when pulling the top bolt to get everything aligned so they slide out without stripping the threads. Also, unbolt the swaybars to assist in prying down the suspension to get the shocks back in.