Just got back from picking up my DLM Viper!

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from a 3+ hour trip from Miami picking up my new beast from DLM. I bought the car from Don (8AVETTE) but the car was at Doug's luckily (much closer than MI).

First of all, this is my first Viper. Impressions. This car is a BEAST in EVERY sense of the word. The car is fast and it really hooks, even on stock Pilots. It is also one of the last cars I would ever pick to drive 3+ hours in, ever again. You already know the pluses and minuses, so I won't bore you. On to the spectacle that is Viper.

I've read many stories about the looks these cars get. You guys were sandbagging! I could not believe the looks I got on the highway (unfortunately no flashing, yet). I'm an ex-Vette guy like many. No comparo. When we stopped for lunch, two separate couples stopped dead in their tracks, backed up and took pictures of themselves next to my new car while we watched from the window. Old people and young alike flocked at every gas station. I stopped in two different neighborhoods where people came out in droves. Again, girls coming out with cameras.

Of course, I had to stop at the first annual bikini contest at ******* on my way home. Again, flocked. Questions, pictures, will you pop the hood, how much power, no really how much power, oh my god it really makes that much power, etc. If I had this car when I was single, I'd be dead from some sort of STD, guaranteed.

And power. This thing just keeps pulling. It is FAST but so controllable. It is really no more difficult than driving my old Z06 which was more than 2 seconds slower just in the quarter mile (which as you know is monumental). Even when it spins the Pilots (1st, 2nd and the sweetspot in 3rd), it goes perfectly strait. The biggest problem, shifting this thing so damn early. It's not the speed at which the revs climb so much as the extremely low shift points. Off to the track I go to get those down.

Bottom line, this is the ultimate toy for around town dominance. Thanks to Don Wilson and Doug Levin for building what ultimately became my beast.

One thing, it has the Corsa exhaust and it DRONES at 2-3000 rpm. Anything I can do?

Thanks,

Chad

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add an X-pipe, Chad. Welcome to the Viper world! Your glow is just beginning. Please post pics as soon as you can.

Reaction score
Chad -

I enjoyed reading your post! It was so nice seeing you and meeting your wife today. Not only do you have good taste in cars, but women too :)

I tried to call you this evening to make sure you made it back ok :2tu:
If you have any questions about the car it's ok to call my cell on Sunday but only because your a newbie :D

I'll look forward to hearing from you and please be safe!

Doug

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It never gets old .....other people enjoying your Viper as much as you enjoy it! :2tu:

Cudaman :usa:

OP
OP
C

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys and a big thanks to Doug for going out of your way for me. I did buy one of your cars but not even from you! I'm impressed by you, your organization and especially your cars. And so is the rest of FL so far as I can tell. :D

I'm getting ready to put a few hundred more miles on her today (again with no license plate). It's funny, at ******* last night there were cops everywhere and some checking out the car. They never made mention of the license plate missing. Blinded by the beast I guess. :2tu:

Chad

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how do you like it so far? Any good shows or races :laugh: I've heard that car is a real show piece. Any pics :2tu:

-lou

OP
OP
C

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe this f'ing car. It just keeps getting better. And once I can keep my knee off the dash with tomorrow's seat lowering kit purchase, I will be in heaven (and be able to turn the wheel with both hands without tucking my left foor UNDER the clutch pedal).

I can't get over how easy (and obviously fun) this thing is to drive. First gear is actually usable with a careful right foot on Pilots with 3.55 gears! That is counter-intuitive to what you would expect from 800+rwhp but once you get the hang of it, this car just flies. Second gear is a piece of cake now and third can go almost wide open with just a little pedaling. My wife already thinks I know what I'm doing. I must be getting smooth.

I will be ordering the Pilot Cups tomorrow and can see reserving a spot later in the year with Doug for the latest and greatest. You FI guys were right, it is addicting and you really can't get enough. Crazy, but cool.

No kills yet but more thumbs up, screams, questions and photographs than driving a UFO, on fire. I love this car. Just wish I new two Vettes ago. So much wasted time without a boosted Viper.

Chad

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe this f'ing car. It just keeps getting better. And once I can keep my knee off the dash with tomorrow's seat lowering kit purchase, I will be in heaven (and be able to turn the wheel with both hands without tucking my left foor UNDER the clutch pedal).

I can't get over how easy (and obviously fun) this thing is to drive. First gear is actually usable with a careful right foot on Pilots with 3.55 gears! That is counter-intuitive to what you would expect from 800+rwhp but once you get the hang of it, this car just flies. Second gear is a piece of cake now and third can go almost wide open with just a little pedaling. My wife already thinks I know what I'm doing. I must be getting smooth.

I will be ordering the Pilot Cups tomorrow and can see reserving a spot later in the year with Doug for the latest and greatest. You FI guys were right, it is addicting and you really can't get enough. Crazy, but cool.

No kills yet but more thumbs up, screams, questions and photographs than driving a UFO, on fire. I love this car. Just wish I new two Vettes ago. So much wasted time without a boosted Viper.

Chad

Aiy Caramba, you have 3:55 gears and 800+ RWHP? I'm surprised you don't spin those pilots in 4th gear! Let me know how those Sport cups do for you. I have similar power but stock 3:07 gears, and they will not break loose in 2nd gear. With 3:55's, yours still might if you punch it at 4000 RPM. Be sure to PM me and let me know.

-Manny

OP
OP
C

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald, I am out of town for almost two weeks starting tomorrow and back on the 26th. Hopefully my Sport Cups will be sitting by the front door on the 26th, I'll have them mounted on the 27th and if you and anyone else in the area are free, meet you at ******* on Sunday the 28th. I owe you for the ride last time so I'll buy, after the roll-ons of course. I'll PM you when I get back.

Yeah TQ, the attention is truly incredible. I always discounted the posts about the attention until getting one. Now I know what everyone was talking about. But let's face it, that's the icing on the cake. The true value is having a car that is this much fun and being able to enjoy it with fellow Viper owners/enthusiasts (yes Chuck, that includes the track).

Cheers,

Chad

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enjoy that beast and don't forget to post some kills!!!!!

-lou

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Chad, that's it now I want the car back................I realy mis her bad.(kidding) I'm so glad you like it so much, I have alot of time in that car. enjoy and be safe.

OP
OP
C

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don,

I was hoping you'd show up and take credit for this beast. Well done my friend. Between you and Doug, you built one bad MF'r. It has already taken over as the Alpha car in Sarasota.

Thanks for the opportunity to enjoy this car. I can't wait to see what you build next. All I ask is that you give me first right of refusal on your new 1500 rw super Viper. :D

Talk to you soon.

Chad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi