My dreams of owning a Viper... Crushed today with a 20 min test-drive!

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's been a few minutes......

It'll take a while for the vette gals to think of a good retort.

Ready for the next salvo.

having a bad day....
Dave

ASASN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's only got 805hp....perfectly streetable and gets 30+ mpg to boot!!
I guess in a parking lot, I just don't need the attention that you apparently do....mighty insecure aren't you!!

Even though you're a Dick yourself, if you're ever over in my neck of the woods, please look me up.....Even though it's beneath you to ride in a girls car...I still love to take you out and show YOU what a fast car really is all about!!

I was having a friendly debate with some genuine car guys!! You chose to make it a personal attack against me because I'm over here having this discussion.....

You right, it's time for me to go...so from me to you......you're number one......and guess which one it is.....
adam....you should be happy also!!

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact is that this thread is absolutely worthless to all viper enthusiasts and owners, your trash talking and explanations about your car are worthless to us..We have neither the time or the energy to care either way..enjoy your car and its abilitys with fellow vette owners who actually CARE! because we don't...

This is a time of year when we viper owners get together to talk about mods were contemplating over the winter...not mods you've done to car which is totally off topic!

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I've said before, it's like trying to convince Baghdad Bob we were in Baghdad or the OJ jury that he really was guilty. No amount of hard facts or proof will change the mind of someone who doesn't WANT to face reality.

What you vette affectionados don't seem to realize and someone posted it earlier, is that MOST of us here already know more about the vette than you do. Nearly all of us have owned at least one corvette prior to owning a viper. The number of people who have owned a vette and moved up to a viper compared to the number who have moved back down to a vette after owning a viper is probably about 500 to 1. That alone should tell you something. Do you really think people tend to move backwards on a performance level? I don't think so. Apparently, at least one has and that was his choice. First time I've heard of it after all these years.

Then again, I'm sure there might be one or two in the history of the world that traded in their Lambo Diablo or F50 because it didn't have cupholders or because it didn't fit for them. Doesn't mean the F50 or Diablo still aren't two of the top performing vehicles in the world. Same with the Viper. My mother certainly wouldn't want any of these vehicles, but she might go for a vette. I know my wife feels that way too. The vette is a great car for some people. Just don't try to artificially elevate it to the level of a supercar or exotic. It's silly and you will look foolish doing so.

I'm personally excited about purchasing my next vette within the next few weeks. I will be getting the coupe and modding it to better than z06 performance as several of my friends have. I just don't care for the notch-back styling of the z06. It takes away from the only thing going for the c5 styling, it's nice curves.

The cool thing about the viper is that it's already the fastest production car made in the U.S. so I really haven't felt the need to mod it extensively. I did mod my exhaust now and it sounds VERY good.

As far as the truck engine in the viper, like I said, it really shows you have no clue about vipers. This fact alone makes me really doubt you ever owned one. If the viper engine is based off the truck engine, or it's just an 8 cylinder with two more cylinders welded on, then you would say there are a lot of interchangable or share parts, correct? Well, there aren't any, that's correct 0, zero, nada. That's because it was an entirely new engine. The only reason some people still believe that was because the original development team heard that the truck team was going to have a ten cylinder engine. That's the "basis" for the rumor. that's it. The Viper engine and the truck engine teams used two different designs. The first viper prototype did use a v8 with two cylinders welded on. This was not a production model and was only to show as a proof of concept. The Viper engine design and the truck engine design started as a design on paper. Once the two teams realized they wanted two different things out of their engines, they went their separate ways. The Viper team sent their design to Lamborghini and after the Viper team received prototypes back, they decided to re-design the engine again themselves as the Lambo designs weren't reliable enough. So, team Viper designed the engine again using some of the lambo team's visual cues. There are zero shared parts between the truck engine and the viper engine because they are two different engines. They have 10 cylinders and that's about where the similarities end.

So, if you're going to rip the viper, please at least try to be accurate with your insults.

Also, you mention you think the Viper is ancient technology. I guess that's what makes you so upset. The fact that even though the Viper is "ancient technology", a dinosaur of a car, it's STILL a faster, better handling and more beautiful car than the newer, hi-tech corvette!!

Now THAT'S FUNNY! :)

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, here is my two cents and it isn't really on hard fact performance. The Viper, even a "old / rustic " gen1 can EASILY go 160. Show me the first car of any line of Vettes that not only can go 160, but do it with the ease and relative stability of a Viper. Fact is when I see a Vette, it's just a Vette. But visually, when a Viper comes around, not a single head stays still. They almost always look. Be it a small twitch or a full-blown stare...EVERYONE LOOKS AT A VIPER...NOT A VETTE!!! I have had several offers to ride in high performance Vettes, Prowlers, even freaking 2001 Diablos...why? Because I wanted to and these owners care to let others feel the excitement. How many Vette owners...none...why? I don't care. I will stick to a group, who on the whole has been tons nicer to me; a 23 year old kid with tons of enthusiasm. The Viper has always been a frontrunner when compared to Stangs or Vettes. Don't get me wrong, both others have awesome cars, but are merely playing catch-up. Even if they are gaining ground fast, the Viper was, and still is the only true american exotic. Modify a Vette, or a Stang as much as you want...it's still a Vette or Stang. Why do I want a Viper? The excitement can be read about but not truly explained. Why don't I want a Vette? Because if I am looking for the true muscle, hair raising, speed limit breaking, eye catching American experience, girl getten home to bed experience, why start at a lower level when I can go for the gold...A VIPER!!!! :headbang:

p.s. Hey, for a 23 year old kid, a nice car that gets women, is a awesome thing. Not the reason for a Viper...but a definet perk... :2tu:

OP
OP
C

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're a *******. Do some research... yeah the viper can go 190 but it's no where near as aerodynamic as a c5. If you guys are so informed you shouldn't try to fight me on this one. The C5 will top out w/ ease and is solid as a rock. It isn't geared for ultimate high speed w/ 3.42 gears and maxing in 5th gear.

Dang cratica you writing a novel? I'm really too tired to read all that. Just got back from a date (saw ELF, very funny)in my Z06... you guys were right all along. She took care of business, but she actually told me that if I had a Viper I'd have been getting laid right now!

Hey you guys don't worry I have C5-R headlights too. They'll be in this week so you can look at those... I'll make sure to post pics for everyone to see.

I posted a thread on the corvetteforum about my neighbor who just picked up an '03 Z06 after riding in my car. He has a 2002 M3 and after a ride in the Z it just wasn't enough anymore. Now if got jackasses from the M3 forums over on my thread yelling to me about how my interior ***** and their car's are such better curisers blah blah blah. Alas I digress and APPOLOGIZE for writing my post in the fashion I did. I could have made it viper friendly but I didn't becuase I thought it was funny. The M3 jerkoffs are annoying for hijacking my thread when all I was doing was telling a story on my forum.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct on this one Cobra4B. The drag is much better on a c5 design than the viper. That's the price to pay for some styling I guess. However, unless the car is running a hi-speed NASCAR superspeedway, it won't ever really have an effect.

One of my vette friends calls my viper a brick because of the drag coefficient. My reply is, "yea, but it's a BEAUTIFUL brick, oh... and my brick is faster than your vette!".

Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this is one of the funniest threads I have ever read here on the forum. The attitudes ond comments made from both Viper owners, Vette owners, and guys who drive neither are just too much. :D

VENM8R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sniff..sniff...I smell ass - never mind, that's just Cobra4B hanging around again.

Cobra4B is the little cling-on that needs to be flushed away. Ignore this nauseating cretin, it will serve to only incite him into puking more useless drivel here.

Is he too dim-witted to grasp that this viper forum and section only pertains to vipers and that the "corvette" forum pertains to...guess what? Apparently so. He is nothing but a troll.

BIGBADCJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's only got 805hp....perfectly streetable and gets 30+ mpg to boot!!
I guess in a parking lot, I just don't need the attention that you apparently do....mighty insecure aren't you!!

Even though you're a Dick yourself, if you're ever over in my neck of the woods, please look me up.....Even though it's beneath you to ride in a girls car...I still love to take you out and show YOU what a fast car really is all about!!

I was having a friendly debate with some genuine car guys!! You chose to make it a personal attack against me because I'm over here having this discussion.....

You right, it's time for me to go...so from me to you......you're number one......and guess which one it is.....
adam....you should be happy also!!

you have no idea what fast is, i will skull drive you and i wont even spray. better keep you chick car up there its not gonna fly down south. i cant believe i missed 4 pages of this thread. i will say a stock z06 will run 161mph in the standing mile. my viper wasnt ready for the shootout so i had to borrow my brothers z06. how do you get 30mpg? you must mean in neutral going down a hill. :eek:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
11 pages and Cobra gets something right! Even a blind squirrel can find a nut sometimes. The aerodynamics NUMBERS on a GEN1/2 Viper are not as good as a C5. C5 was developed many years later. But as YOU say a Viper can go 190. I think we would all concur the top end of a Gen 2 Viper is probably higher than your C5, so does the aero number matter? AND aero on an SRT Gen 3 Viper is MUCH better than a C5, so you're gonna have to wait for your fabled C6 to get your bragging rights about aero back, and hey, we're kicking your coupe butt with a Vert right now! And in order to get the aero number on the C5 it's unfortunate that the back end of the car needs to look like a miss matched genetics experiment involving a dump truck and an Abrams tank. But for us here that's still OK, we never see the rear end of a C5 unless it's parked.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cobra said....
"You're a *******. Do some research... yeah the viper can go 190 but it's no where near as aerodynamic as a c5. If you guys are so informed you shouldn't try to fight me on this one. The C5 will top out w/ ease and is solid as a rock. It isn't geared for ultimate high speed w/ 3.42 gears and maxing in 5th gear."

And YOU called HIM a *******? You just said the the aero NUMBER was more important than the top speed. This kind of preschool bench racing logic is why you continue to get your ass handed to you in an unfriendly manner here. And to just flat call someone a ******* after you have repeatedly apologized for coming here with the wrong attitude is to me really incredible. The guy you called a ******* is currently in the market for a Viper, he's such a ******* that he decided to completely skip the stop at Corvette heaven on the way to Viper ownership. Hmmmmm....

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Diesel, you forgot something in your sig, (I'm just having fun) :)

Go: Halltech Candy Pomegranate TRAP,Hurst Shifter,Polished B&B Bullets, 2stickschewedWrigleySpearmint under pass dash to finetune/balance car for autox events, 2 pages insurance/reg in dash, 1 crumpled receipt from Sonic, polished radio tune knob, triple coated waxed front door posts to help lower drag coef. double coated insect repellant on front fascia to ensure max airflow and reduce turbulance from knats, mosquitos, other sticking insects.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper_SRT has pointed out that anyone who owns a Viper, could have had a Vette instead.
Logical proof, when money isn't an issue,
Viper was the car of choice.

Same logic says,
Vette owners could have had a Cobra.
They chose the Vette.

Moving right along,

Cobra owners could have had a Focus...... With a wing.....

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Posted pics of mods in reference to Vipermad's post. Where were you today? I replied w/ what I did today... that's all. I'm done w/ this thread for good! b/c it's completely off track from my original purpose.

Either you went to school on the SLOW BUS or NO BUS

STAY AWAY

UNDERSTAND........WE DO NOT WANT OR NEED YOUR IMMATURE BS

AND FOR YOUR 800 HP FRIEND..ASS AN

LIKE I ALWAYS SAID BEFORE...MONEY DOESNT MEAN YOU HAVE "ANY" CLASS OR BRAINS...SO OBVIOUS HERE ASS AN.....TO ENTER A VIPER SITE AND BOAST OF RWHP OVER A STOCK VIPER...

THIS GUY IS REMINDING ME OF HOMER SIMPSON.....QUOTE FROM HOMER TALKING TO A TELEPHONE OPERATOR.......... :( .....OPERATOR,OPERATOR,QUICK...WHAT IS THE NUMBER FOR 911?

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee,

Glad you liked the Corvette for the wife comment. Although I posted that as a joke, it's really true. But Corvettes are also great cars for car guys too. They're pretty good work cars too. You know, when you need to leave it at the airport or park at the mall...

Anyway, you seem like you are either interested in this Z06 stuff, or else you are just having fun with these Corvette guys. I have known J-Rod for almost 15 years. If you want to continue discussions, feel free to post here, send PM's, or email for any third party validation/verification of anything he has posted here. I am familiar with J-Rod's car and his many track outings. And since I am more of a Viper guy than a Vette guy, I have no reason to mislead or BS you.

Notice the mph for J-Rod's 1/4 mile runs. They are in-line with other Z06's. Only the elapsed times are significantly faster than typical. Here's an embarrassing analogy... Most people criticize magazine test drivers about their slow times. At this past weekends Texas V-10 Nationals I drove my Venom 650R SRT-10 on street tires. I consistently ran about a second slower than the MotorTrend test driver did at the same track, on the same tires, and I had better weather conditions. The driver makes a huge difference in quarter mile elapsed time. Oh, and by the way I never thought I was that bad at the drag strip. I was able get an 11.86 @ 123 out of my SRT-10 when it was bone stock, including the run-flat tires.

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks John... :)

Ok, in my "work car" (John's term for the Z06) y'all were asking how I can cite wheelspin with a 1.45 60'. Easy, the tires were spining. You can even watch videos of the car running and see that it is spinning, and moving around on some passes. Sure, there isn't tire smoke, the car hasn't totally lost traction, but it is spinning.

I don't know how many of you have ever competitively drag raced, but a 1.45 60' is ok for a hard running street car. The car we are sorting out for class racing 60's in the low 1.3's, and the difference in a good run and a horrible run (depending on the track) in the 60' times is only about .05.

I don't know if y'all think 1.9 60' times are the holy grail or what. The 4th trip to the track in my car I was cutting 1.85 60' on the stock radials. during the summer I got my car into the 1.7s on the stock F1SCs. I consider a 1.7 60' good for a stock radial. Keep in mind that knocking down your 60' by .1 is worth .15 or better in the ET at the end of the 1/4. Thats the secret to winning street races and drag races, outlaunch the other guy...

There is a real easy way to figure HP from timeslips, look at the MPH. there are a lot of cars (like Supras) who don't 1/4 mile all that well in some cases, but run crazy MPH. That is a key indicator of the HP the cars are developing. Look at me and John, he ran an 11.86 @ 123. I ran an 11.93 @ 114.52.

Here is an open offer to anyone. If you want to check my car out, or check the validity of any of what I am saying I will be happy to post timeslips, or whatever else. I run at HRP, and they don't post the times on the scoreboard on Fridays or Sundays (when I run) so I can't post a video of the scoreboard of my stock car running. But, if someone wants to come out to HRP and watch the car running, I will be happy to show them the timeslips as soon as I pick it up. If you want to race me, let me know. I'll be happy to set up a race with anyone.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a ******* is someone who has passion for a vehicle, has a open mind (but doesn't make compromises), and wants the best ( A Viper ), then I guess I am a complete *******. Hey Cobra, guess it makes me more of a ******* that I at 23, am going to buy a Viper with MY OWN MONEY. Man, how stupid and idotic am I...shame shame shame...lol

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome back John, I've been around Corvettes forever, owned so many I've forgotten how many, but somewhere between 20-30, I still own a top flight 69 big block. And my wife has indeed been driving them as daily drivers, as have I. JRod dropped in at an unfortunate time, following the misguided ravings of Mr Cobra, who is still rambling around the proverbial china shop here like a bull on steroids. A quick reading of just this page only will give you a rapid insight into both his confrontational style and irrelevant drivel. He has linked back and forth and admitted that his goal has been to pi$$ us off by coming here.
Having said all that I don't think most of us have had this much fun since "the bannings" This guy is wonderful chum. JROD on the other hand sounds like the real deal and I think that if he had simply put up a couple time slips on another thread he would have been readily accepted and praised. Unfortunately, he appeared initially to be be a shill for Cobra.
Finally, this IS a Viper site and bringing performance stories about how fast a Vette is here just seems kinda misplaced though. Especially in the middle of a 10 page troll eviction. It is the internet, it's all in fun and JROD shoulda had his flame suit on and a time slip in both hands when he came in here right behind Cobra.

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, I want to apologize if anyone thought I was here to badmouth the Viper or to try to demean this car in any way shape or form. I have said this before, but I will do so again. I like the Viper. I really do.

In fact when John got his Viper I liked it more than he did, especially when he thought it was nothing more than a "f$%^ing parade queen" to quote him. I still have nothing but respect for the Viper. Having known John for many years I know exactly what the good and bad points of the car are, as he is more than happy to share his exact thoughts on any one of his cars, Vette or Viper.

I can however see that for instance there are some of y'all who have owned C5s, and simply didn't like them for one reason or another. All of those are in my mind valid reasons. It is alos valid in my mind that Mr. Cobra might not have liked the Viper for whatever reason and choose not to buy one. I recognize the fact that the old saying is true different strokes for different folks.

Everyone has differnet tastes and different motivations when it comes to buying a car. I think its great that y'all are as passionate about your cars as you are. To be passionate about something is the mark of an enthusiast. Sometimes though folks get hatfel and defensive as an attempt to justify or rationalize thier buying decision. You often see this in the tuner wars, etc... which plauge just about every forum on the internet I have ever been in.

My only point in joining this little discussion was to simply provide a bit of factual information on what the Corvette can do, while balancing that with the appreciation of the Viper and what a fine autombile it is.

Both cars have their strong points, both have their faults... The important thing is that you enjoy them. As for me, my car was never intended to impress anyone. I didn't buy it to make time with the ladies. I didn't buy it to turn heads. I bought it because I wanted the lighest, fastest, stiffest, best braking, highest HP Corvette avaliable at that time. If all I wanted was a car for the **** factor I could have spent less than I would have on the Vette or a Viper and bought a used Ferrari. Used 308 and used 328s are cheap (some less than 30K), and if you want to turn heads shown up in a Ferrari... John actually talked about buying one for his work car. Sure it might not be real fast but its a Ferrari and it looks good and its sure to turn heads.

Now, as most of y'all are Viper owners, there are things that are really cool about the Viper. It has gobs or Torque avaliable the powerband is wide and abundant. We've already heard all about the brakes on the car... John has always caled his car the UPS truck as the V10 has a weird exhaust sound to it because of the V10. V8s and V12s have wonderful exhaust sound, V10s sound kind of odd to me. But, I am a Buick Gn guy, and I think the Turbo V6s sounds kind of odd also. Ther eis nothing wrong with a car having "character" to it. You either love it, hate it, or tolerate it.

Agian, if anyone wants to come play let me know... I'd have come to San Antonio for the shootout, but already had plansd for the PRI show in Indy...

OP
OP
C

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can you say I was spouting misguided drivel? The things I said about the viper back in the first post were all true to me. I hit my head and knee, there was no room to the left of the clutch, the interior was even cheaper than the vettes, the car was silent and didn't sound very good, the shifter feel was poor, and the car wasn't substantially faster than my Z06. How is that meaningless drivel?

Woopidedo your 23. I bought my Z06 w/ my own money and I'm 22. I said you were a ******* because you said that the viper was the only car that could EASILY do 160 w/ more left in it. That's just plain wrong.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I said was show me the first car, of a series / line. I never said the Viper was the, "only car that could EASILY do 160 w/ more left in it." If you're gonna come on these baords, come prepared, come with enough intellect to read and not call people names...that's what is wrong.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact remains, you could have bought a Viper and modded it.
Had you done this, you would have a car that was much faster than the Vette or cobra you have now.

People would notice your exotic Viper and often tell you how cool it must be to drive a Viper. Seemingly everyone would want to talk about your car.

When they found out you had a blower and heads/cam work, they would simply go nuts.

Your Viper would run in the 9s and still be a street car.

However, you chose to buy a Vette or a cobra. Perhaps you didn't want to spend the money that a modded Viper would require.
Perhaps you maxed out your credit getting your Vette or cobra.

Perhaps you could have had a modded Viper supercar but you just decided that you wanted a Vette or cobra instead.

Whatever the reason, you made a mistake. The modded Viper would have been cooler, faster and for a number of reasons, more fun.

You had your chance. You could have been a contender. You simply made a mistake. Ask anyone.