My dreams of owning a Viper... Crushed today with a 20 min test-drive!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"The fact remains, you could have bought a Viper and modded it.
Had you done this, you would have a car that was much faster than the Vette or cobra you have now.

People would notice your exotic Viper and often tell you how cool it must be to drive a Viper. Seemingly everyone would want to talk about your car.

When they found out you had a blower and heads/cam work, they would simply go nuts.

Your Viper would run in the 9s and still be a street car.

However, you chose to buy a Vette or a cobra. Perhaps you didn't want to spend the money that a modded Viper would require.
Perhaps you maxed out your credit getting your Vette or cobra.

Perhaps you could have had a modded Viper supercar but you just decided that you wanted a Vette or cobra instead.

Whatever the reason, you made a mistake. The modded Viper would have been cooler, faster and for a number of reasons, more fun.

You had your chance. You could have been a contender. You simply made a mistake. Ask anyone."

The movie? I can't remember? I think Marlon Brando was in it.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some people a vette is enough. That's fair enough. For others, we wanted more so we stepped up to the viper. Why is that so hard to understand? Year for year, mod for mod, the viper is a faster, better handling car. Does it matter how much faster, or how much better handling? Not for me. It's just a better car in areas I'm interested in. Looks and performance. To continue to debate which is better is kind of silly, it's been proven in every single documented comparison.

Remember, we're talking about the car, not drivers. That's the only argument whereby a vette or any other lower performing car can compete is by bringing the driver factor into it. And we're not talking about mods, nearly any car can be modded to beat any other car. That too is a silly argument. Apples to apples, not apples to oranges, Viper wins every time.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a report from another thread on this board. Will you be running your C5 or your cobra against this street Viper?

"Folks - Dr Roof just ran his first pass this morning down at the V10 nationals. The result:
9.93 @ 151 !!
This was blower only, no nitrous, on ET streets."

Wow, first pass, ET streets, I wonder how fast it really is?

Please, spare me the, "I know a guy.....story".

Please spare me the, "he spent more money than I make in a year" story.
We all know it takes money to have an exotic supercar.

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, the Viper is what you wanted. The Vette is what I wanted. Its not a matter of not being able to afford it. Its more simple than that. I am a Chevy guy. Thats my arena of choice. I like racing Chevrolets. I am not into Mopars. Its not that I hate them or anyhting, its just not my thing. Just like Mustangs. They're cool enough and all. I have worked on them, built motors for them, and even driven a few. But they aren't my thing either...

My focus, and what I enjoy. Not you, or anyone else, but what I enjoy is Chevrolet, so thats my choice. If you want to equate my choice on vehicles to some compromise I must have made, or not having money or whatever rationalization you want, thats great and all. But, its simply not the fact of the matter.

I said it before, I'll say it again. Folks have their own reason for making their choices. I have mine, you have yours. Doesn't make it right or wrong. It just is what it is....

As for the driver having no part in the matter I would disagree with that wholeheartedly. There is no ideal world out there. Only the real one. You can win all the races you want on a piece of paper or on the internet with a bunch of big HP numbers. Until you run it down the track it is only so much hot air. If you or your car can't use that power, or can't put it to the ground, the only thing it is good for is being a dyno queen and making good post conversation.

If you run someone and they win, do you feel like the other car was faster or do you chalk it up to driver ability...

I uploaded two more videos from the Thunder Shootout. Keep in mind the MPH is only 121 since I had to add 220+ lbs of ballast to make class weight. The first video is a side shot of the car, you can hear the tire spin just a bit. No Problem Raceway (where this took place) is one of the best prepped tracks I have ever been to. They prep the track all during the day, and cleaned and re-prepped the track after street tire classes ran. Even with that I could spin the tires leaving just a bit. In this pass you can also see the car move in the shot from the rear when I hit 2nd. The two videos are the same, and shot from two angles.

Track prep @ HRP and Ennis has been no where near as good as it was at NPR.

http://users3.ev1.net/~black_ops/video/11.23.wmv
http://users3.ev1.net/~black_ops/video/11.23-2.wmv

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JRod, you're Chevy mentality is laughable. That's the issue here, you only see Chevy, no matter if it's better or worse, it's a Chevy and that's what you like. I like the Viper because it is the best.

Again, you don't WANT to compare just the car because you will lose. I guess it wouldn't make you feel too good if you owned up to the facts.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"My focus, and what I enjoy. Not you, or anyone else, but what I enjoy is Chevrolet, so thats my choice."

I'm glad you like your Focus. My choice would be a more rounded car. But like you say, "thats my choice".

"As for the driver having no part in the matter I would disagree with that wholeheartedly."

Really, you should go back and read what the man said. I don't believe he said the driver makes no difference.

Getting back to your mistake in not choosing to drive a Viper.
If you had a Viper, a modded supercar Viper, you would know what we have been trying to tell you.

VENM8R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FransiscoR:
Ok, here is my two cents and it isn't really on hard fact performance. The Viper, even a "old / rustic " gen1 can EASILY go 160. Show me the first car of any line of Vettes that not only can go 160, but do it with the ease and relative stability of a Viper. Fact is when I see a Vette, it's just a Vette. But visually, when a Viper comes around, not a single head stays still. They almost always look. Be it a small twitch or a full-blown stare...EVERYONE LOOKS AT A VIPER...NOT A VETTE!!!
Not bad, FransiscoR.

Cobra4B:
You're a *******. Do some research... yeah the viper can go 190 but it's no where near as aerodynamic as a c5. If you guys are so informed you shouldn't try to fight me on this one. The C5 will top out w/ ease and is solid as a rock. It isn't geared for ultimate high speed w/ 3.42 gears and maxing in 5th gear.

Woopidedo your 23. I bought my Z06 w/ my own money and I'm 22. I said you were a ******* because you said that the viper was the only car that could EASILY do 160 w/ more left in it. That's just plain wrong.

Cobra4B convolutes everything he reads, or should that be misreads?

It is amazing what kind of people that are supposedly graduates of college these days...yes, truly amazing.

Trying to reason with a horse's ass is futile...after all, its only purpose is to produce excrement. Everything that comes out is crap, period.

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is impressive. Props to Dr. Roof on a very good time with some very sick MPH. No doubt that is impressive no matter how you slice it. RSI's post about the 1049RWHP car is also quite impressive too.

I have seen some numbers put out by JH and RSI that are quite impressive. Heck I 've sen the cars in person... We used to go street race with Preshant and Gerald and some of the other local Viper guys over on the Beltway. Ask them about racing DJ99SS from a roll...

If he or any other Viper owners would like to take it to the track against some C5s he can come to the Tuner shootout in S.C. Vipers are welcome to compete.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=690885

C5's

stock bottom NA
stock cubic inches PA
advanced CI NA (vipers welcome)
advanced CI PA (vipers welcome)
open class, any CI with multiple PA etc (vipers welcome)

Fbodys: classes same as above

zr1 exibition run seperately (determine their own rules)

If you'd like to see some video of some of the cars running who are going to be there, Here is a little video compilation from Vstella of some of some of those cars...

Right click and save as. Its 11 meg in windows media viewer format.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/vstella//p711mbfinal.wmv

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JRod, you're trying to turn this into a vette forum, ain't gonna happen without gettin' some grief. It's all fine and dandy that you prefer vettes, we don't care, that's your choice. What are you trying to prove here besides the obvious??? You say "to each his own", but you come right back and try to defend the vette like a die hard chevy guy!!!! (ON A VIPER WEB-SITE!!!!!) That's where you lose credibility, most of us just don't care!!!!!!! I agree, to each his own, bottom line, this ain't the place for a vette post and we're all havin' fun 'pushin buttons'. If any of us want to see a vette we go to the vette site, many do. I didn't come to this site to see your vette do 1/4 miles,,,,
you might think I'm narrow-minded, but that's your right. This thread is a real joke and you guys are the brunt of it and you just don't get it,,,,,,,,,,, it's time for you two to go back to the vette board,,, you chose the vette over the viper, why are you here???????????? Why would you choose to beat yourself in the head with a rock?, because that's all you're accomplishing here.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are forced to add drivers to the equation, I understand, otherwise you wouldn't be able to handle the outcome. Noted.

It's too bad some people only see red, or blue, or... chevy. Sure are missing out.

It's like someone being raised on grits all their life and too stubborn to try steak or lobster. "It's what I know, it's what I like, don't want none of that there clammy fishy thang or that brown slabby thang you call fill it mig none."

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, if any of us wants to see a vette we just go to our garages or outside to the street corner and wait about 15 seconds, one will surely pass by! :) LOL!

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, if any of us wants to see a vette we just go to our garages or outside to the street corner and wait about 15 seconds, one will surely pass by! :) LOL!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JROD....proceed immediately to your Opthamologist...you have what is commonly referred to in the medical community as Bow Tie Myopia. If left untreated you will face a lifetime of driving jacked up Novas and big block Vega transplants. These will be the only upgrades available to you if your condition is not treated. And you will subsequently be denied any possible enjoyment of the Ferrari or Lamborghini brand. This is a very sad state and will probably require the consultation of a good psych doc. Prozac will be required once you realize that no matter how much money you make or how far you succeed in your career you will be limited only to the availabilty of cars manufactured under the Chevy moniker. I can see you now, commuting to your 300k a year job in that brand new Impala or Malibu.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jrod says,
"The C5 will top out w/ ease and is solid as a rock. It isn't geared for ultimate high speed w/ 3.42 gears and maxing in 5th gear."

How would you gear it to make it "geared for ultimate high speed"?

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny that Lee mentioned a jacked up Nova. Either he knows J-Rod or he read him like a book. Hey J-Rod, you still got that old Nova. Sorry J-Rod, but this was just too funny to resist...

And it's one of our other friends that had the big block Vega, not J-Rod.

George Bryce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the ASASN well, He has the most powerful C-5 that I have ever been in. He had a Viper...he sold it...he likes Vettes better, I am glad he does. We need Vette owners so there will be a GTS for us when we, the viper fans, want one. ASASN's car is TTLPE, big power, no bull. All Vette hotrodders want to out run Vipers. I know Mike is a good guy...loves to race. You know it's all good when we talk about cars, and leave the personal side out of it. Let's you and I, my Viper Brothers, be better than the Squids that come over here to our site and keep the remarks about the cars and not the persons. Let them love the Vettes....we know what each car is good for. I drive my ZO6 in the rain....but not my ACR! Peace out, GB3

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is upset, are they? I think some of the comments are funny! That's the only thing good about this post is that it has been quite hilarious at times.

Lot's of good vette guys out there, peace to you!

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey look, I'm not a blind chevy loyalist. I have worked on a lot of cars in the past. I have worked on a lot of engines. I have friends whoa re died in the wool Mopar guys. I have friends who are died in the wool Ford guys. There are reasons I like Chevrolet, so that was of course one of the reasons I purchased a Z06. It wasn't the only reason, but sure it was a reason.

As for the Vegas, Monzas, Novas, Camaros and any other bowtie you can imagine. Yes, I have a few of them. In fact I looked recently at picking up another one that would make a good car for some class racing.

Sitting in the shop right now are a:
02 Z06 Stock
02 Z06 (H/C car)
87 Buick GN (built motor with a TA64)
72 Nova (my car from the street racing days) its all apart awaiting a rebuild
67 Camaro (numbers matching SS car that I am restoring)
64 Ford Falcon (351W w /C4)
88 Nissan show truck

70 Nova that is a backhalf car with a B/SM SBC making about 780 HP
68 Chevelle (C/S car #3 in 2002 and #5 in 2003)

I'm not trying to convince anyone to go buy a Z06. Heck, like many of you said, you had a c5, you didn't like it, and you bought a Viper. Thats good enough in my book. Cobra felt different, he tried one, and for the reasons he stated, didn't buy a GTS. As far as I'm concerned thats cool too.

From John's comments to me about his car, and its "character" I never even put the GTS on the list of cars I would consider. Like I said, I like the way it looks, but at the time I bought my '02 I had a choice between a Z06, a GTS in its last year of production, wait on the '03, or buy some exotic. In looking a the performance, the aftermarket support, etc... the Z06 was an easy choice for me. I wanted a race car, not a "f^#$ing parade queen", to quote John. Heck when John bought his '01 Z06 he drove it over to my shop and was showing me the car, and said "You really need to get one of these for yourself". I admit, I really liked his car, but had wasn't really in the market for a new car at that point. In fact I hadn't even looked at a new car. I had other projects cooking at that point. Six weeks later I owned a 2002 Z06.

Step forward a year or two. Now you have the '03 Cobra, the '03 Viper, etc... Now there are several other good choices out there along with the Z06. You can take an '03 Cobra and for very little money (relatively speaking) Put a KB on it and have a 9 seconds ride.

Again, this discussion started out with folks disagreeing with Cobra on his reasons for not buying a Viper. Along the way it turned into a discussion of the performance of a Z06 (which Cobra owns) vs a Viper. Which is where I joined in. You have all the discussion about what a slow car the Z06 is, I posted up my real world experiences.

As for the whole blind loyalist thing, I think perhaps a few folks might want to look into the mirror when it comes to that. But, like I said we are all car guys. If we ended up out on some Saturday night at the local cruise-in. I'd give you props on your car. I'd hope we could all hang out and talk cars, etc... After all, thats what its all about anyway. Like I said more than once here. If a Viper is what you love, thats great. You obviously got the car you are happy with. I n the other hand got the car I wanted, and am really happy with it. If I felt like it didn't meet my needs and a Viper was what would fill that need, then I'd go get one. At this point, I don't feel that way. For me, I don't see any reason (for me personally to get rid of my car for a GTS or an SRT-10).

You can say I'm wrong, or that I'm stupid, or that I don't get it, or whatever you feel like if it makes you feel better about your car buying decision.

---------
Ok, enough of that. I do have a couple of questions for you Viper guys. I know what the Vette guys run. I am curious. I didn't go to the V10 nats since I was at the PRI show. You see a Viper at the track every once in awhile. I was wondering what some real world numbers on the different Gen cars are (GenI-GenIII). You see all the magazine tests, I was wondering what folks in the real world have seen with their Vipers at the track. I don't know if anyone has the info readily avaliable, but I was just wondering wha the fastest times recorded were for a Gen I, Gen II and Gen III Viper. I know John ran an 11.86 in his Gen III, but I hadn't seen too many other posts about folks taking their cars to the track. If you have some simple bolt on mod like a new airbox, I guess post that up, But I was just wondering what he best times for a Viper were.

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey kid, you've missed the whole "mystique" of owning a Viper. You've got to be able to feel it in your gut.

Owning a Viper is like picking up a hot, biker chick in a bar, and not sleeping all night long.

Owning a Corvette is like taking the local librarian to the malt shop, and getting home at 9 PM.

They are both dates, but with a HUGE difference.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HAHA! That's funny:)

What the heck let me get in the mix, Supras rule;)

JUST KIDDING! PLEASE don't take the Supra comment seriously:)

For whatever it's worth I know a LOT of high HP Supra owners and most of them (by a very large margin) would rather have a Viper than a Vette (in fact many own both and some all 3). Then again one of the things that attract people to Supras is rarity which you get with the Viper so maybe that makes sense?!?!?

I have never been a huge Vette fan but there are definitely some bad Vettes out there. I have been a HUGE fan of the Viper GTS (more so than the RT/10) ever since I first saw one. Definitely a head turner!

Hey kid, you've missed the whole "mystique" of owning a Viper. You've got to be able to feel it in your gut.

Owning a Viper is like picking up a hot, biker chick in a bar, and not sleeping all night long.

Owning a Corvette is like taking the local librarian to the malt shop, and getting home at 9 PM.

They are both dates, but with a HUGE difference.

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree Supra, I have never been a really big Vette fan (although I would like to have a new Z06 as a daily driver) but have always been a Viper fan. That is why I sold my Supra for the GTS. Although I like the Z06, I would never have traded the Supra for the Z06, seemed like a lateral move rather than trading up. The funny thing is that the Vette guys don't understand that when they come on a Viper forum and brag about their cars, talk [******] about our cars, we jump on them about it. Supra, why don't you go on their forum and post your thoughts of the Vette similar to what Cobra did here and see how quick they will jump all over you.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Viper Brothers, stand back, we are about ready to host the next Corvette vs. Supra war. I think we should start renting this bandwidth! lol

Myrick...I did read JROD like a book, his present reads like my past and get this...I also still have a 73SS Nova, also in pieces!

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee - I was just making a point that they would do that same thing we are doing to Cobra4b if someone posted something similar on their forum.

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for being nice Snakestr and giving some intelligent feedback. Everything you said makes sese and would make the car far more enjoyable. Man that comp coupe is beautiful!

Adam you're right I was driving the new srt-4 neon... the salesman said it was a viper, guess I'm a *****.

Go re-read my initial post you guys... the tone wans't viper bashing at all, but most you guys got offended and acted like pricks. It seems many of you bought these cars to boost your ego's not race them. Yeah I got lots of stares tooling around in that snake today, but a yellow Z06 w/ wheels gets plenty of looks for me.
Spell check needed here!! :headbang: