Need help installing Autoform Rollbar.........please

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing an autoform rollbar on my '98 GTS. A fellow member took it off his rt/10 when he found it wouldn't work with his new folding hard-top. So how do you guys attach the bottom legs? (the vertical legs running behind the seat) There's also two forward-facing bolt holes at the top center of the rollbar. Are you supposed to drill holes and use bolts/nuts? If so, how do you get behind there to secure a nut?

Who knows, maybe I'm trying to install a rt/10 rollbar into a GTS. I was told the rollbars are the same, but have no documentation. By some chance would any of you have any written instructions you could scan...? Worth a chance. Thanks!

BTW - the factory-powdercoated rollbar looks GREAT and looks to fit perfect. All I need is to secure it in place. And I won't be needing the Autoform fiberglass rear bulkhead if anyone is in need of one.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing an autoform rollbar on my '98 GTS. A fellow member took it off his rt/10 when he found it wouldn't work with his new folding hard-top. So how do you guys attach the bottom legs? (the vertical legs running behind the seat) There's also two forward-facing bolt holes at the top center of the rollbar. Are you supposed to drill holes and use bolts/nuts? If so, how do you get behind there to secure a nut?

You need to get some rivnuts from Autoform. You drill a 17/32" hole, insert the rivnuts, and then the bolt threads into them. As far as the holes in the floor, I think you use a bolt and nut. Its been a while since I did mine. The rivnuts are used in the areas where you couldn't get access to from behind.

Contact Autoform to get the correct hardware.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You need to get some rivnuts from Autoform. You drill a 17/32" hole, insert the rivnuts, and then the bolt threads into them. As far as the holes in the floor, I think you use a bolt and nut. Its been a while since I did mine. The rivnuts are used in the areas where you couldn't get access to from behind.

Contact Autoform to get the correct hardware.
Exactly what they did, use a backing plate on the underside of vehicle for the nut also.

OP
OP
T

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Okay, a few rivnuts later and after lots of fiberglass cutting it's IN!!! The rollbar is very secure with all the mounting points they use. Now comes the cutting of the stock bulkhead. Since I've already cut slots in it for my TeamTech harnesses, I may as well cut the holes for the rollbar. I believe it was Vipermad who did this and it came out looking great.

In my opinion the fiberglass bulkhead that came with the rollbar is kinda cheesy. Thanks for all of your input. Autoform was awesome in getting me the instructions and answering a few questions. Tony was great to deal with!

GTS Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"You need to get some rivnuts from Autoform. You drill a 17/32" hole, insert the rivnuts, and then the bolt threads into them"

How many of the mounting points are mounted with rivnuts? I guess it would be ok for show but I wouldnt want to bet my life on a rivnut pulling out thats for sure.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Job...If I had read this earlier I'd given you some hints..Chad knows all about this installation too...(BTW) thanks Chad!!

Ahhh yes, what a fun time. Throw in some 1000 degree GA summer heat and it was a lot of fun :nono: But hey, if I ever buy one, you owe me Todd! :)

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"You need to get some rivnuts from Autoform. You drill a 17/32" hole, insert the rivnuts, and then the bolt threads into them"

How many of the mounting points are mounted with rivnuts? I guess it would be ok for show but I wouldnt want to bet my life on a rivnut pulling out thats for sure.

Maybe 6 actual rivnuts. The way the bar is bolted in the floor and into the bulck head, I don't think that bar is going anywhere in the event of a crash. I don't want to find out though. ;)

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mentioned it was in an RT before; so does that mean the RT and GTS rollbars are identical? I was told previously that the support point to the rear firewall (between the seats) was different between the RT and GTS...
BTW, if you still have the rear fiberglass bulkhead, I'm interested in it..

OP
OP
T

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I do still have the fiberglass bulkhead. PM me if you're interested - I could possibly deliver it to Portland to avoid shipping costs.

There are only 4 rivnuts and 12 Grade 8 bolts keeping it in. It is going NOWHERE!! The guy I bought it from said it would fit my GTS - and yes, it came out of his rt/10. I called Autoform and they were wishy-washy about possible differences. The guy on the phone said he thought there were slight differences in the two models. I can tell you that it bolted in perfectly and is rock solid.

I just finished cutting my factory bulkhead last night and plan on re-assembling after I spend hours vacuuming out all that fiberglass dust. I'm anxious to see how much if any seat room I sacrificed.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm anxious to see how much if any seat room I sacrificed.

I dont think Todd lost any seat room (though I dont believe his seat reclines back anymore), but I do know his emergency door release handle is no longer able to be pulled down enough to open his driver door. It bumps into 1 of the legs on the rollbar. He could cut the handle in 1/2 and it would work, but its an RT...he can just climb out the top :)

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my RT, the handle is tight. No offense, but there is about 3/4 of an inch of 'play' in the bar placement and if autoform provided instructions, people would know to check this FIRST before drilling.

On mine, the plastic handles will contact the rollbar on both sides equally... but if you pull the handle at an angle (plastic _does_ bend a little) then the door will open.

I'm anxious to see how much if any seat room I sacrificed.

I dont think Todd lost any seat room (though I dont believe his seat reclines back anymore), but I do know his emergency door release handle is no longer able to be pulled down enough to open his driver door. It bumps into 1 of the legs on the rollbar. He could cut the handle in 1/2 and it would work, but its an RT...he can just climb out the top :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4