Need Help with cooling fan

Trbulnc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the car out for a drive tonight, came home and parked it in the garage and before shutting it off I heard a scraping/rubbing sound. It was coming from the cooling fan on the radiator. Question is....the fan itself is loose and wobbles on the shaft..is that normal? There is a clip on the front for a retainer, am I missing something. I let the car run for another minute and the fan never started turning. Should the fan blade assy. be tight on the shaft or has the fan motor possibly seized?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Model? Year? If pre-98, I think most would say to just upgrade the fan assembly to the 98.5 and up. Not knowing the model/year makes it difficult. :)

OP
OP
T

Trbulnc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, it is a '96 roadster. I got the fan assy. out and took it apart, there is a dowel pin that runs through the shaft of the motor which allows the fan to seat. The pin is gone and the underside of the aluminum fitting in the fan is wore pretty bad also. Anyone have a spare fan and dowel pin they want to sell?

Stephen

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Stephen,

I would just upgrade your fan...you're talking about $160 or so..plus it will work a lot better.

I had the same thing happen on my 1994 viper.

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i had the same thing on my 98..........i took a razor and scraped some of the bottom of the plastic shroud off and the noise went away. However I am also going to upgrade to the 99+ model year fan.

OP
OP
T

Trbulnc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help and advice! Ordered one today.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte