putting my Viper away for winter

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine officially starts hibernating Nov 1. That's when the road coverage switches over to storage fire and theft. Took it out last Fri night prob for its last rip. Was about 8 deg. Had lots of fresh cold air. Was in south Oshawa and noticed the salt brine truck had done a patch down by the 401 - so I quickly turned off onto another side street. Couldn't believe they were putting that stuff down at 8 deg above! It wasn't even going to dip below 0 the whole weekend !!!!???? Maybe they were testing out the salt trucks just to get ready - but thats my cue to put the baby away. I guess these guys don't realize they just pre-maturely ended cruising for alot of car nuts earlier than necessary. This government is hippocritical. They rant and rave about environmental responsibility and then start putting salt to the road 1 month before the snow even arrives. Came back from Hamilton Thur night and noticed the same salt brine trucks had spread across Highway 7. Its fricken 17 degrees right now!:bonker:

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Won't have to put all the toys away here until probably mid-late Nov. There is usually a few nice driving days here and there in Nov. It's fairly easy to do as they are parked pretty much the same way summer and winter, so it's just a matter of wipe downs and a round of battery tenders. The bikes will be first followed by the cars.

Winter kinda ***** because of no driving/riding, however it is great to have the time to catch up on maintenance on all of them.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well.... I'm still riding my bike!

And I never put my car away. Calgary has pretty mild winters and the Chinooks keep the roads pretty clear. When the roads are cold it's just like having a few hundred extra horsepower.

Shane, why do you take the wheels off? Isn't it best to store the vehicle on its tires? If you use jack stands you're putting stress into the chassis someplace it wasn't designed to receive it. I don't know - just asking.

Greg

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just gave my 2 rides a coat of wax today and will top off the tanks and put stabil in.

Sleep tight.

Bruce

Crompton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well.... I'm still riding my bike!

And I never put my car away. Calgary has pretty mild winters and the Chinooks keep the roads pretty clear. When the roads are cold it's just like having a few hundred extra horsepower.

Shane, why do you take the wheels off? Isn't it best to store the vehicle on its tires? If you use jack stands you're putting stress into the chassis someplace it wasn't designed to receive it. I don't know - just asking.

Greg

I have always taken them off for a few reasons.my garage is not heated which allows for the concret to get very cold.And leaving tires on a cold surface for extended periods of time so i have heard will allow them to develope that lovely flat spot all in the same spot.I could be wrong but since i have to take a look at everything in the suspension i figure i may as well take them off.I only keep them on the jacks for a short period of time.I place the car back down on railroad ties so as to distribute the weight over a larger area.Is this wrong or is there logic in my madness?

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always taken them off for a few reasons.my garage is not heated which allows for the concret to get very cold.And leaving tires on a cold surface for extended periods of time so i have heard will allow them to develope that lovely flat spot all in the same spot.I could be wrong but since i have to take a look at everything in the suspension i figure i may as well take them off.I only keep them on the jacks for a short period of time.I place the car back down on railroad ties so as to distribute the weight over a larger area.Is this wrong or is there logic in my madness?

I don't know.

I always thought it was best to leave the car resting on it's wheels. You might park it on something like 4pieces of plywood so the tires are off the concrete - I really don't know.

Greg

Crompton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know.

I always thought it was best to leave the car resting on it's wheels. You might park it on something like 4pieces of plywood so the tires are off the concrete - I really don't know.

Greg

i did the plywood thing the first year i got the car.But used the wood for building.lol

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh what that crazy plum said.

I have 4 pieces of carpet I roll it onto, then overinflate the tires

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heres mine

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg