Some Insurance Advice?

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently am paying 1300 per 6 month term with Progressive on my car... and I'm searching to slash my insurance cost within the next week (I need to renew before July 30th).

I called both Hagerty and Grundy, but now I'm worried because of what they say about their insurance policies. I drive my car ~2000-3000 miles a year, don't use it to commute to work or anything, really only a weekend car. However, I want to make sure no matter where I am, the car is being covered. I didn't think this was too much to ask.

Does anyone have coverage with either Hagerty or Grundy? Their prices they quoted me were pretty good...

Hagerty: 1000$ per year with 2500 mileage limit
Grundy: 700$ per year with no mileage limit

Neither of them sent me their exact policies yet but I'm sure some of you are covered with these guys and can put their policy in layman's terms.

Thanks guys,

-Chris

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EXPENSIVE !!! :(
In Canada I pay 900$US for 12 month with 700$ deductible.
You should check with Liberty mutual in the States.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Allstate is about what Frank Barefield, above, is paying.
Of course, I have a good record and they think I'm too old to do any crazy driving.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't go with Hagerty or Grundy unless you truly only plan to take it to car events or cruise around and return home without leaving it in a parking lot (like restaurant, store, movie theater).

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my state farm is $619 every 6 mo, 45 yr old, $1k deduct, no points or chargeable accidents.

Usually I don't even get 6 months of driving in Michigan and the rest covers storage coverage.

Seperate $1m umbrella

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do all your insurance with 1 company .State farm is good.Insure all vehicles,house and contents or appt. etc. contents.They will cut you a better deal that way.Also get car appraised or everyone will low ball you if it is lost.My car appraised for $75,000. Bruce

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Chris - you biggest problem with insurance is going to be the fact you live in/near Philly. I know people whose insurance increased 150%+ just because they moved into that area. I can give you the name of my insurance guy (in Wilmington) who may have a contact there, but don't let other folks trick you into thinking you're being screwed over - you're paying a lot, but I personally know people paying much more for a whole lot less car.

Let me know and I'll see what I can do.

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris - you biggest problem with insurance is going to be the fact you live in/near Philly. I know people whose insurance increased 150%+ just because they moved into that area. I can give you the name of my insurance guy (in Wilmington) who may have a contact there, but don't let other folks trick you into thinking you're being screwed over - you're paying a lot, but I personally know people paying much more for a whole lot less car.

Let me know and I'll see what I can do.

You think that's bad....try living New Orleans. I hear they estimate almost up to 75% of people here DON'T have insurance...so, the rest of us get to pay for it...

I know that's a mighty high number, but, I've heard it from a lot of people since I moved here. I pay $230/mo for renter's ins. and car ins. I have $500 deductibles...

Funny thing is, I called State Farm, and they said my insurance will decrease $0.48/mo when I get a Viper. :cool:

nfelmlee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris

I am in NJ and my insurance increased by $1800k/yr when I added the viper with Liberty Mutual on top of what I already pay on my other 2 vehicles. Maybe give them a shot? They've been relatively good to me especially given that my wife has totalled a vehicle insured by them.

-nick

Photo pro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have exotic car insurance through American National Property and Casualty (ANPAC). $600 per year. The car must be in a locked garage when not in use (unless I am out in it) and I can't put over 7,600 miles per year.

Call Dennis Guinn 706-866-1500. Good guy, drives a vette though...

LP Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I live in Baton Rouge, and my premium actually DID go down when I bought my 96 RT10 and sold my 99 BMW Z3 in December. I pay $780 every 6 months for 25/50 w/ a $500 deductible through State Farm. Best way to save money is to have ALL of you insurance through one insurer. I have my homeowners, 2 vehicles, boat and camp and get a SIZABLE discount.

Auto insurance market in Louisiana is terrible - 75% non-insured drivers is probably about right.

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Haggrety. I pay $1100 a year, which is excellent for south FL. Progressive would have been over $3000 a year. Plus with haggerty I have a stated value for my car, so if something does happen, I don't have to worry about them screwing me on the value. This happened to me a few years back when my 911 turbo was stolen. Progressive gave me about 85% of what the car was really worth.

I haven't had a claim with haggerty, so I can't tell you how their claims handling is, but the only thing it says it that the car can't be a daily driver. They make you send them a declaration page for your daily use vehicle as proof. Other then that the language in the policy is quite liberal.

Bill

Brian 95 RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with AAA, it's just under $1,000 per year for full coverage the entire year, $100 ded, $1 million liability, unlimited miles. I'm 32 and no tickets.
Again, the biggest factor is your geographic location. Here in rural mid-Michigan it's much cheaper than in a bigger city like Detroit.

I used to be with Progressive and will never do business with them again. I've made one claim in my entire life - two years ago when I hit a unseen submerged stump with my boat - and my car, boat, and house insurance doubled because of the claim I made (shouldn't have affected my rates at all according to other insurance companies). And making a claim with them was worse than being on the witness stand in court.

Good luck,
Brian