Viper is it Super, Exotic, Muscle or Dream Car?

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not really sure why I was thinking about this, this pass weekend, but what is the Viper really? (Guess it's just how people react around the car, is what made me think of it & the car shows I was watching.)

Is it in the Super Car Class?

or Is it in the Exotic Car Class?

or is it in the American Muscle Class?

or is it just a Dream Car?

Doesn't really matter to me, just wondering what you guys / gals thought.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hagerty Insurance calls it as an Exotic.
State Farm calls it a Super Car.
I've had many people tell me it's their Dream Car.

I call it a blast!

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I spent 15 years dreaming about owning one- it is definetely my dream car. :D:D

Since I would not trade my GTS for a Ferrari, a Porsche, a Mercedes, or any other "exotic" car, it must be an exotic. :2tu:

Since it has always stayed ahead of the other American muscle cars for power and styling, the Viper has to be a muscle car. :usa:

Since I have a 10 lb. Roe Supercharger on mine, I definitely consider the Viper a Super car:headbang::headbang:

So yes, all of the above. :drive:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This topic comes up every so often. I think these "categories" are fluid. When I was a kid, surely ANY $100,000 car was an exotic.

Today, simply because I own one, I'd be hesitant to call my Viper an exotic. Part of being an exotic car, as far as I'm concerned, would be that it's beyond my reach. Same with "dream" since I "dream" of cars I don't have.

"Super" is meaningless....unless when speaking of your building handyman's choice in cars.

Most do not consider a Viper a "muscle car" since they were not born until 1992.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most do not consider a Viper a "muscle car" since they were not born until 1992.[/QUOTE]

Because of the power and the reason it was built, I consider the Viper a muscle car.
It is not a "classic" muscle car like the Road Runner, but most definitely a muscle car.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I've read that per the original definition, a "Muscle Car" needed 4 seats...not just "muscle".
Maybe someone else can clarify.

gofastr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think any factory produced car that can do 200+ mph is a supercar. The Gen IV Viper certainly qualifies.:2tu:

Sleekride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recently I attended a local car show and filled out some entry form not thinking anything of it. Towards the end of the event, event organizers began calling and handing out trophies for several categories. My car turned out to be the winner of the Best Exotic category. My car wasn't even clean! Personally, I don't categorize my car but can understand why people would.

If I had to categorize I would say it's all the above.

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Personally, I don't categorize my car but can understand why people would.

I think that is part of why i asked. There were some people by on Sunday and they acted like it was a one of a kind car & wouldn't even get near it. I guess now that I have one I'm not as awe struck as I use to be.

VPR RACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Exotic

Ferrari
Lamborghini
Maserati
Lotus
Bentley
Aston Martin
Bugatti
Panoz
Ford GT
Carrera GT
Pantera
Saleen S7
Mercedes SLR
Wisseman
Koenigsegg
Apollo
Ascari

RARE
BMW 8 Series
Porsche GT3
Porsche GT2
Porsche Spyder
Vipers
Acura NSX
Eleanor
Ariel Atom
Noble
Rolls Royce
DeLorean
Bricklin
Cobra
Lister
Lancia
Jensen
Bristol
Morgan
Factory 5 GTM
GTR / SKYLINE

Vintage
Pre 1975 production years
Alfa Romeo
Austin Healey
BMW
Citroen
Corvette
Fiat
Jaguar
Land Rover
Mercedes
MG
Mini
Morris
Opel
Peugeot
Porsche
Renault
Saab
Sunbeam
Volvo
VW

MODERN

Production year starting after 1975.
Fiat
Mercedes
Jaguar
Land Rover
BMW
Porsche
MG
Mini
Volvo
Alfa Romeo
Audi
VW
Renault
Corvette
Shelby
Saab
American Cars
ISF - Lexus

Classification according to EUROSUNDAY.NET
coming to a town near you

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This topic comes up every so often. I think these "categories" are fluid. When I was a kid, surely ANY $100,000 car was an exotic.

Today, simply because I own one, I'd be hesitant to call my Viper an exotic. Part of being an exotic car, as far as I'm concerned, would be that it's beyond my reach. Same with "dream" since I "dream" of cars I don't have.

"Super" is meaningless....unless when speaking of your building handyman's choice in cars.

Most do not consider a Viper a "muscle car" since they were not born until 1992.

+1.

I kinda cringe when the term exotic is applied to the Viper. Currently exotics have all that nancy crap on them.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Classification by eurotrash? Price has nothing to do with it. Ferrari makes an affordable model too. Rarity performance and desirability marks an exotic. If the viper came out at 100k, there would still be buyers.
Exotic

Ferrari
Lamborghini
Maserati
Lotus
Bentley
Aston Martin
Bugatti
Panoz
Ford GT
Carrera GT
Pantera
Saleen S7
Mercedes SLR
Wisseman
Koenigsegg
Apollo
Ascari

RARE
BMW 8 Series
Porsche GT3
Porsche GT2
Porsche Spyder
Vipers
Acura NSX
Eleanor
Ariel Atom
Noble
Rolls Royce
DeLorean
Bricklin
Cobra
Lister
Lancia
Jensen
Bristol
Morgan
Factory 5 GTM
GTR / SKYLINE

Vintage
Pre 1975 production years
Alfa Romeo
Austin Healey
BMW
Citroen
Corvette
Fiat
Jaguar
Land Rover
Mercedes
MG
Mini
Morris
Opel
Peugeot
Porsche
Renault
Saab
Sunbeam
Volvo
VW

MODERN

Production year starting after 1975.
Fiat
Mercedes
Jaguar
Land Rover
BMW
Porsche
MG
Mini
Volvo
Alfa Romeo
Audi
VW
Renault
Corvette
Shelby
Saab
American Cars
ISF - Lexus

Classification according to EUROSUNDAY.NET
coming to a town near you

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not an old 68' V8 Camaro or 72' V8 Chevelle, so I don't really care to consider it a "Muscle Car". I don't know why the viper is the only MODERN car people call a muscle car? I think it MUST be because of the racing stripes that come on the car from the factory, representing the vintage muscle car look, therefore magazine editors splashed the name "American muscle car" all over the magazines in 1992 and it just stuck. But a Muscle car to me, is something from the past. I think today's technical term is "Sports Car" for all other higher powered car brands like Corvette and Porsche. Not sure where "muscle car" came from? If anything the V10 makes it more exotic than muscle....

According to the performance of the ACR at the Ring and it's competition of very high end supercars, of which it defeated, I think the performance of the ACR gives it the appropriate classification of supercar. I don't know if I would consider my GTS a supercar, although it does have some pretty incredible performance aspects about it. for the price of the ACR, you get "Elite" performance and the high cost, so I place the ACR in Supercar category (ok, the 09' SRT's are pretty friggin sick too as far as supercar performance).

If a Ferrari 308 would be considered an Exotic Car, then ANY of the Vipers should be right along those lines with ease, according to definition of the word "Exotic"... look up the word exotic if you don't know the definition. (If you don't consider a 308 an exotic car... please tell me, when (what year) did it lose it's "exoticness" and why?). Pull into any gas station to fill up or a car show and let the crowd determine if your car is exotic or not... That's what I thought, you all know the answer to that.

Dream Car? I thought that was just a saying people used, but not really the definition of a performance car? But I did have a dream about mine once.

In reality, you can't convince anyone what category the Viper falls under, especially on the internet. A kid once got into an argument with me online, claiming the Lamborghini Countach was NOT an exotic car. I showed him the definition for the word "Exotic" and he still wasn't convinced. I asked him, WHEN did it lose it's exoticness and what made it no longer exotic, because back in the days, it was the most exotic car on the planet. He answered by telling me it is an old outdated car and now days Corvettes can beat it up on the street.

So, with this in mind... it's obvious you can't convince anyone what category the Viper, or ANY car for that matter, falls under. People think what they want and with all the ricers out there on the streets, the Skyline GT-R and Bugatti Veyron are the only exotic cars in the world today.

Last edited: