Viper or Z06: Help me decide

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking for a Z06(03 yellow) or a Gen II GTS. I love the looks and the rare factor of the Viper but reading all the post on motor repairs, trans rebuilds, over heating, the list goes on it makes me worried about making this purchase. I know the bias of this sight will lean Viper but I would like to know pros and cons of both cars.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember you are writing on the Viper site~~LOL....your first post and you're asking about a choice between Z06 or Viper? We have an '05 Viper since 10/04...no problems, and it's a BRUTE..if you want comfort/nanny controls--go with Z06...if you want a TRUE DRIVERS' car, go with Viper!! Can't go wrong! ~juli
(We've had both, and now have an '08 paddle-shifting 436hp Vette..not a Z06 right now)

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh boy!!! this should go well!!!! Ive owned a Z06, as have many others on this board..

Z06 = been there, done that.. Time to move on..

nothing against vettes.. Ive owned many, and they are great cars.. But Viper and Vette are apples and oranges.. They really are.. I daily drove my Z06.. That is one aspect I do miss..

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but reading all the post on motor repairs, trans rebuilds, over heating, the list goes on it makes me worried about making this purchase.

HUH? Where are you reading all this? The only problems we ever have are all self created in making hundreds of additional HP.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What's a Z06? Oh yah, I ate a Blue (with cute little blue stripes on the hood)on on my way home from the car show.

Roe doesn't make a supercharger kit for them so if you want a fast one you'll have to buy one of the ZR1's and build from there, or get a Gen 2 Viper.

Ted

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HUH? Where are you reading all this? The only problems we ever have are all self created in making hundreds of additional HP.

thats what I was thinking?? YES, they get HOT in the summer.. Overheating? Never(not mine at least). Trans rebuilds?? Not usually. Not stock, anyway..

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only problem I've had with my 2 Vipers is a fuse and a broken speaker wire, and it took 60,000mi. (2 Vipers) to get those problems.

Ted

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I was making my decision it was between a 03 Z06 and a 96 GTS. The Z06 is a great car and I would have driven it more than I drive my Viper, to me a vette is another car. The Viper is special, people love them...and its fast!

Depending on the mileage on the Viper, depends on any possible problems. Mine had a oil leak but I knew that when I bought it!

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you have been either misinformed or misread the posts here about Vipers trans, overheating, etc. The only problems encountered with Vipers are self-inflicted due to desire to significantly increase HP. In stock or near stock configuration Vipers are very reliable and well built cars. The **** pit can get warm due to the side sill exhaust but that can be relatively easily remedied by going with hi-flo cats. The engine itself is not prone to overheating and the tranny in the Viper is bullet proof and was originally developed in part for the Corvette. I think you are confusing mods done to improve track times and increase HP with problems with the stock car.
PAvenom RT/10:drive:

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking for a Z06(03 yellow) or a Gen II GTS. I love the looks and the rare factor of the Viper but reading all the post on motor repairs, trans rebuilds, over heating, the list goes on it makes me worried about making this purchase. I know the bias of this sight will lean Viper but I would like to know pros and cons of both cars.

The only pro to the corvette is that you can park it in more places and not have to worry about getting unwanted attention. I could park my black C5 anywhere and nobody would give it a second look which can be good or bad. The vette had so much on it to go wrong it scared me. There is no way the vette is bulletproof like the viper. 1 of 2 things will happen. 1. You will buy the viper you want and be happy. 2. You will buy a vette, sell it in a year or so and buy a viper.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own both and can say they are both great cars and as far as issues go I would say they are both pretty mechanically sound cars. That said given the choice between the two I would take the viper all the way.

How do you plan on using the car? If it is for a daily drive the vette is better. If it is a weekend pleasure car the Viper wins hands down and will get you tons more attention.

V

venms96

Both nice cars.......but both different cars too. If you want a little more "wow" factor, then GEN II, without a doubt. If you want to cruise the coastlines, or make a run to the great smokey mountains on a regular basis, then the Z06 might be more your style. But for just romping around your hometown,wherever that is, and taking a trip now and then, why not buy the Gen II Viper ? The looks of the Gen II crush the looks of the '03 Vette body, and as stated, the Vette has a few more comfort items, and will probably ride a little softer. If all you need/want is a CD player, AC, power windows, HP and handling, then the Viper is the way to go. Along with - damn, look at that Car, it's a Viper, ya don't see many of them around.

The problems you are talking about with a Viper........I don't really get where you're coming from. When you "race" a Car, run it hard, mod em out - you will see more writing about problems, and that's with any Car - but it's not the norm with a Gen II. The Viper is not a complicated mess, and I would think the Z06 is more of a "busy" set up. Maybe you're looking for reasons to not buy a Viper, but the ones you stated are not legit at all, in my opinion. There are a lot of guys on here that are into mods, and that's cool - and I understand that, because after driving any Car for awhile, most of us get used to it and you want more HP, and it's never enough. Mods mean speed, and we're all addicted to that common denominator - the speed. That's been going on forever with Car guys, no different here.
But if all you read are posts about things going wrong, and there are a lot of them, because this is a go-to place for questions, people helping each other out, then you will form that opinion. If you buy a decent Car, you won't have any of the problems you are talking about.

Plus, if I might add - I had my Viper in for an oil change. The garage I go to, is a Vette joint basically. There was a "Vette" guy (and I like em too) there, he has like 3 of em, different years, including a 1995 ZR1 - so, I thought he might have a small opinion about the Gen II Viper, just because of the body styles, in other words, he didn't just like old Vettes. My Car was sitting in the garage bay, beside his very nice, black ZR1. I complimented his Car, as I owned a ZR1 before anyway, and like them. He doesn't say a word about my Gen II, GTS Viper - that made his C4 body style, look - well, like another Vette really. I say to him, after he remains silent - what do you think about the Viper. He shrugs his shoulders and says, I'm just a GM guy and doesn't even acknowledge the Viper at all. I was like - jeeeeeeeez, you grumpy old bastard, can't even say one positive comment. This is not a bust on Vette guys in general, but to be honest, I don't think he knew what to say when my B/W '96 garage queen was sitting there. He stumbled over his words when he said the little he did say. I don't get that, I'm just a GM guy, or I'm just a Mopar guy mentality - but whatever. At least be respectful to another Car guy, especially if he compliments your Car. So, after reading all this bs I delivered - you decide on what Car to buy.

The Gen II Viper - has proven it's reliability and is built pretty simple, and basically, is a street legal race Car and looks like one too. How many have you seen in the past year on the roads ?

Still deciding............ ??

[email protected]

Enthusiast
Reaction score
problems! A good friend of mine had a Z06 (coupe only) driving down the street and the top blew off. GONE! He took it back to chevy and they said this has been a very small defect. The freakin top is glued on. It was an older Z06. Then he had this klicky kanky sound when he made slow tight turns. Not 90mph turns just slow turns. They kept changing grease or oil and it would go away for 100 miles or so. After being in the shop for 3 months waiting for the factory to get it right he won under the lemon law. But what did he win. He got another new vette but with 6Kmiles on it got $33,000 for the piece of crape and paid 30K+ for the new one. I was blown away at the way he was treated. Now his new 06 has been good (so far). I have had a few vettes in my time. A 435hp 67 tri-power vette that was pretty, and got smoked at the drag strip by a 289 shelby cobra. I see old ladies driving vettes now. They are as commom place as a lexus. Maybe not the Z06 but they all look alike.
I would rather have an XLR, if you want more bells and whistle’s and at least you don't pass 10 of them going to the store!
sailnfl

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably 50% or more of the guys here who own Vipers have at one time or another owned a Vette.
It's like a natural transition.
But none every go back from Viper to a Vette. It's just never happens. Vipers are too much fun.
That's the kind of experience owning the Viper is. Some might go UP to a Ferrari or a Lambo but nobody goes back to a Vette.
What does that tell you?

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I made the last payment on my divorce I went searching for a Vette and came up empty (something about me offering too low a price). I then found a gorgeous '02 Viper ACR and bought it.....I have never once regretted that buying it was an amazingly perfect choice. I used to think I was a great driver....this car has humbled me and I realized that I have a learning curve ahead to be able to push this car to 80%+ of what it is capable of doing. I don't believe had I bought a Vette that I would have developed myself and would still be ignorant as electronic aids make you look better than you are.

There is no comparison when it comes to styling... the Viper draws huge crowds everywhere!

Go get ice cream with your honey in a Viper and it becomes a car show. Drive a Viper down the highway or just slowly through town.....you wouldn't believe who knows what a Viper is.

Want to meet people who love cars and want to talk? Buy the Viper, everyone loves to learn about a Viper!

Want to see someone have a smile so powerful you'd swear they just lost their virginity? Let them sit in your Viper while it's idling and take their picture.

You could buy a nice Z06 and drive it for a few years and enjoy it....however if you buy the Viper, you'll drive it and never, ever want to let it go. You may even get bitten and wonder....okay if 450hp puts this huge smile on my face....what would 600hp do? 800hp? 1000hp?

Regards,
Aaron

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you want to blend in and get noticed about as much as a Camry get a Z06. If you want everyone in the world to stare at you as drive down the road get a Viper.

Warning: If you have a nose-picking habit don't choose the second option. :D

V

venms96

Great Post Aaron - especially the part about being humbled when driving the Viper, I know what you mean there.

ViperJon - about moving UP to an F Car, I wanted a 355 GTS or GTB and still do - always will. But you talk about "problems" with a Car !! A Stock 355 is going to have, not maybe - but will have - valve guide problems, manifold problems, all kinds of electrical crap going wrong, an 8k dollar "service", and to top it off, the interior is made of this el cheapo plastic that gets "sticky" afterwhile. I mean, jeeeezuz - my Gen II Viper ain't got the greatest looking interior (like new still, and none of Ed's famous silicone shine either) but it doesn't get sticky. All that for what - sound and looks, status......not me man. (newer model 911 is a step up to me) all ya gotta do with them is change the oil, just like the Viper. F Cars are way cool, but over-rated too and not worth the "elite" status in my opinion.

You can't go wrong with these GEN II Vipers, you just can't. Now, where is the original Poster - JimChris....you probably didn't expect this much feedback in what, a few hours, where ya at ?? You got one Post, that's fine, gotta start somewhere - but we don't even know where you live ..........what are your thoughts now ?

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What did the corvetteforum guys say :D

LOL if it's anything like the local Waco guys it's..

"So how would you like to see the tail lights to my N/A Z06"
"Should have bought something wort your money, Like a supra"
"Vipers are POS!"

I just nod my head, agree, and enjoy driving my viper why they are in a car as common as a mustang it seems now days.

V

venms96

....and here is the first Reply to JimChris's Thread on the Corvette Forum - this guy is secure in his Car ownership and ya gotta appreciate his response. Okay to post on two forums, quite alright - just interesting to see what both sides say anyway. Just didn't want anyone here to think that you just posted your question here, and that the Corvette Forum post was not a joke.

Hokay. My bud has a 1997 GTS that he bought in 2001, so I'm pretty familiar with it. He has not had a single problem with the Viper other than scraping it occasionally because it is so low. He has road-tracked it and also 1/4ed it (12.08@118) with no issues. They are tough to get in/out of (like a C4) and are cramped and hot inside. The exhaust note is an acquired taste and "Viper tax" is worse than "Corvette tax"... The Viper always gets positive attention and is fun to cruise. It is also brutally fast, crude and noisy.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't owned a Z06 so I can't comment on them,but I can say my GenII Gts in basically stock form has been absolutely trouble free for 2 years.The car is as simple as the 60's muscle cars I have had in the past and requires nothing but gas and oil.Of course the Viper doesn't have much in the way of options but that means there is less to break or provide maintenace on.Choose what you like the best but for grins and trouble free miles the Viper is the winner hands down.One other point is try parking a Gen II in a group of ZO6's Ferrari's or Lambos, while all are great looking cars the biggest crowd always seems to end up on the GenII.

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How many other cars can you do a bolt-on turbo kit on a stock motor and make 1100rwhp(on race gas but only 900rwhp on pump gas)?

How many other cars turn you into a Rock star, just from driving it?

What other car has a 8.0L V-10, 6sp manual, 335/30/18's...STOCK?

How many cars can pull a full G on a skid pad STOCK?

What car will make you smile like your first lay, just from sitting in it?

What car can do all this for under $50,000.....ONLY THE VIPER.

If all you need is Speed, Power, Handling, Style, Exclusiveness and Beauty...get the Viper.

If all you need is to goto work and not be bothered…..get the Vette.

Besides...look at a vette...it's a d@mn chick car, nothing manly about a vette.

Last edited:

Rapid Transit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please disregard all the "hating" talk on both forums, you don't need a car to justify your manliness or lack thereof or whatever image you want to project to the public. Here's what I have to contribute to the OP's question. You need to specify your intended usage and your personality to help others better help you reach a decision.

Attention getter? Viper.
Daily driver? Z06
Track car? Either will do.

I have an 06 Z06 and it suits me perfectly. I drive it most days to work, occasional track car. I'm not one who likes to be the center of attention at every stop, and I'd like to be able to park the car at most places without people coming up constantly inspecting the car, touching it, scratching it,......With a Viper, you can't really leave it alone in public places. Vipers are phenomenal cars, and too bad they're being discontinued. I'd like to get one someday as a part time fun car.

mercury51

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 1999 c5 frc and a 2007 z51 c6 corvettes and a 1997 gts viper.the viper is much easer to work on and it has been dead reliable.

bill

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO a C5 Z06 is not even in the same class as any Viper. I have smoked so many of those by 15 car lengths or so in the last few months it seems as if they have a V6 in them.:D

The only Z06 I would even consider is the C6, at least that car is formidable right off the lot.

If your choice is the super exotic Gen 3 vs the "every 10th car is a Vette", there really is no choice:dunno:...its common sense, Viper all the way.