Viper or Z06: Help me decide

OP
OP
J

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What did the corvetteforum guys say :D
Corvette guys say the Z06 is a better daily driver and rides better but go on to say the Viper gets noticed more and is a great car and I can't go wrong with either choice.

OP
OP
J

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Post Aaron - especially the part about being humbled when driving the Viper, I know what you mean there.

ViperJon - about moving UP to an F Car, I wanted a 355 GTS or GTB and still do - always will. But you talk about "problems" with a Car !! A Stock 355 is going to have, not maybe - but will have - valve guide problems, manifold problems, all kinds of electrical crap going wrong, an 8k dollar "service", and to top it off, the interior is made of this el cheapo plastic that gets "sticky" afterwhile. I mean, jeeeezuz - my Gen II Viper ain't got the greatest looking interior (like new still, and none of Ed's famous silicone shine either) but it doesn't get sticky. All that for what - sound and looks, status......not me man. (newer model 911 is a step up to me) all ya gotta do with them is change the oil, just like the Viper. F Cars are way cool, but over-rated too and not worth the "elite" status in my opinion.

You can't go wrong with these GEN II Vipers, you just can't. Now, where is the original Poster - JimChris....you probably didn't expect this much feedback in what, a few hours, where ya at ?? You got one Post, that's fine, gotta start somewhere - but we don't even know where you live ..........what are your thoughts now ?
This is a lot more feedback the expected, In a couple of hours 31 on Viper site and only 6 on Z06 site. The feed back has eased my mind a bit on the reliability. I'm in Geneseo IL and I'm watching the Yellow GTS on e-bay that is in Texas, I wish it wasn't so far away.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a C6 Z06 and a 97 B/W GTS.I have had both since new and both are excellent and very fast.The Viper is high profile,however so is the C6 Z06,just quite not as much.I have had no problems with my Viper at all.I just put a new battery and some new PS2 on the Viper,that it.

Reaction score
Remember you are writing on the Viper site~~LOL....your first post and you're asking about a choice between Z06 or Viper? We have an '05 Viper since 10/04...no problems, and it's a BRUTE..if you want comfort/nanny controls--go with Z06...if you want a TRUE DRIVERS' car, go with Viper!! Can't go wrong! ~juli
(We've had both, and now have an '08 paddle-shifting 436hp Vette..not a Z06 right now)

I have the exact same thing as above, my wife drives the vette, do you wear a skirt?

V

venms96

The feed back has eased my mind a bit on the reliability. I'm in Geneseo IL and I'm watching the Yellow GTS on e-bay that is in Texas, I wish it wasn't so far away.

eased your mind a bit ? That's all ?? After reading the responses, I'd be sold on the reliability factor - coming from car owners themselves.

Can I ask how old you are, or maybe what generation you're from ? To put up the statement, "watching the yellow car on Ebay in Texas".....and "wish it wasn't so far away"......makes you sound a bit.....young - maybe not even serious about any of this.....just my opinion. First of all, when buying a Viper, you don't just sit and look at Ebay and become a "watcher", and you don't think Texas is that far from Illinois.

I understand asking to compare the two "choices", but you asked us to "help you decide". All you say is your watching one on Ebay in Texas.....I dunno man.......

Good Luck with whatever you do......you got the spot on feedback you needed to get rid of the worries you were talking about. The rest is upto you. Also, a nice GEN II should be between 40-55k, (that should take care of all of us there with that figure) but a decent C5 Z06, is usually way cheaper than that, something else that might make you decide - if you're serious.

I'm out.........

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Allow me to make this decision easy for you.
CHICS DIG VIPERS!

Enough said.:D

OP
OP
J

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
eased your mind a bit ? That's all ?? After reading the responses, I'd be sold on the reliability factor - coming from car owners themselves.

Can I ask how old you are, or maybe what generation you're from ? To put up the statement, "watching the yellow car on Ebay in Texas".....and "wish it wasn't so far away"......makes you sound a bit.....young - maybe not even serious about any of this.....just my opinion. First of all, when buying a Viper, you don't just sit and look at Ebay and become a "watcher", and you don't think Texas is that far from Illinois.

I understand asking to compare the two "choices", but you asked us to "help you decide". All you say is your watching one on Ebay in Texas.....I dunno man.......

Good Luck with whatever you do......you got the spot on feedback you needed to get rid of the worries you were talking about. The rest is upto you. Also, a nice GEN II should be between 40-55k, (that should take care of all of us there with that figure) but a decent C5 Z06, is usually way cheaper than that, something else that might make you decide - if you're serious.

I'm out.........
Ouch!!
I'm 50 and you don't need to flame me about watching one on e-bay. As far as Texas being to far away, car is on Mexico boarder. I think I can find one closer to the midwest so I drive to inspect and trailer home myself. As far as being serious I not going to buy the first car I see up for sale,when the right car comes around for the right price I have cash.

V

venms96

Ouch!!
I'm 50 and you don't need to flame me about watching one on e-bay. As far as Texas being to far away, car is on Mexico boarder. I think I can find one closer to the midwest so I drive to inspect and trailer home myself. As far as being serious I not going to buy the first car I see up for sale,when the right car comes around for the right price I have cash.
NOW, you're sounding serious - got it.

No flaming - just stating my opinion, it could have went either way with your words, easy to misunderstand on here - as usual.

GEN II Vipers all over the place for sale, nice prices too right now. If you are set on Yellow, then of course you know, you'll have to be patient for that color. And, no big deal, but Border doesn't have an "a" in it.

Just forget about those mechanical problems you addressed initially, you got steered in the wrong direction on those issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
V

Venomiss

Allow me to make this decision easy for you.
CHICS DIG VIPERS!

Enough said.:D
Well put in any language....vote # 2;)

One word to remember. Woodhouse.
Then two more. Bill Pemberton.
Third thing is the number. 1800-889-1893 or 1-402-426-4126

Do a search and find out all kinds of good things.:drive:

V

venms96

JimChris - here it is - the only yellow car for sale on Ebay, in Texas. Dodd City, TX. The seller sounds pretty up front. Those first 34,800 miles tho - scary. To me - a lot of miles for the year - way too many, but that's just me. I wish I was more like others, and didn't care. But hey, Texas cars, and southern cars always have more miles, the norm. BIN for 40k ? I dunno, for upper 30's or whatever the price would be, I'd check out some other yellow Vipers for sale and put your $$ towards something with more of a known history. But hope we helped you "decide".

I have owned this awesome 2001 Viper since 2003. I bought it with 34800 miles on it. Dodge replaced the motor at 35400 due to a crank shaft defect. I mean this motor was brand new, not a rebuilt, but a brand new V10 from Arrow out of MI. with all the A/C, P/S, ALT, and new clutch attached, all brand new. The car has 38600 miles on it now, 5 years later. All the work was done by Dodge at Bonham Chrysler in Bonham TX. They also put brand new racing drilled rotors on all 4 corners, Borla Ext. and a new 373 posi read end (I still have the original 307 rear and Ext. that goes with the car) The car is perfect, Factory $3500 black racing stripes, new tires, never, ever any paint scratches, or curb rubs on the wheels. I still have the original window sticker that shows a list price of $88k. Building a new home, my car collection has to go.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went through the exact thing you are with everybody saying, "why didn't you buy that one" yada yada, you aren't serious etc.... They are just trying to help. Take your time and you will find the right one.

You just missed a he!! of a deal in NJ as Taximan1 just let a yellow beauty go cheap. Also, do not rule out far away cars as there are plenty of members all over the country that would be willing to check cars out for you and then if you are serious you could either get a cheap flight or pay one of those agencies that also evaluate cars to look at it for you. While I do say take your time and find the right car you also have to realize that once the weather gets nicer people are going to be more firm on their prices.

If you are going to drive this car and put a lot of miles on it I suggest you get one with greater than 10,000 miles already on it as it will have already taken a hit in depreciation. If you want a super low mile car expect to pay a premium. You really can't go wrong either way as they hold their value much better than the vettes regardless of the mileage. If a warranty is important to you you may want to stick with forum dealers as they are able to put an Dodge warranty on most of the cars which was very important to me.

Let me know exactly what you are looking for and I will keep my eye open for you as I am always following the market. Color, stripes, mileage, GTS or RT10 and approximate price range. Good luck with your search.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think it's been stating time and time again:

Viper = raw, exclusive, weekend monster

Vette = refined, common, daily driver

I drive both.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love Vettes and I love pizza and I love Vipers.

But the Viper does not belong in that sentence above...:D

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper represents freedom of choice in driving without interference from a computer override. With freedom of this kind comes increased driver responsibility. You might say the Viper is an American frontier car. It knows no boundaries other than its driver's skill level. It's a wild stallion running over the plain. A Cheetah running down prey. It is the closest a streetable car will ever come to duplicating the feeling of freedom felt on a bike. If you want this level of responsibility while your driving, purchase the Viper. If you want to relax and enjoy your cup holder, buy the Vette.

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have both...07 Z06 and a 08 Viper coupe. Trust me they are two differiant cars, so you better drive both before choosing one over the other.

I'm near in northwest TX, your welcome to drive both.
I going to sale the Z but that dosn't mean the Viper is better.:drive:

1Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had more issues with my C5 Z06 than my Viper and they were both low mileage cars...

If it's a cash flow issue get the Vette but you will always wonder why you didn't buy the car of your dreams.

Last edited:

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Usually, if you are asking this question, then you should buy the Vette. Viper might not be right for you.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 02 ACR and an 08 Z06 in addition to other sports cars. Both cars are a lot of fun and I love them both. I think you should make their own decision and not worry about what other people like or dislike. Read up on and drive the cars. The looks of a car play an important roll for most people. It's a personal choice.

OP
OP
J

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both...07 Z06 and a 08 Viper coupe. Trust me they are two differiant cars, so you better drive both before choosing one over the other.

I'm near in northwest TX, your welcome to drive both.
I going to sale the Z but that dosn't mean the Viper is better.:drive:
Thanks for the test drive offer. Thursday I plan to go to Chicago to a dealer that has both so I can see them side by side.

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
jimchris,

what price range, color combos and other wants do you have for a Viper, if that's the way you choose to go? Most members here will point you in the right direction as to where to find what your looking for.
I'm the same age as you, and have also owned Corvettes. Both great cars, but the Viper does have that tendency to take your car ownership to a whole new level.

I know where a 2002 FE (red w/white stripes)with 8K miles may be for sale. HaHA!

Good Luck with your search.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personal & observed experience: the C5Z is a capable car, but not at all rugged when driven hard.

The Gen 2 Viper is a very rugged car.

Several of my track pals (HPDEs & some racing) have tracked their C5Zs over the past two years. Headers, intake/airbox mods seem OK. The guys who went internally at all, even just a cam, have had significant, and in some cases, catastrophic issues. Blown engines in three of the cars in the past year or so. Sure, the LS6 can handle more HP, but it needs expensive & thorough building from the bottom up.

My '00 ACR has had the s**t driven out of it on the track for almost 6 years. Replaced one wheel bearing in that time, in addition to the usual consumable items like pads, tires, lubes, safety gear, etc.

The Vipers are seriously robust cars. The 'Vettes are cheaply, but in some ways they do offer better bang for the buck. Until you start rebuilding engines.

If you aren't beating your car on the track, I suppose the C5Z will be OK. But you'll need to keep your gold chain & leisure suit kit up to date.

Performance Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a C3 Vette that I built to 450 Horse (about the most you will get from a 5.7 without forced induction or spray.)
Fast and tons of fun. No Traction Control, No ABS....kinda like a training bra for a Viper.
My next purchase is a Gen 2 GTS. No doubt. Even when I was driving the Vette I always turned around when I saw a Viper to get a good look....awesome design...;)