Viper or Z06: Help me decide

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personal & observed experience: the C5Z is a capable car, but not at all rugged when driven hard.

The Gen 2 Viper is a very rugged car.

Several of my track pals (HPDEs & some racing) have tracked their C5Zs over the past two years. Headers, intake/airbox mods seem OK. The guys who went internally at all, even just a cam, have had significant, and in some cases, catastrophic issues. Blown engines in three of the cars in the past year or so. Sure, the LS6 can handle more HP, but it needs expensive & thorough building from the bottom up.

My '00 ACR has had the s**t driven out of it on the track for almost 6 years. Replaced one wheel bearing in that time, in addition to the usual consumable items like pads, tires, lubes, safety gear, etc.

The Vipers are seriously robust cars. The 'Vettes are cheaply, but in some ways they do offer better bang for the buck. Until you start rebuilding engines.

If you aren't beating your car on the track, I suppose the C5Z will be OK. But you'll need to keep your gold chain & leisure suit kit up to date.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this issue George. I have many friends with worked LS# motors and they are all putting out high hp numbers and have not had any issues. I think a lot of this has to do with who tuned the car. Most of the people I know Go to ECS or Vette Doctors and their cars run great. They also track their cars and the only thing that really needs addressing is the brakes. The Viper definitely has an advantage here as I have heard you do not have to touch the Vipers brakes if you track it.

They are both very rugged cars.

That said the Viper still gets my vote.

OP
OP
J

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jimchris,

what price range, color combos and other wants do you have for a Viper, if that's the way you choose to go? Most members here will point you in the right direction as to where to find what your looking for.
I'm the same age as you, and have also owned Corvettes. Both great cars, but the Viper does have that tendency to take your car ownership to a whole new level.

I know where a 2002 FE (red w/white stripes)with 8K miles may be for sale. HaHA!

Good Luck with your search.
I want a Gen II w/strips, no mods, the only color I don't care for is the silver, yellow w/black is top choice. As far as price goes I would like to stay under 40K.(I know your FE does not fall into this range). I've owned 5 vettes, the newest being a 72 w/454. I sold all the toys including my 1000hp cigarette boat to build a new house. I just built a new garage for my next car.

Last edited:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,

If you haven't already done so, I'd strongly suggest you keep you eye on our classified section. Rather than Ebay, you will be far better off buying from a club member. You'll likely be able to speak with 10 of his/her VCA friends about the car and confirm everything you'd ever consider.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Repairs, repairs, repairs = Vette. That has been that way for a long time. I know this isn't the best place, but check Consumer reports and you will see black marks all over the place for Vettes. The Vette has never been a reliable car if you are worried about reliability. Too many gadgets to break. Good luck.

shmoos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found mine on autotrader. I have been looking to buy one for a long time, and wanting one since 1991. I found my Natalie, that is what i call her in NC at a dealership, I live in NJ. I drove down on a friday to trade in a 99 BMW M3, and drove back the next day. All i can say is what a great drives car. I am the third owner of the car and i got her with 5300 miles for less then 40K. Now i know i got lucky on this find, but not to say that if you do your homework, you to can find one that you like. The Viper Owners on this form know alot about Vipers. These people can direct you in the right path to finding the car of your dreams. Also i owned 3 vetts in my time. A 79, 94 and a 99. And in no way do i miss them at all. My 99 was in the shop every month with a dead battery and they couldnt figure out why the battery would die so fast. My 94 had water leak problems and was in the shop for that all the time. Not much to say about my 79. it was fun to drive as a first car. The Dodge Viper is the way to go if you want a real drivers car, not a Luxury sports car that has all the bells and Whistles of a family car.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want a Gen II w/strips, no mods, the only color I don't care for is the silver, yellow w/black is top choice. As far as price goes I would like to stay under 40K.(I know your FE does not fall into this range). I've owned 5 vettes, the newest being a 72 w/454. I sold all the toys including my 1000hp cigarette boat to build a new house. I just built a new garage for my next car.
The only tough part may be finding a "nice" one for under 40. It will definitely be a car with some miles on it. Not saying it can't be done just saying it may take you a little longer and I would make sure I had it checked out by a good Viper tech. Most Vipers in the 30 usually have salvage titles or are pretty well broken in. Good Luck with your search. Of course 40 would buy you a mint C5 Z06. :dunno:

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only tough part may be finding a "nice" one for under 40. It will definitely be a car with some miles on it. Not saying it can't be done just saying it may take you a little longer and I would make sure I had it checked out by a good Viper tech. Most Vipers in the 30 usually have salvage titles or are pretty well broken in. Good Luck with your search. Of course 40 would buy you a mint C5 Z06. :dunno:

They are out there. Although some people wouldnt call mine low milage. But I picked mine up right under 40k with 21k miles on it. Some tasteful mods already done.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to blend in with a crowd go Z06. If you want to stand out in a crowd go Viper. Very cool you that like Yellow! :D I'm adding black stripes to mine.

OP
OP
J

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to blend in with a crowd go Z06. If you want to stand out in a crowd go Viper. Very cool you that like Yellow! :D I'm adding black stripes to mine.
I have found a couple cars that I like but they didn't have stripes. How are you going to add them paint or decal and do you know about what the cost will be?

shmoos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check with a local body shop about having them painted on, unless you want option to remove them on a later date. One thing to make sure when talking to local paint shops. What kind of cars do they work on and how long they have been around and also what kind of paint will they use. BASF or DuPont or what ever other company they use. I like BASF.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found a couple cars that I like but they didn't have stripes. How are you going to add them paint or decal and do you know about what the cost will be?

I'm a DIY'r so I'm adding black Vinyl stripes using premium Avery vinyl. I purchased my vinyl from my local paint shop that does work on Vipers. You can find premium Oracal, Avery and 3M vinyl online but I ended up back to where I started which is my painter. I only needed about 35 feet whereas these online sites want to sell me 150 feet. I chose vinyl so that if some day I decide to remove them when i get tired of the stripes I can do so without repainting the car. There's a "How To" on this in the upgrades section but applying vinyl stripes is not for the faint of heart. Check with a paint shop that you trust and that has experience applying stripes painted and vinyl especially on Vipers. Cost for the vinyl was about $60. I think my painter wanted to charge me around $600 to add them.

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are not ready....go with the Corvette.....more room, and easier entry and exit. Plus you get cruise control and cup holders. Why not put stripes on a Vette?:D

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a C5Z06 and my '01GTS

One Saturday I ran down to Starbuck's to get a latte and no one even noticed me:(

THEN..for LUNCH, I take the GTS out.

OH MY GOD

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH yeh and it's OH so true, us chicks DO dig Vipers!!! I get a 'chick's b@ner' every time I see a guy driving one:)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sharp looking car Leslie.

96-99 GTS, find one with a 8# Roe blower on it - 600rwhp and most Viper owners will add lightweight/2 piece brake rotors as their mod after exhaust.

Ted

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper or Z06: Help me decide

If you have to ask, then buy a vett. We already have two or three Viper owners whining about no cruise control, no cup holders, no traction control, crappy stereo, AC doesn't blow in the right direction, too noisy, etc. etc. etc. I don't think we can deal with a forth.

But if minor imperfections and the lack of all that ***** stuff doesn't bother you, then welcome aboard. :2tu:

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you get the snake, be prepared for young kids to gravitate to it and pull their parents. I always let them check it out, sit inside and they just smile ear to ear. Many will have mom/dad take pictures of them w/ their camera phones - it is such a cool surprise for them (and you) when you get those chances... You can tell their parents really appreciate Viper owners who are down to earth and allow others to enjoy such a special vehicle. Good luck w/ your decision, it is just a car - get the Viper - you will NOT regret it. Having owned a c5z, c6z and GTS together, the c5z torque does not even compare.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Final is correct. While the C6z is formidable, the C5z cant hold a candle to Gen 3 Vipers. And most Gen 2 Vipers are modded.
And in the recognition cateragory, Vipers rule. In every race I have had against a Vette the gen population has always rooted for the Vipers.
Viper is the only exotic American sports car that is not a one-off brief run. Viper has connected w/ the American psyche...

get the Viper.

OP
OP
J

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what are the Vette guys saying to you?
About the same as I hear on this forum. Vette is better fit and finish, better ac, and interior. Viper gets all the attension, they go on to say I won't go wrong either way but if I have the cash they would buy the Viper. I'm looking at a GTS now and I'm trying to line up a trailer if things come togeither.

Hoop

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seriously? I debated an '06 Z06 or a Gen II viper knowing the Z06 would out perform the Viper but that the viper over time would remain a more legendary car... But an '03 C5 Z06 Vs. a viper is no contest.

I got rid of a V12 Benz to get the Viper. One of the reasons was simplicity of build and maintenance, the other was the rawness.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Bentley twin turbo v-12 w/ awd. Awesome car. Fast car. Gets a lot of attention:crazy2: Stylish car. And also a...

Boring car.

My wife and I love our Viper. My Bentley has out run some stock Vipers (red light to red light only!) and many many Vettes.

But...:cool:.. its not the Viper. My wife and I drive the Viper every Sunday morning out and about...together.

Its more exciting. Its more powerful. Its louder. The exhaust smells. The ride is crude. Its raw. Its more aggressive. But we love it, love it, love it! Its faster, meaner, and rarer than just about anything on the road. My wife and I are undefeated in every road race to date (closed roads only!:D). There is only one and only Viper.

I love Vettes. I love Honda's. I love scooters. Enuff said.

1Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About the same as I hear on this forum. Vette is better fit and finish, better ac, and interior. Viper gets all the attension, they go on to say I won't go wrong either way but if I have the cash they would buy the Viper. I'm looking at a GTS now and I'm trying to line up a trailer if things come togeither.

Jim,

This place is awesome and is where I bought my GTS. Their cars are "almost" show room condition. Talk to Merry Carmichael and I'm sure you can work the price down abit.

If you need to finance then they have great finance programs for these cars.

Check out the link and good luck.:2tu:

http://www.premiercars.com/Inventory/252/dodge-p3226

D

dano

I have to throw my two cents in here too. I drove an '02 Z06 for a couple of years and have nothing but good things to say about "her". Great performance, easy and cheap upgrades available and an oil change at the dealership isn't $150+.

However, you see vettes every other car it seems. I switched to a '97 GTS and have no regrets. More expensive to modify or repair? Yes! Daily driver? No! Just can't beat the Viper though. I do wish I had traction control.....next car - Ford GT.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,

This place is awesome and is where I bought my GTS. Their cars are "almost" show room condition. Talk to Merry Carmichael and I'm sure you can work the price down abit.

If you need to finance then they have great finance programs for these cars.

Check out the link and good luck.:2tu:

http://www.premiercars.com/Inventory/252/dodge-p3226

I talked to them yesterday, I think I spoke to Chris. I am driving to Arkansas next week and will be passing right through Springfield Mo. and am planing on stopping in.