Viper Seat Belt Warning...

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">I stand with Clark. Though I have fixed my Viper belt issue myself, I am still working on resolving my minivan issue plus 5 other D/C cars that are in my immediate family with the very same belts.

It's a shame that I have to spend hours of my time and hundreds of my dollars to resolve an issue that A) should never have happened and B) should have been resolved promptly once identified. Where's the logic in designing a latch that releases before it's fully depressed? Perhaps because during a focus group, a few soccer Moms complained that their nails were breaking every time they released the belts.....

In the meantime, since I believe that there is a safety issue, I will resolve it myself.

How many others will?</FONT f>

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
This sounds like a bunch of hooey.

1 - "Mr. Seatbelt"...give me break.

2 - The "problem" has been around for several years - but this is the first time anyone has noticed it.

3 - Didn't we learn a little bit about "journalistic investigations" with the GM truck side gas tank fiasco.

Remember, the media loves to pick on the auto companies.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">While everyone is entitled to an opinion and I certainly respect yours, I have trouble understanding how you could possibly compare the two issues.

In one case, an incendiary device was used to ignite leaking fuel in a blatant attempt to case alarm and attract viewers.

In the other, you have a seat belt latch that releases before being fully depressed. I think you'd agree that in a serious collision limbs can flail about and COULD perhaps depress the latch to the point it would release prior to the vehicle coming to a stop. No trick devices are required to simulate this event, just go to your garage and see where the latch releases.

Odds of it occurring? Who knows, very small I'm sure. Odds of it occurring in the previous design? Zero. Big issue? Only if it happens to you. </FONT f>

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been testing the seat belts in the cars I have and found that the Viper belt is fairly easy to release with my elbow. I also noticed that on our 2000 Volvo I can also release the belt with my elbow..... Maybe I just have pointy elbows
smile.gif

dadsvpr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cstegall:

...this thread is NOT funny...NOT political...and NOT an engine or body problem/repair issue...this is obviously an issue that could be resolved very quickly if DC would respond with a "fix" for those cars that may be affected. It is unfortunate, but many Americans use apathy as a second language...I just happen to be one that does not and I will not rest until DC responds to this issue.

No Flame Intended...Just Observation,

CStegall

... I am very interested in your opinion on this issue...and please don't use my name and "anal retentive" in the same sentence
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i just expressed an opinion. i do my part trying to be a useful contributor. nothing more nothing less. i don't recall anyone mentioning funny, political or anal retentive for that matter. wow, folks, stop taking yourself so seriously......

i appreciate the seriousness of the issue to you, certainly in light of family vehicles. the viper is a bit different to me, its really easy to get stupid in the car. if this is something you feel you might do then it should be fixed, now. On a track proper restraints are required, the street restraints are not acceptable.

btw not an attempt to censor. it just seems like this is really not the appropriate forum.

jason

OP
OP
C

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,

I appreciate your post and thank you for the bump...however.."getting stupid" in a car is definitely not the concern here. Having your car involved in an accident can often involve another car "getting stupid" and you just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. We are not talking about "tracking" cars...we are talking about the most dangerous form of driving...the driving we do "everyday" to work,school,etc. This is where the belts need to perform..period.
I think(at least hope) that most that use this board use it for informational purposes as well as entertainment.

Question for you Jason...would you bungee jump with a bungee cord that someone told you "may have" a faulty clasp?

Not taking myself too seriously...just taking the topic seriously,

No Flame Intended...Just Observation

P.S. Thanks Ray W/DevilDog/Jim/Ron,etc. for your efforts.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
THURSDAY SAFETY BUMP! I sure don't want me and my passenger and another VCA member and his/her passenger getting ejected like this ( notice how those elbows frail around and can hit and release your safety belt latch )!
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clark,

Thanks for posting this and keeping it alive. It is an important issue and DC needs to take notice and remedy this design flaw.

Courtesy Bump

OP
OP
C

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those interested in safety:
Moving onto over 2000 views...DC's gotta be seeing this...

For those that aren't:
Just hope you can fly...

CStegall

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cstegall:

For those that aren't:
Just hope you can fly...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clark:

Is an ejection seat a new option on the RT's.

Where do we need to elevate this to in DC, to get some answers? Are the Germans that deaf and dumb that they can't see that this issue can have serious repercussions beyond this exposure? If they had any sense they would go ahead and fix this on the DC marque performance car, before they become a laughing stock in the industry.

Thanks for keeping the pressure on Clark. I am sure that when this is done and behind us, there will be many here who will be thanking you for your efforts. Hindsight is 20/20, right?

Brad

OP
OP
C

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad,

Unfortunately...if you have one of the GenIII beltsystems you MAY just also have the very,very rare ejection seat option!There are resources being used, that do not appear on this board, but hopefully will assist us in getting the "attention" of DC.

Thanks to you and all the others that have taken the time to be concerned and post that concern...I salute you...because of your efforts someones life WILL BE saved.

CStegall

Rich01RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT size="5">~~FRIDAY~~</FONT s>

Just noticed this thread (don't come around here that often) and also noticed I have one of the affected belts. I just checked and that <FONT COLOR="red">"PRESS"</FONT c> button sticks out like a sore thumb. My elbow released it 10 out of 10 attempts.

Excellent safety thread! Thank you for pursuing this.

OP
OP
C

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich...

It is posts like yours that make this "trek" worthwhile. We will continue this effort on ALL fronts and will make sure that DC notices and does something to correct the problem. Contact me via email if you would like some more information.

Thanks again for your concern and taking the time to test your belts...

CStegall

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my second BUMP...

Hey, Clark, don't feel discouraged about this thread; over 2000 views, at least somepeople are reading
smile.gif
I applaud you and DEVILDOG's persistance..

Regards,
Clint

OP
OP
C

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clint,

Thanks for the positive outlook and I am not a bit discouraged in any form. You are right...this thread is as much about "number of views" as it is about posts and it is great when I see that people are concerned enough to test/measure the release buttons on their beltsystem. There are efforts going on "behind the scenes" that should assist us in this situation.
And yes...DEVILDOG is unbelievable in his commitment.

CStegall

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can open my seat belt with my ellbow too ...
HELLO DAIMLER-CHRYSLER: Hopefully, it will NEVER happen during an accident!

OP
OP
C

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Markus...

You have now taken this issue internationally!!! Thanks!!
We will continue our efforts with DC so that should someone have an accident in their Viper the unlatching of the seatbelt will NOT be an issue.

Thanks again for your concern and post.

CStegall

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Rich, Clint, Steve340, Markus,
Thanks for taking the time to check your belts and also for having the concern for the rest of the VCA members and other Viper owners to post your observations. Clark is the original champion of this issue and is pursuing additional efforts besides these postings to get an appropriate resolution from DC. We should all be grateful for his outstanding commitment. I merely function as his assistant to keep this subject bumped to page 1 for all to see when he is absent from the board.
Just as a side note, my solution for now ( when I don't wear my 5-points ) is to wear an elbow pad made of foam rubber on my left arm. Hey, JonB you might want to consider selling these in Viper colors with logos!
MONDAY SAFETY BUMP!
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully this thread wont <FONT size="5">S</FONT s><FONT size="4">i</FONT s><FONT size="3">n</FONT s><FONT size="2">k</FONT s> to the bottom...

BUMP^^^

Hope everyone is having a good week.

Regards,
Clint

andymo1972

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for keeping this post up near the top. I've been so busy working out the details on getting my 97 GTS that I haven't been here reading much. AS SOON as the car arrives, I will test my belts...fortunately it already has 5pts but that is not the solution. This needs to get resolved by DC and the only hope we have of that happening is to continue the exposure of the issue. If we go quiet, the issue will be forgotten by DC(maybe not on purpose, but it will happen). I have learned that I don't have time to fight every fight, I must choose my battles...and this one will get my time. Besides, I have to have something to do in order to pass the time until my car is delivered...hahahaha.

Andy
97 Red GTS on its way

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC,
INFO on this NOW please!!!
I wear my aftermarket 5 pts in the viper so I am more concerned
about my family in a 98 Dodge Sport minivan.

So a response, good, bad or otherwise would be appreciated at this point.

How many days, (posts) do you need to get before we get some
indication that your at least hearing us, SCREAM!! INFO ON THIS PLEASE!! What are going to do to remedy the problem?

James R Purcell Jr.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang