Why do you like stripes vs no stripes on your Viper?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I don't have stripes on mine, but can't get myself to do it either. The only stripes I've seen that looks good to me are the blue gts's.

I guess, I've seen too many on import cars and everything else. Plus I like the clean look too. I think Stripes makes the car look too bubbly...but, I'm also getting the parts rack wing too and some may like it and some may not.

Just curious to see what other people opinions are. Is it just the era I grew up in? (30yrs old)

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel the same way about the stripes, not for me. I think it is the era we grew up in-I'm 29. Seems like the older guys like the stripes.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always thought the GTS looks better with stripes -- with the possible exception of solid black.

But then all this is purely personal preference.

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Even though I striped it because I wanted them, just about everyone says the car looks MUCH better with the stripes than without.
BURNOUT.gif

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stripes on the GTS. None on the RT/10. But my 2003 will have the new shape stripes - wide to narrow.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I did the stripes I wasn't quite sure at first, but they
grew on me and love them now. Over here we have a fast lane for over taking and most move out of the way when they see the stripes getting bigger in their rear view mirror, must think I'm the old bill

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stripes is the way to go! You will be suprised...first after adding the stripes did it feel like a Viper, just not another supercar....

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Silver stripes on black , its a Viper thing , how else could I call it the SKUNK

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My $.02,
I planned on buying a red or black GTS back in 2000.
Went to the local dealer for a test drive. In the service shop was a blue w/ white striped GTS. Dealer took it out of theshop
and let me test drive it! (wonder whose car it was??? topic for another thread I quess?!) Anyway, after drivng and getting up close and personal with the stripes I was hooked!!! Just looks like its fast just sitting there, and the attention It gets keeps me smiling! The good news...what ever you choose...you can't lose...your driving a VIPER!!!!!

Fast Eddie

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viporxxx, the dealer let you drive a customers car that was in for service????!!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe what goes on at these dealerships. They should lose their 5 star rating if they had one. If it was my car I would go in and shoot the place up.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Wow! it seems over whelming stripes are what most viper owners want. Everytime I see a Viper with stripes, it looks like something ran over like a truck and left it's treads behind.

I did see a blak GTS and I would have to admit, I would have not noticed it coming if it wasn't for the stripes..(but I also think dark colors from a distance don't stick out either.)

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stripes are something you add to a normal car to make it more than what it is. Stripes on a viper are ok but they do not add to the car, and actualy take away from some of the body lines. The only vipers that look good with stripes are the blue/white, and silver with blue. But what do I know, after all to each his own.

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
STRIPES !!!!!!!
I think my car looks much better with the stripes.
I've had my '69 Z/28 for 28 years. Red car w/black
stripes. Maybe I'm just used to it, but the Viper
just seemed to scream for the stripes. And they sure
look better parked next to each other now.
It also seems to get more comments with the stripes
than with out.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
01 blue gts.NO stripes.Clean looking.More of a euro look as opposed to the kid in a camaro look. Bruce
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bruce, I don't think we love the stripes because of the "Camaro" look as you put it. They didn't originate the stripes. They copied them. I have had both and it depends on the color. My '99 black looked best, in my opinion, with no stripes.
All-black cars look very menacing, very Batmobilish. The blue looks best with, in my opinion. It is hard to tell the color of the blue without the stripes helping to enhance the color.(everyone thinks it is black!) My AC Cobra Replica is Red with Black stripes, not unlike TonyViperMad! I doubt anyone feels the original Cobra was making like a Camaro when it was whipping A** on the track in the 60's on those europeans you wish to emulate with your stripeless paintjob!
smile.gif
Since the Viper was created to be a modern Cobra, I think the stripes are completely appropriate and at home on it, IMHO.

My .02

VEETENN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started with a red GTS without stripes, added stripes and like it much much better with the stripes! To me the stripes accent the the beautiful lines of the car and add much needed contrast on bright cars. I think the dark cars look good with or without stripes.

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the animal kingdom it's the added colors or stripes that signify the male of the species...
laugh.gif
Stripes of course!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No stripes for me! (I'm 29.) Stripes are fine, for others. Maybe my 3rd viper will have them, but I'm still on my first... The best stripes I think are Wayne's Bad Viper (Black with Red Stripes) and the Pewter/Gray with Silver Stripes - the Blue with White Stripes is classic and nice, but I prefer the other two.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me there's no question whatsoever - stripes are the way to go on a Viper, any Viper. I purchased my car w/o stripes, pondered the issue for several months, decided on black stripes (my car is silver) and haven't regretted it a bit. Everyone says the car looks so much better with stripes that w/o - night and day. Go for it, you'll be more than pleased.

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To MotorCity MadMan
At the time the dealer let me test drive someone else GTS "in for service" I didn't think much of it at the time. Actually, I was thrilled to do it! I took it out for 4 separate runs. Had my wife and 3 boys with me. Its only now, after owning my own Viper and reading some of the horror stories on this site do I realize what this dealership did. Not the stuff 5 star dealerships are supposed to be made of.

Fast Eddie

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had 'em both ways - '93 black was stunning without. '96 GTS - can't live without them - they make the car. I think the newer cars' stripes are too narrow. Especially so on the yellow ones.

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Solid Black (i.e. No Stripes). You can't go wrong either way! Some prefer the "clean or uncluttered" look and others prefer the "race" look.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viporxxx, aka Fast Eddie, don't think my comment was a slam against you. If someone let me drive someone else's car I'd probably do it too. The dealer should be castrated however.

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also 29(for 7 more days). I have a 2001 Saphire GTS
with no stripes. For what it's worth, a lot of people tell me they are so happy I did not get the stripes. In their opinion, they look cheesy. I think it depends on the color and I suspect age has something to do with it.