'01 GTS - when gas runs out

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A rather simple question and I don't want to find out in person.:D When the '01 is about to run out of gas, is there any kind of warning like a light or sound? I'm not sure how accurate my gauge is and would feel much better if there was a signal that I just haven't had yet.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it will stall for a second when going around a turn,fall on its face

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to know. I just kinda guessed it with my '01. I always fill it up when they gauge reads about a 1/4 tank left. One time I was reading empty but when I went to fill up I had about 5 gallons left.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gauge for fuel is not very accurate....ZERO meant for me and my 1999/2002/2002 ... +100 miles of non-spirited driving left...check it out! :D :drive:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '01GTS...ran outta gas once on the track.

Last run of the weekend, I had 1/4 tank left for the 20 min session and I kinda knew it wasn't going to be enough ....it did start powering down so I pulled it in the pits and it died there hahaa!

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gauges always seem to be wrong. With my 94 if it reads empty I have at least 3 gallons in the tank. I nearly ran out of gas once. I was coming back home from a drive to clean it out and just as I came over the top of the last hill it started jerking real bad. I put it in neutral and coasted to the gas station about 100 yards away.:2tu: got luck that time. Never tested the gauge since.:D

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. There's an idiot light. Mine used to light when there as about 2 gallons remaining.

I don't believe there is an idiot lite on the 01's. I have had it pretty low and never seen it.

I have an '01GTS...ran outta gas once on the track.

Last run of the weekend, I had 1/4 tank left for the 20 min session and I kinda knew it wasn't going to be enough ....it did start powering down so I pulled it in the pits and it died there hahaa!

The gauges always seem to be wrong. With my 94 if it reads empty I have at least 3 gallons in the tank. I nearly ran out of gas once. I was coming back home from a drive to clean it out and just as I came over the top of the last hill it started jerking real bad. I put it in neutral and coasted to the gas station about 100 yards away.:2tu: got luck that time. Never tested the gauge since.:D

so, is city the only one with an idiot light :dunno:

:eater:

EclipseAgent

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A rather simple question and I don't want to find out in person.:D When the '01 is about to run out of gas, is there any kind of warning like a light or sound? I'm not sure how accurate my gauge is and would feel much better if there was a signal that I just haven't had yet.

I don't actually own a viper (in the market for a G2).. But coming from a background with Motorcycles I tend to watch mileage I've driven since last fill-up instead of counting down. I do this with my cars also, instead of relying on the gas guage.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stirring the *** ehh?

It's been a while, but I do recall seeing a dash light.
Not worth making an issue of it, nor am I absolutely certain of anything I've experienced between my late high school days of "experimentally enhanced perspicacity" and more than a week ago.

It's mostly a blur.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....nor am I absolutely certain of anything I've experienced between my late high school days of "experimentally enhanced perspicacity" and more than a week ago.

It's mostly a blur.

you and me, bro, you and me

:lmao:

who needs a light:dunno:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuEdU_lrtZk[/media]

OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, B, should have asked you in the first place, just didn't occur to me!:rolaugh:

Thanks for the input, Guys. You know, watching the miles is kind of useless when the mileage swings between 10 and 20. I was more concerned for this weekend's Viper Days than normal driving. I SURE don't want to run out while on the course.:omg:

OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's also a full blown station as you come onto the property (1/4 mile from the pits). I just wanted to know if I need to fill up when it gets down to 1/4 or whether I would have some warning.

You're coming down for this one, right Leslie? COME ON, I need a fellow Sapphire owner to teach me the paces!:drive:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's also a full blown station as you come onto the property (1/4 mile from the pits). I just wanted to know if I need to fill up when it gets down to 1/4 or whether I would have some warning.

You're coming down for this one, right Leslie? COME ON, I need a fellow Sapphire owner to teach me the paces!:drive:

I wish:( Do us sapphire Vipers right now, I know you will.:headbang:

I would keep it PAST 1/4 as much as you can, even if it means you go buy a plastic 5 gal gas can from wally world. I have been on courses where there's lots of camber/elevation changes and I can see the fuel gauge drop as the gas gets moved around.

I start the day with a full tank, use a little more than 1/4 tank each 20 min. session, so I either bring gas with me or go fill up again at lunch.

Last edited:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fill it up at the end of every drive on the road no matter what. I like to jump in and take off on a full tank no worries. On a road trip 1/4 is the sign to get gas. Your fuel pump will thank you. GTS Bruce