03 Problems with Lights

JohninFL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having read the various links and threads posted on this site regarding the 03 light issues I took my 1000 mile 03 to Arrigo Dodge in West Palm Beach Fl last week and after waiting a week for its return Guess WHAT what same flickering headlights. Not wanting to wait another week I respectfully request information on a Dodge Dealer in Palm Beach or Broward County the knows their a__ from their elbow regarding Vipers and how to implement the factory fix.
Second question: Has anyone else had their tail lights go out permanently i.e. turn signal, and all the bulbs in red. (the fuse is fine).

Any insight into warranty providing for car rental during warranty work on Dodge (in second time for same problem etc) any negotiating tactics that work?

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the old posts (as I remember) stated that the problem is easily fixed by a software upgrade (i.e. reflashing) to the on-board computer.
Maybe you have some kind of short, loose connection, or something. You might want to do a visual of any electrical wires (the ones that you can see) to make sure they aren't rubbing against something.

Good luck (and welcome to Viperdom, where 85k cars are built with all of the quality you would expect from dodge!).

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is indeed a simple reflash (ten minutes) of the SRT computer for the headlights. There is another one (probably not done on yours either) which changes the air/fuel mix at the top end as I recall. Might even pick up a few ponies in the process.

As for the taillights, it sounds like a wiring issue as a wild guess. Not sure how they hook into the fuse block, but assume it is a centralized problem given that they all go out at once and the fuse is unaffected.

As to the reliability, I wouldn't sweat it. There are going to be problems with just about any car - Consumer Reports showed an average of 16 problems per 100 cars across ALL 2004 makes and models, including Asian brands. The Viper is generally very dependable and well-built, especially considering the "heavy-duty" nature of the beast. I had more problems with my Lexus and others than I have had with three different Vipers over some 35,000 miles.

Fix 'em and forget it - enjoy the ride!