04 SRT Help!!

ASASN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello!!

I just recently purchased a 04 Blk SRT, 965 miles now, K&N Fiter Kit, rear cats have been removed..that's about it!

My queston is.....I have a "squeal" under deceleration, at least more evident, after the car has come up to operating temps!! I can accelerate and not hear it, come to a complete stop and idle, hear very little of it in the front of the car, but, if I lay on the ground and listen, I can hear it clearly......drivers side is where I was laying!!

So, I thought it was the idler pulley, changed it, not the problem.....am I looking at the cam/balancer bolt issue?? I did a search, and most had that problem under cold conditions which has me thrown!!

Other than this issue, I gotta tell ya.....I love it! It's a hell of a car, I just wanta get this solved so i can go drive it some more!!

Thanks for the help!!!

Mike P.

OP
OP
A

ASASN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Kelly!!

I thought about that, but would the filter kit make that kind of noise from underneath the car at idle...hood open??

What could i do to determine if it's the kit or not......is this a common problem? This kit was on the car already when i bought it!!

Thanks!

kmg99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check out the K&N filter thread from this summer. One of the other members diagnosed a similar squeal problem from the K&N fitting holes being undersized. Easy fix, just a couple of drill operations for the blow molded part of the K&N assembly.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have you actually put a wrench on the bolt for the balancer and torqued it?
If memory serves me, you need a 13/16 socket and torque it to 130 ft. lbs.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have experienced it as well. Without question it is the K&N tube due to undersized PCV and idle air ports. Check the other threads for the size to open them up. Once I did both ports the noise went away completely.

OP
OP
A

ASASN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys........

Did a search, found out what to do to the kit, did it.......runs like a champ!! No more "squeal", completely gone!!

Thanks for the help, off to have some more fun.....NOW, I really do love this car..unreal!!!

Mike P.