08 Hood Install

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't get over the size of those vents. They are huge!

Looks like they did a great job Hiss. It will be interesting to see the hood on the car and if there is any change in performance.

I like the idea of losing the heat, but am just not a big fan of the cartoonish dimensions of the 08' hood or the new ACR package (wing splitter, etc.) for that matter. Just not my preference though as I like things to flow, not be chopped up. Maybe that will change when I see the 08' hood in person? Dunno!

Did you paint the valve covers? An underhood shot would be much appreciated.

Enjoy it! My Snake is now in hiberation here in Colorado. :(

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hiss, that striped hood looks fantastic!!!!! Is the cowl area of the hood taller at the rear than the stock '06 hood? Can't wait to see the finished product...

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coloviper--Everything blends in and has a better flow when you see it in person. I hope they get to the Valve covers, they are trying to get everything done before Thanksgiving.

JohnK--It seems a little taller in the back -I should be able to pick up the Viper tomorrow evening and I will let you know and post more pics.

I also want to see how the the vent grills looks The painter wants to show me the grills in polished-black-Viper blue.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant wait to see the final outcome of this new hood install. Looks really good so far. I also like the touches they did on the hood pad, especially for free hand, nice attention to detail. Looking forward to the pics, I bet you cant wait for your finished Viper. Coloviper, you have PM.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hiss, it will be interesting to get your read on the various grills. I would be temped to run grill-less, but suspect that without grills your eye would pick up all the detail under the hood and perhaps distract from the overall look. I'm sure that whatever route you choose it wil be sweet!!!

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should be able to pick it up this afternoon. Guess what-lot of rain headed this way and the body shop is closed the rest of the week. But Ill be dog gone if I bring it home in a thunder shower. I put about 900 miles a month on the Viper but very little rain has got on the car.

One concern I do have-the SC air filter is flat and their is a big air intake opening in that hood-check out the pic with the hood installed and taped for stripes-seems to me the filter has to get wet if I get caught in the rain. Kala said that it did not bother the filters on her Viper with the 08 hood but she has the round stock filters. Oh well-I will address that area in the coming weeks. If a person has a SC with the 08 hood and drives a lot in the rain - they may have to devise some kind of baffle. Now I did take the baffle out of the 06 hood with SC installed and did not have a problem ,but the intake vent was smaller.

Better take a towel if it is raining and stick it in the air intake-that would be a great pic.:)

I am very excited about the hood I think it is going to look good and the Viper will have better air flow etc. When one makes changes their is usually a problem area to address. I think the positives will definitely out weigh any problem in this install.

Keep you all posted.

John K-I am tempted to run with out the grills but man those are big openings and, at the right angle, you do see a lot of the engine bay. Hey JonkK without the grills I can check the oil level without opening the hood.:)

Last edited:

viperjer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should be able to pick it up this afternoon. Guess what-lot of rain headed this way and the body shop is closed the rest of the week. But Ill be dog gone if I bring it home in a thunder shower. I put about 900 miles a month on the Viper but very little rain has got on the car.

One concern I do have-the SC air filter is flat and their is a big air intake opening in that hood-check out the pic with the hood installed and taped for stripes-seems to me the filter has to get wet if I get caught in the rain. Kala said that it did not bother the filters on her Viper with the 08 hood but she has the round stock filters. Oh well-I will address that area in the coming weeks. If a person has a SC with the 08 hood and drives a lot in the rain - they may have to devise some kind of baffle. Now I did take the baffle out of the 06 hood with SC installed and did not have a problem ,but the intake vent was smaller.

Better take a towel if it is raining and stick it in the air intake-that would be a great pic.:)

I am very excited about the hood I think it is going to look good and the Viper will have better air flow etc. When one makes changes their is usually a problem area to address. I think the positives will definitely out weigh any problem in this install.

Keep you all posted.

John K-I am tempted to run with out the grills but man those are big openings and, at the right angle, you do see a lot of the engine bay. Hey JonkK without the grills I can check the oil level without opening the hood.:)
Eddie is starting on my Hood and Bumper next Week. If you lived in AZ you would not have to worry about the rain. It's still 82-92 here every day.
You are a lot better off there though. We have way too many problems in this state now.
Post a picture when you get it home.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should be able to pick it up this afternoon. Guess what-lot of rain headed this way and the body shop is closed the rest of the week. But Ill be dog gone if I bring it home in a thunder shower.

Well... What Happened?????? IMWTK :D

I have been running my car without grills... I wasn't sure if I would put in grills or dress up the engine bay. I now have that answer :lmao:

I will go with grills, as soon as they are available. Last week, I drove the Viper to my sisters house. Left the Viper in the driveway... next morning I find tiny footprints all around the vent openings. It seems the local chipmunks were romping thru their new playground :omg:
They didn't do any damage, but I'd rather not go there again :nono:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely shoot a picture of the hood when it is finished Hiss!

Say can someone photoshop the three stripes Shelby Super Snake stripes on the car and hood. If you did not have stripes that might be the way to go on a car with this new hood. That way you could still run a fat stripe and two little stripes on each side. It would be interesting to see how that would look and if the proportions would fit the hood better.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the body shop was closing Thursday for a few days I brought the Viper home for the weekend to take a few pics. Monday the shop will do a little sanding make some adjustments, and spray one more coat of clear and install the grills.

As expected the car runs cooler and the air flow is better and it sounds louder. The engine light came on and the code says bad plug or wire on cy 1. Called AB or Adam and in two weeks he is going to install new plugs and his performace plug wires and check every thing over for me.

Mid week I will post a few pics and share more info on how the Viper performs.

100_1016_edited-1.jpg

100_0979_edited-1.jpg

100_0983_edited-1.jpg
100_1010_edited-2.jpg

Last edited:

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That Look fantastic!!! I love the valve covers too!! Next time I head south I am going to call you so I can see that beast in person!! Great Choices!:2tu:

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Shandon - Be happy to have you visit.

I like the valve covers. They are painted with automotive paint so it will be interesting to see how they hold up.

I can't get over how much louder the exhaust sounds.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man that puts new meaning to pure sex on wheels. That is truly a piece of art. I too love the valve covers, So they are just painted? Are they not chromed?

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where's my basketball, where's my basketball? It must have fallin down one of the vents on Hiss's car!!!! LOL.

Looks GREAT, congrats!

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your car has now officially reached SICK status! That thing looks as mean as it must run.

Congrats, Hiss, what a great result.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for comments

The covers are painted but they had to paint around the chrome overlays. If I had the covers powder coated I would have lost the overlays in the process.

JohnK-I mentioned in previous post about checking the oil level without opening the hood. Not kidding-you can actually do that without the grills.

The engine loves the hood. It just breathes better. To put it in a crude way-It was like the Viper was constipated and it got rid of or dumped its load.;) One of the reasons I say that, with those big vents dissipating the heat, if you drive around town with windows down you get some very strange smells.

Hey-I better stop-I am getting into trouble and its Sunday and that means church time. Oh well-Ill get forgiveness and go on-man Ive had a lot of repenting to do since Ive had the Viper.:devgrin:

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff-You know what my Viper needs now-its a kit some one makes called the "Street Serpent".:)

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Adam

Adam lives close so he has done work for me before. In two weeks he will be doing more work for me on the exhaust, plugs, his quality wires and some other things.

We need a set of 02 simms for the exhaust work-pm me if you have a set for sale.

Adam does great work on Vipers-he is a perfectionist and his work is awesome. The work he has done on his Lambo and Ferrari is out of this world. Ill get a ride in that Ferrari in a couple of weeks.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks ILLSMOQ-I have always admired your Viper-silver is a beautiful color. Seems to be a very strong running Viper.

Took the Viper back to the body shop for one more sanding and a another coat of clear. Should have it back in a few days. Got to hand it to the body shop they want everything done right and to my satisfaction.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the Viper back yesterday and the painter did first class work. Matching is great and no painting of fenders or bumper.

The vent mesh is up in the air. Don't know what factory will charge but we thought with expense of grills and install we would probably wait and see what factory cost. A lot of labor time will have to go into making the grills. Be truthful I like it without the grills. I know rain will get in but it will also with the grills.

The motor runs about 10 degree cooler around town and even more on the highway.

Exhaust is louder and engine breathes much better. I know it is butt dyno but the Viper seems quicker. Yesterday my wife heard the exhaust and her first question "Ok what did you do to the exhaust- it is louder.":D

I think I have a plug or wire going bad. So in a few weeks Ill get it up to AB in Louisville to check it over and install a new set of plugs(BKR7E-11) and his plug wires along with a few other things.

100_7191_edited-1.jpg

100_7193_edited-2.jpg

100_7198_edited-1.jpg

100_7210_edited-1.jpg
100_7206_edited-1.jpg
100_7211_edited-1.jpg
100_7194_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your car is just crazy, inside & out .. seriously well done, big congrat's!

Everytime I see that hood I love it more.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Shandon - Be happy to have you visit.

I like the valve covers. They are painted with automotive paint so it will be interesting to see how they hold up.

Looks good! I have been running factory paint on my valve covers for several years with no problems. I was told it would be fine as long as I didn't clear coat them due to concerns over the clear coat yellowing over time. Since mine are painted yellow, probably wouldn't of been an issue anyway!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21