08 Hood Install

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought I would go ahead and start a new thread on my 08 hood install.

I purchased the hood from Parts Rack for a very good price. JonB got the hood to me quick. It is always a pleasure to do do business with JonB he has been very nice and polite to me even on Mondays.:) He has been there for me offering advice on the install. Thanks JonB.

The hood fits perfect and lines up great with the Paxton Air Box. Patrick at Max body shop in Campbellsville Ky is a great painter and such a pleasure to do business with. He is keeping me advised of the install and ask me to come by and check on the progress.

My first impression of the 08 hood was - Wow - look at dem big holes in the hood. Man their will be a lot more air to the Paxton box and plenty of room for the hot air to escape from the engine.

I should have the pad in a few weeks and Patrick is going to make & install the grills. I got two pieces of grill mesh, 4' by 8", from Advance Auto-they are diamond shape & polished aluminum. I probably will have the grills painted black or possibly Viper Blue. To be honest I am tempted to run with out the grills.

The first pics are of the hood unfinished. Other pics of the finished product will follow next week.

The last pic of the underside of the hood is with one coat of paint sanded down. The hood will have multiple coats of blue paint & clear. The wide 06 stripes are going to line up fine.

I know none of you have this problem but I am thinking about having the bumper painted underneath-those dog gone old curbs keep getting in my way. Probably should have the underneath of the rear fender painted-those A6 tires are like a sand blaster-but oh how I love those tires.

100_7166_edited-1.jpg

100_7169_edited-1.jpg

100_7168_edited-1.jpg

100_7170_edited-1.jpg

100_7173_edited-1.jpg

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how the stripes look running thru the openings and over the hood scoop. As you can see from this pic, Dodge avoided doing that by going with much thinner stripes.

081720071512201790.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a actual Mopar 2008 hood and Jon B has a few more in stock.

Scroll down on this forum to a thread "08'***** the Street" by 8 0f 200. He has a mopar hood installed on his 2006 Blue/White coupe. He has some good pics and one pic shows the hood from the front and I think it looks very good. Hope 8 0f 200 does not mind but here is the pic. This is exactly how my stripes will line up

08_hood_2.jpg

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Here was a better picture from the aforementioned thread. It looks pretty good, but in my opinion does not flow with the lines that the openings create. Just my $0.02 worth.

PICT00831.jpg

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to see this angle. It is much more telling of what the car looks like going down the road.

Maybe even a bit lower would work as well.

VOI9_Coupe_7.jpg

SRTLEN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree,it doesn't look terrible but the wide stripes don't flow well, IMHO. I wonder what the commemorative edition stripes would look like on it?? Didn't they tapper to the scoop?

Len

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dont think it looks right with the 08 hood and 06 stripes. The stripes on a 06 are fatter and on the 08 hood, it lloks like the lines of the hood taper in while the stripes almost appear to grow fatter and point outwards. A optical effect,but like mentioned above, it doesnt flow right.

If I had stripes on a 06 and had to have a 08 hood, Id probably taper them down a hair from start of hood( kinda Comp Coupe style) and by the time they got to middle of the hood have them match up like factory 08 stripes. This way the stripes wouldnt go thru hood vents and throw off the look. Id also re-do the front bumper so it all matched and flowed together. You wouldnt have to worry about the roof or trunk because they arent near eachother. Spend a little more money, get a much better look.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hiss,

Look great, anxious to see the final results. Better put some grills under those louvers, otherwise you could loose a small child down there. LOL

If you end up getting the inner rear fender touched up, you might want to buy a sheet of the 3m clear bra and cover that area in question.

Standing by for the final pics!

Take care
John

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe it will look even better in person. JonB says the blue and white Viper does look good on the road and very good in person. I may have the front bumper taken off and have the bottom repainted. This would be a good time to go with narrow stripes. But I am still tempted to go ahead and see how it looks. My painter said lets try it and see and I believe he will work with me on any future changes.

John-it has 3 m on it but you would not believe how the tires sand blast the 3m. But I had about 6000 miles on the car with regular tires with no 3m and the lower rear fender and sills did suffer.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if someone could photoshop the picture to verse the colors. Basically, I'd like to see who this hood looks on my VOI car before I do it.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hood sells for 1395. Factory grills will be ready in a few months but the pads probably in about two weeks-these will cost extra.

Just went by the paint shop and got on VCA and Patrick saw the pics. He personally likes the wider stripes better. Like he said the 08 hood is very aggressive looking and even more so in person ,and this is the look he really likes. The louver openings and intake are big-which I like -and the design of the louvers will even **** out more air from the engine compartment .

This is just my opinion but the 08 hood without stripes does not have perfect styling flow characteristics but gives the Viper a very aggressive look. Jeff mentioned this in his comparison of his hood and the Mopar hood.

So I think it will come down to a persons taste. If you want a aggressive look and better air flow characteristics go with the Mopar 08 hood. For me you can't get it too aggressive. Can you believe a man my age wants this kind of look. Lets see-how can I put it-to me the dog gone hood is just **** looking. It turns me on and this is a hard thing to do for a man over 70;).

I wish JonB would come on and explain about the air flow characteristics or dynamics.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I wish JonB would come on and explain about the air flow characteristics or dynamics........

The raised front lip on these Louvre-Extractors actually does 2 things, first discovered on the later GTS-R Oreca race cars in the ALMS series:

1)The wedge-shaped lip creates some additional downforce.

2) Perhaps more importantly for most users: as the air is forced up and over the "airfoil" front lips, it creates a VACUUM as it passes over the louver openings. This EXTRACTS heat from the engine bay, and in the process would also help eliminate lift from air passing under the engine bay as well. While the 03-06 SRT had louvres, they were aerodynamicaly passive vs the 2008. I swear the 2008 looks like an F-22 or F-15 intake, VERY aero-****
You must be registered for see images
II
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will do Ron

I hope the new pad has the Viper on it. I painted the one on my 2006 pad and I like the look. Since I have an extra old pad with the Viper painted I may try to cut and fit and see how it looks.

I haven't decided on the color of the grills. I have three choices polished aluminum ,black or Viper Blue. The polished may be a little to much. The painter will call me before the 6 grills are installed and we will make the decision. One good thing-since the grills will be installed by screws it will be easy to take them off and change the color. I would like to get some opinions on the grill color.

Believe me I have seen a lot of pics of the 08 hood but when I saw the hood in person it was a jaw dropper. Those are very big openings at the intake and each side.

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Gene, The hood is going to look great! I think the black grills will probably look the best. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Sterling

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks deam and everybody for the info.

Sterling good to hear from you how are things going with the Viper. Have you made more changes.

Black is the color on the factory grills. What will enter the picture here is the silver stripe cutting across the corner of the louver.

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gene, I have added a few more things. Woodhouse engine and trans mounts, Roe throttle body, Comp Coupe U/D pulley and Belanger headers with cat delete exhaust. Car is running great. Thanks for asking.

Would it be possible to have the silver stripe continue across a black louver?

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man you have done a lot. I bet the Viper not only runs good but sounds great.

My next project is the mounts. Need to find some one to do this.

It will go over corner of a louver the question is would I want to have the silver stripe painted over the corner of the installed grill (doubtful). My painter is going to check this out with me when hood is painted. I would think you could get even better air flow without the grills. I don't drive the Viper in the rain but even with the grills installed and I got caught in the rain some water is bound to get through.

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You will love those mounts...Those grills will probably have a very small effect on the airflow. I don't think rain would be a problem. I think it may look more finished with the grills as well as keeping out small debris, children and animals....:lmao:

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't drive the Viper in the rain but even with the grills installed and I got caught in the rain some water is bound to get through.

During the Hearst Castle event, I got caught in a lot of rain (that JonB brought with him :jester: )

I was worried about the air filters while driving. They actually stayed dry with the 08 hood :dunno:

Saturday night I was concerned with the rain that was directly hitting the fuze box while parked, so I put some trash bags under the hood. I didn't really need too, the box was dry.

Driving back Monday, I drove thru even more rain, stopped once to check the filters and again, it was all good... FWY speeds up to 70 mph, didn't cause any water related problems...

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Kala

I think you mentioned that you are running with out grills.

My Viper has a SC installed and the air filter is, as you know, flat. Not for sure but this type of filter could pick up a little water.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Kala

I think you mentioned that you are running with out grills.

My Viper has a SC installed and the air filter is, as you know, flat. Not for sure but this type of filter could pick up a little water.

No grills or pad yet.

I guess the flat filter *could* pick up some water...

With the stock box, I felt as far back in the box as I could, and didn't even feel moisture :dunno: My filters were dry as well as the box.

It also seems there may be a baffle that goes into the hood scoop, like the 06. That may help with the flat filters too.
Since it never rains in So Ca (except when JonB is here :lmao:) I'm going to run with grills and pad, if there is a baffle, I plan to leave it out.

Is your car running cooler with the 08 hood? Mine seems to be...

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is still at the body shop. Should be done by end of next week.

Seems to me it would run cooler.

We should have the pad soon. As mentioned the grills will be cut and installed at the body shop. Should have pics of install next week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kala-I edited the post because I was afraid that Jon B may get a halo and it would not be as much fun when I call him on Monday.;)

I am getting in deep trouble here--Jonb will want the hood back now.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off topic but while waiting on the 08 hood pics thought I would post a interesting pic of a good looking couple that were looking at the Viper at the car show in Somerset Ky a few days before Oct 31.

100_7134_edited-1.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21