08 Hood Install

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amazing work, I am for sure going with the 2008 hood thanks to you. Your painter did amazing work. I truly love the look and you have an amazing Car Hiss.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I had some polished grill pieces on hand and I was concerned with something getting through those big vents, I made templates cut and shaped 6 grills and painted them with a high temp black engine paint.

This was time consuming work. I should have taken the hood off it would have made it a easier job. I got a bunch of cuts on my hands with with those sharp edges on the cut pieces.

If I had it to do over I probably would have ordered some black powder coated flat diamond grill pieces from customcar grills.com. The flat would be much easier to work with and they do have a special trim that you can install around the grills.

I installed the grills with #12 by 1/2" screws and washers--Could not find black so they had to be painted.

Here are some pics

100_7225_edited-1.jpg

100_7224_edited-2.jpg

100_7223_edited-1.jpg

100_7221_edited-1.jpg

000_0325_edited-1.jpg

000_0331_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Grills Hiss...

I still have open hood vents :( I went to customgrills.com and found their

You must be registered for see images

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Even a whole page of the shop Cats :omg:

But alas no flat diamond grill :dunno: Whats up with that?

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Kala customcargrills.com

For 5.00 They have a complete sample kit-I ordered the kit just to see what the product looks lie.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of the flat in aluminum

First Pic is the flat and regular the regular xxl is about what I have installed now

Second pic is the extreme flat

You can go to Advance auto and get the aluminum mesh in sheets 8" by 4' but it is polished. Their design is about like the regular listed above. Advance is where I got my grills but had to paint the grills black. Even if you order the powder coated black you will probably have some touching up to do because of the cutting and shaping.

What ever you get be sure it is aluminum so you can cut and shape.

xxl-flat.jpg

diamondextreme1.jpg

Last edited:

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
OK - so I am biased, but when looking at the stripes, I look for a clean, straight edge. Using the '08 hood with the '06 stripes - does not happen. When looked at straight on, it looks great, but with any angle, it looks out of sorts. Just my opinion of course, which is worth about $0.02.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier on in the thread-if you are looking for perfect flow characteristics you will not fine it by putting a 08 hood on a 06 with stripes. Personally I like the wide stripes on the 06 better than the small stripes on the 08 but I realize they had to do it that way to get the flow they wanted.

The Viper looks better in person and really has a aggressive look. The +'s far out weigh the -'s. The car just flat out runs better and cooler. The more I drive the Viper with the new hood the better I like it.

I had some reservations about making this mod but I have had the hood for a short period of time and consider it to be one of the best mods if not the best mod I have made.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow Great attention to details, I hope that the mesh that will be coming with the 2008 hoods when it finally does come with the hood, will look as good as yours does. I can imagine those edges are pretty sharp when having to work with that stuff. Now you dont have to worry about falling cats and dogs falling into that beautiful hood of yours ;) Well thanks to you that will be another for sure upgrade I will be doing to my Viper, great work Hiss. Give us some complete viper pics now, I just love how much more aggressive the new hood makes the Viper. :2tu:

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Car looks great with the 08' hood!!! Is it a direct bolt on? no fabrication required?

I can have it shipped to a painter and install it myself?

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for comments

It even looks more aggressive in person.

Izover4u what color is your Viper-stripes involved?

No fabrication ,just a direct bolt on. It is a easy install, but since the hood is fairly heavy you would need help. I would think that you would need to have the Viper at the body shop just to make sure on the fitting and paint matching-this is why it is so good to have it done by a local. After the first coat of paint they took my Viper out in the sunlight and did a visual check of paint match. My painter mixed his own paint-if your shop does not mix their own they will probably have it scanned for a paint match.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you take some close up picks of the mesh inserts from the underside of the hood. I love the look.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I will do that-One of the grills I need to replace - I just made a mistake in cutting and at that time could not find another grill piece and it is only noticeable from the underside

Last edited:

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for comments

It even looks more aggressive in person.

Izover4u what color is your Viper-stripes involved?

No fabrication ,just a direct bolt on. It is a easy install, but since the hood is fairly heavy you would need help. I would think that you would need to have the Viper at the body shop just to make sure on the fitting and paint matching-this is why it is so good to have it done by a local. After the first coat of paint they took my Viper out in the sunlight and did a visual check of paint match. My painter mixed his own paint-if your shop does not mix their own they will probably have it scanned for a paint match.

I have a white mamba no stripes...:2tu: I think it would look great!!

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in process of uploading pics of underside.

It would look great on the mamba. Their was a lot of work on getting the stripes to line up properly. You should get a good looking flow on your Viper.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the hood open and looking at the top of each vent their is a small opening that extends across the top. I cut the grills so about 1/2" on the top of the grill fits into the opening -This is the reason their is no screws in this area.

The 2nd or middle grill as you can see was not cut properly so it could extend through the small opening-this is the one I will probably doing over.

I did not have enough washers so I need to get those installed. In fact as soon as possible I will take all the grills back off and trim them up so they will look a little better.

I wish I had some kind of trim to go around the edge. I did have a small flexible door edge guard and I put this around one of the grills but I didn't like the look

Be interesting to see how the factory grills are installed.

Here are a few pics of the underside of the hood.

100_7238_edited-1.jpg

100_7236_edited-2.jpg

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great - keep me posted

What have you decided to do about the stripes?

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hiss, great job!!! I'm hoping to get a hood in the new few weeks and certainly want to copy your work on the grills. Maybe if it's cold in January I could convince you to come to SCA and help? Thanks for all the pictures, etc,! Mike

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh man-SCA in the winter time

We have a cold front moving into Ky tonight. Got a chuckle a little while ago-I told my wife about the cold front and she said-"do you know the opposite of a cold front--it is a warm back.":)

On the grills-what makes it more difficult to make them - the vents are different size. The last vent toward the back is two inches longer and a little higher. This is why I think the flat aluminum grill would be easier to work with. If you make your grills check out the sample pack from custom car grills. I think you could do a better, sure a lot easier, job with the hood off.

It is a awesome hood. You have got to see it in person to really appreciate it.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help and ideas. I know I'll want to loop back with you after the holidays when I start the process. Again, great work!

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love how to stripe dips into the vents, reminds me of the Ford GT. The hood and stripes look great Hiss. :)

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for comments

The dip into the vent doesn't bother me at all In fact I am like Pattymelt-I like it.

The air flow is better - the engine runs a little cooler and, because of the large vents and much smaller pad, the exhaust sounds louder. I know this Viper like the palm of my hand and by butt dyno-The Viper seems to be performing better-it seems quicker and better throttle response. Its almost like the Viper is saying--THANK YOU;)

Everybody - this is a great mod. I love it.

I hope we get pics and info on the 08 soon.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay I am seriously looking to purhasing the 08 hood now and need seme help. I am interested in a pic with the hood partially opened so I can see where the vents and the intake line up to. Particularly i am interested to see if the cross menber falls underneath the vents as that is where i have mounted my motons and the vents would help keep them cool.

Hiss can you help me out here?

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a few pics.

The way your canisters are installed they would be almost under the second vent. My canisters are located under the first vent. In the first pic, where your canisters are located, I put a plastic bottle about the same size.

Notice the pic of the intake-across the intake and hanging about a 1 1/2" is a baffle. The baffle directs the air even more down to the SC filter.

Nader I can't say enough about the hood--the looks, the increased air flow and the sound etc. Get ready for a different sound. Hard to explain the sound-its louder and you can almost hear the air swishing through-even more under wot. As I mentioned before the engine loves the hood-it just breathes better.

Man you can hear every little thing going on in the engine. Some may not like this but I do.

100_7279_edited-1.jpg

100_7289_edited-1.jpg
100_7275_edited-1.jpg

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will not be sorry-I am going to do a little more research on the grills. I have a grill sample pack coming in a few days.

I haven't heard, in a while, when they expect the factory grills to be available and what they will cost.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21