08 Viper Starts Then Turns Off What's Wrong?

SRT BEE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know this has been asked before but I can't find anything when searching. I took my car out today for the first tome in months and when I start it it turns off after a few seconds and it will not start unless I push the key fob two more times. It never did this before. My father also has an 08 and his has always been like that and I used to bug him that something was wrong with his. Is this something wrong with our cars or is there something we need to program in the security system? Thanks Guys

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I vaguely remember reading something about the security system on those cars needing to be reset under certain circumstances. Did you take a look at the owner's manual yet? I *think* that's where I read it, and it had a procedure for synching up your key and key fob to the security system again. I believe these cars have the basic Chrysler "Sentry Key" system which shuts off the fuel system if the car doesn't recognize the key (or something like that).

OP
OP
S

SRT BEE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For the first six months I only had to push the key fob once to get it started. Know I have to push it twice and not only that but it seems I don't jump right in and start it in 30 seconds or less I have to push the fob twice more for a total of four times. I have read the manual it says you have to disarm the security system first by either the key lock in the door or by pushing the key fob, it says nothing about pushing the key fob more than once.

Slypopsracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep I never thought I would get use to these hoots,esp Dave 6666 and then one day he had me laughing so hard and now I'm ready to vote him president. An acquired taste,I suppose. Hope you straighten your snake out.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought I joined this site for the knowledge.

Hope you get your problem solved. By posting on this forum, you can expect to get a few wisecracks from time to time as it is part of the culture. Its been going on since I joined in 2002 so don't be offended.

OP
OP
S

SRT BEE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hope you get your problem solved. By posting on this forum, you can expect to get a few wisecracks from time to time as it is part of the culture. Its been going on since I joined in 2002 so don't be offended.

I'm not offened, I am used to it on a race site I go on I just didn't expect it here.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once you unlock the car, you have approx 1 minute to start the car. I you wait too long it will start and die after a few seconds, so you have to unlock again with the keyfob and restart. Annoying but it's somekind of weird safety feature unique to Vipers I think

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not offened, I am used to it on a race site I go on I just didn't expect it here.

:shocked::shocked::jawdrop::jawdrop::flush::flush::slap::slap::chair::chair:

:sorry2::sorry2::spank::spank::bolt::bolt::shark:

My dry since of humor...can't help it...

I laugh lots while reading these forums. I look forward to certain folks' posts for the comic relief. From the owners I've met (in person) so far most are comics and speed freaks. I think what you'll find about this forum is that it is like every other forum minus the flame fests and e-**** sword fights that happen on 99% of the other forums. Everyone here seems to respect each other and even when there are disagreements it seems common ground is always found, civilly. There are a ton of really cool emoticons that can be used and me, like most use the fool out of them, especially when making a joke.

No intention of offending or upsetting - I find it funny when it happens to me on my posts. I prefer light hearted reading over listening to Ben Stein - JMO.

I apologize.

V

Venomiss

Call a Viper Tech. Mark Jorgensen.

Either write to mjorgensen here in a PM or:

Woodhouse Viper Service Mgr.
800-889-1893 work
402-677-2935 cell

OP
OP
S

SRT BEE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for yor advice. I tried both cars today and they are doing the same thing. I don't understand how it can be caused by the security system because if I wait more than one minute The car does not even turn over nor has the security system re-armed itself. I will ask Mark. FastZilla thanks for the apology but I would have preffered to get you back.:bonker:

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is the passive immobilizer... it is standard on all Canadian 08-09 cars.

Yes, the starter is disabled if the engine was not powered up while the body controller is unlocked.

If you key on during the "go" time the engine may crank, but it will not stay running unless the body controller continues to report "go".

The system times out very quickly, and will require "unlock" from the fob again to reenable everything.

It is a system required on the Viper by Canadian law... you could have your dealer set the body controller to "usa" and the immobilizer would work to American specification. But you would also lose your DRL lighting.

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The system does not "arm" the alarm, it is only meant to immobilize the vehicle if someone was to attempt to jimmy the column... and it must do this "passively" which is why there is a timer, and not input from you the driver.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is the passive immobilizer... it is standard on all Canadian 08-09 cars.

Yes, the starter is disabled if the engine was not powered up while the body controller is unlocked.

If you key on during the "go" time the engine may crank, but it will not stay running unless the body controller continues to report "go".

The system times out very quickly, and will require "unlock" from the fob again to reenable everything.

It is a system required on the Viper by Canadian law... you could have your dealer set the body controller to "usa" and the immobilizer would work to American specification. But you would also lose your DRL lighting.
Note DRL can be set to on separately using a DRB. The immobilizer feature would drive me crazy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine