09 Viper or 09 Cayman S

GoRide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello guys, i've been reading this forum for years, always been a fan of Vipers, and now can finally afford one.

But after A LOT of considering and research, i narrowed down to these two. I consider everything, overall performance, fun factor, quality, street status (not a poser, just want something that people will give a second glance), maintenance cost,and being daily driver, at least livable comfort. Had the opportunity to drive an 08 Cayman S, and liked it, only miss some extra power, but no test rides allowed on the Snake.

Now to me it narrows down to character, since as configured they are about 80K. I think the Dodge will win here but would like to know Yall's input.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK confused here Cayman S is in the same category as a Viper???:dunno: Seriously you buy a Cayman S you will be sick the first time the 09' Viper you didn't buy pulls up besides you and the S wets itself. UH my vote would be Viper:D.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello guys, i've been reading this forum for years, always been a fan of Vipers, and now can finally afford one.

But after A LOT of considering and research, i narrowed down to these two. I consider everything, overall performance, fun factor, quality, street status (not a poser, just want something that people will give a second glance), maintenance cost,and being daily driver, at least livable comfort. Had the opportunity to drive an 08 Cayman S, and liked it, only miss some extra power, but no test rides allowed on the Snake.

Now to me it narrows down to character, since as configured they are about 80K. I think the Dodge will win here but would like to know Yall's input.

This is a joke, right?

FangZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
overall performance - Viper
fun factor - Viper
quality - Porsche
street status - Viper
maintenance cost - Viper
being daily driver, at least livable comfort - Porsche

Looks like 4:2 to me.

Add the best car club in America, the VCA, and the snake wins hand down! :smirk:

V

Venomiss

Have someone give you a ride in a Viper before you make the decision.
Where are you from?

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll probably get many opinions on this one.

I've had a 911/C2 but still have my Viper. They are both great machines, but so different. When I drive the snake, I usually get out of it with a stupid grin on my face. The Porsche was always fun, just not the same visceral experience. And I love torque!

And as you state for wanting people to give you a second look, the Viper will definitely win over the Porsche everytime, regardless of generation, unless it is a Carrera GT :smirk:

Dr V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you are looking for brute horsepower and dont mind alot of attention at car shows then just buy the viper. :drive:

OP
OP
G

GoRide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a joke, right?

LOL, it really isn't. I know they are not on the same performance level, but the overall features of the Cayman being a Porsche, PASM, DFI engine, mid engine balance, Bose sound system, LSD, launch control and absolutely AMAZING cabin make it a serious competitor to me.

OP
OP
G

GoRide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, if anybody wants to comment on reliability, i'd be thankful.

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I own both, the porsche has more issues but is reliable. Wifes car

Last edited:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, never. Daytona Beach, FL :)
Daytona, all right. An old Embry Riddle Aeronautical University brat myself and lived there for many years (Holly Hill). Go there every year too for the 24 Rolex. The Cayman S is an awesome car and I almost bought one as a dailey driver. But for a little more dough the Viper is a whole different animal. Dont recommend one though as a dailey driver.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a GenII coupe although, it could be different with the gen IV there are NO reliability issues from my experience and I average 6-8000 miles per year.I have never seen or heard of any Viper with reliability issues as a rule, I am sure there are lemons but that applies to all manufacturers.
I cant imagine not having the Viper.Love the looks of the Cayman although the interior
doesnt appear to be any more inspiring than a Viper.I cant imagine commuting in a Viper but to each their own.Buy a used version of BOTH then no worries!!!!!:2tu:

OP
OP
G

GoRide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daytona, all right. An old Embry Riddle Aeronautical University brat myself and lived there for many years (Holly Hill). Go there every year too for the 24 Rolex. The Cayman S is an awesome car and I almost bought one as a dailey driver. But for a little more dough the Viper is a whole different animal. Dont recommend one though as a dailey driver.

Nice! I did 2 years of aeronautical science, got my private pilots license, but then lost interest with IFR. :lmao:

Damn right, i watch the 24 too, and if i open my windows here i can clearly hear the cars. :2tu:

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a GT3 and an 08 Viper. I love both cars for different reasons. If I (read: me) had to pick only one...it would be the GT3. I love the smell, feel, sound, and pedigree of the Porsche. Also, driving really fast isnt as hard in the Porsche as it is in the Viper. Let me explain. In the Viper, when your doing 100 mph it sounds and feels like 150 MPH. In the Porsche, at 100 MPH your adjusting the AC and stereo and yawning. My opinions only.

Flash

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have someone in FL. give you a ride. You'll keep a grin on your face for many days to come.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I go through daily drivers every two years - just bought an SRT8Jeep until I decide what inspires me. For some reason I became "emotionally vested" in my Viper Mamba which by the way only has 2,500 miles. There is just something about the driving experience that I have not been able to parallel with other cars out there; I have test drove all the new line of Porsches up to the Turbo 911. They are different knowing that if I bought one in two years I would be looking for something else. Then there is the excitment of what you can do in terms of performance to the Viper with great help from this club. It becomes an inspirational show piece when friends come over and look at all the goodies I have added to the car. As most members have posted two different cars for different purposes......

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. I never ever thought I'd see this comparison being cross shopped.:omg: They are just worlds apart in everything but price. Viper will emasculate the Cayman S in everything. I like the Cayman S alot too but I'd pick Viper if it were my 80k being spent. I mean. 600HP

3SRTsandGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, if anybody wants to comment on reliability, i'd be thankful.

March 22 the North-Central Florida Viper Club is renting a small road course in Gainesville. We are expecting about 16-20 Vipers. Saturday afternoon at 4 pm (March 21), we are cruising through Central Florida and then for dinner. I'm sure many would offer you a ride.

With respect to reliability, I personally believe Vipers are remarkable. Many of us drive to the track, push the car at the limit for several hours, and then drive home numerous times per year. I'm sure the Porsche will do the same, so it boils down to what you want from a car.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My honest opinion:

if possible, get BOTH

Used Cayman for daily driver, comforts, decent performance and exclusivity

= 42,000

Used Viper: GTS and some SRT-10's for weekend driver, better performance and more exclusivity

= 40-50g

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice! I did 2 years of aeronautical science, got my private pilots license, but then lost interest with IFR. :lmao:

Damn right, i watch the 24 too, and if i open my windows here i can clearly hear the cars. :2tu:
Aero science was my major too and now working for a major airline as a wide body intl. Captain. Took 5 years for a 4 year degree though, too much partying on the beach if u know what I mean!! I used to fly those old Convairs there with Trans Florida Airlines. Let us know what you end up buying. Hope its a Viper, even a used Gen. 2 would be cool cruising down Atlantic Ave. :)

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd consider a Cayman as a ******/daily vehicle, but if it is the primary toy I see those as the wannabe-911. I'd rather have a Carerra over the mini-Porsche. This isn't even a good pair to cross shop, nothing in common.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyones daily drive is different. Frequent in and outs =Porsche, Taking it out at lunch=Porsche, Leaving it unattended=Porsche.

Now go out and buy a Ford Focus for daily b.s. and get that new Viper.

The worst issue the Viper has, is that it's the "performance" magazines step-child. Owning is believing.

dtenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Porsche cars start to get interesting over 100K new (i.e. GT3, GT2, Turbo). One of my issues with the under 100K Porsche cars is acceleration, mid 13 sec quarter mile power with 106 mph traps doesn't cut it for my $80K. I would consider comparing a used Porsche Turbo or GT3 to a Viper. With that said, I would choose the Viper every time. In this economy I also like to support American automakers willing to produce a car like the Viper. As a kid I never dreamed about someday owning a Prius, but a Blue/White GTS....that was the car.

-David

Last edited:

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the Cayman's big brother and while the car is built very well (same parts bin as the Cayman), if you like to drive like I do, the Viper is without question the better car. Cayman seems sedated after I drive the snake.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While I am definitely a big Porsche guy, I love em, this is a complete no brainer. The two cars are not even comparable as they aren't even in the same class of car. The Cayman S quite frankly is nothing more than a little bit glorified Boxster. Don't get me wrong, the Cayman S is a great car and handles well. It gets along amazingly well for its 295 hp and it is smooth as glass. But to talk as if the Viper and Cayman S are close is just ludicrous talk. These two are not apples and oranges. Now if you are talking the 911 turbo, then yes, I could see the dilemma. Maybe even just a 911. Porsche is a well made car. But just from the performance standpoint, the Cayman S would not compare to ANY Viper, any year, any generation.

The Cayman S would be a great daily driver and definitely has some ***** and some styling. But to compare it to a Viper with some quandary as to which one to get is, once again, just plain silly and uninformed about either car. It's like saying, "oh what to get, that Ferrari or the new Cadillac." "Geez what do I do, they are so close."

If you are looking for a daily driver get the Porsche as it is definitely far more civilized car than the Viper. If it's performance, styling and quite frankly, prestige and rarity, then once again, it's a no brainer. :hitwithrock:

P.S. I don't know who is trying to charge you 80k for a Cayman S but you can get one decked out way way cheaper than that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960