09 Viper or 09 Cayman S

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad;

Well, your comments would bother me, but you are from Fort Mac. That says all I need to know.

Seriously, though I owned a Jeep SRT8 for about 14 months and have to say that it was the biggest piece of crap I have owned to date. The motor was great, the tranny and remaining driveline was very poor. Interior quality, etc. was just NOT there. 1/2 the price new or not, the SRT8 is not worth the money. Sorry, but very real world experience on that one.

I think my post was pretty clear. Obviously you have never driven a Cayenne otherwise you would not just fall back on your lame VW statement. VW built or whatever, it is an absolutely great vehicle to drive and has held up great all the years we have owned them. After 14 months my SRT8 was falling apart as the rear shock towers broke off the rear housing twice. truck has never seen off road and Jeep was going to deny me warranty on that. Just junk! Bought both of the Cayennes used, for about 15K more than a new SRT8. Well worth the money. Would I buy new for MRSP, never, but used it was one hell of a deal.

Now I am not a VW lover but can tip my hat to good engineering. Pretty sure the Veyron has some VWness in it and that doesn't seem to bother anyone dumping down that kind of coin.

I still stand buy what I said before. The Porsche cars are not worth it and the Cayenne is a diamond in the ruff for that manufacturer. If you ever get out of Fort Mac and into civilization like into Edmonton or Calgary, actually drive some of these vehicles instead of reading about them in your favorite rag. There is a big difference :).

I can give you kudos on the Viper and Hummer (H1 old school) but hows that Mitsubishi Stealth holding out for ya? Really, proud of a Mitsubishi?

Whoah, easy there Hoss:D
I wasn't making fun of you or your Cayenne, never drove one, just pointing out why you'd like the Cayenne and not the Porsche cars. From what I've heard they're overbuilt, not unlike the unpopular Phaeton, and can off road with the best of them, go figure.:dunno:
By the way, up here in the sticks there are quite a few Turbo Cayennes running around.:cool:

Did you need Google maps for the geographical part of that rant?:lmao:

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GoRide,
I apologize as being part of now almost "officially" Hijacking your thread. Since you are on your way to a Viper I hope you don't mind the side bar.:hijack:

Coloviper,
I can't believe the shock towers :omg::omg::aargh::burned: I'd be right there with you :curse: Sounds like your Cayenne actually gets the AWD exercised in other places besides green lights against Vettes. I have to say, if I had the Jeep you did I'd drive it right back into the show room where I bought it - w/o opening the doors first! :drive::hitfan: Please don't read my Jeep adventures in the other reply as if I was Pike's Peaking it up to the cell sites. Some of the stuff requires slowing down and taking the right line or I'd be leaving the bumper cover at the site and scratching up my shinny 20's. Now in the trucks it's pure pick-up truck rodeo...

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad;

Well, your comments would bother me, but you are from Fort Mac. That says all I need to know.

Seriously, though I owned a Jeep SRT8 for about 14 months and have to say that it was the biggest piece of crap I have owned to date. The motor was great, the tranny and remaining driveline was very poor. Interior quality, etc. was just NOT there. 1/2 the price new or not, the SRT8 is not worth the money. Sorry, but very real world experience on that one.

I think my post was pretty clear. Obviously you have never driven a Cayenne otherwise you would not just fall back on your lame VW statement. VW built or whatever, it is an absolutely great vehicle to drive and has held up great all the years we have owned them. After 14 months my SRT8 was falling apart as the rear shock towers broke off the rear housing twice. truck has never seen off road and Jeep was going to deny me warranty on that. Just junk! Bought both of the Cayennes used, for about 15K more than a new SRT8. Well worth the money. Would I buy new for MRSP, never, but used it was one hell of a deal.

Now I am not a VW lover but can tip my hat to good engineering. Pretty sure the Veyron has some VWness in it and that doesn't seem to bother anyone dumping down that kind of coin.

I still stand buy what I said before. The Porsche cars are not worth it and the Cayenne is a diamond in the ruff for that manufacturer. If you ever get out of Fort Mac and into civilization like into Edmonton or Calgary, actually drive some of these vehicles instead of reading about them in your favorite rag. There is a big difference :).

I can give you kudos on the Viper and Hummer (H1 old school) but hows that Mitsubishi Stealth holding out for ya? Really, proud of a Mitsubishi?

The Cayenne and the Jeep SRT8 are really apples and oranges. The Jeep can be raced on a road course - I have done so at Homestead. The Cayenne does not have the suspension to do this. The Jeep suspension, as a result, is tight and the ride over any kind of bump can be a bit jarring. The Jeep has a zero to sixty time of 4.6 seconds or less. The Turbo Cayenne is not even close to this performance level. The 08 and 09 SRT8 Jeeps have a better interior than the prior years. The Jeep SRT8 is/was not meant for off road use. This is in part because of the low front fascia height, the polished aluminum wheels, etc. The Jeep SRT8 was engineered for track and straight line performance. Last, it's subjectve but I think that the Jeep SRT8 in black is a far better looking car than the Cayenne. I am sorry that you had a bad experience with your Jeep but I do not think that it is representative of the typical Jeep SRT8 experience.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad;

Actually I grew up about 75 minutes North and East of Lloydminister. Been in Denver now for a little over 13 years. You Fort Mac boys always got the "big bucks" for roughneck work! :) Lots of stupid money up there, or was before the government set in and killed a majority of the Oil Sands projects.

Yah, I know there are a lot of hot toys up there. As I said, loved the Jeep to look at, (it is meaner looking than my Cayenne Turbo S and it was black) but the ride was pretty harsh and the shocks breaking in the back (right off the axle) was just something I was not prepared to continue to forgo if they were not going to warranty it. Yep I bought it at night in the darkness of the front lot at the dealership, brand new. I looked it over and saw the primer but thought it was maybe just polishing compound dust, since they had just detailed it. I mean it was a brand new truck for crying out loud. Boy was I wrong.

I will say 0-50 the Jeep would cream my Turbo S, no doubt, but wind it up beyond 50 and it is no contest at all, the Turbo S walks away from it solidily, smoothly and quietly.

I don't track my trucks as they are just everyday use. Guess my everyday vehicle I wanted that Lincoln/Lexus soft ride, quiet with no rattles, etc. and all the luxury features as the Cayenne just provides that with the power. Very refined. The SRT8 was a pretty bone jarring ride. In the end, I wanted a soft ride for everyday and when I want to really haul butt, I would sooner do it in one of my cars as opposed to the Jeep.

The Jeep SRT had great power, but I could not overcome all the other negatives I was experiencing with it. When an opportunity came up to trade it in after 14 months on a certified pre-owned 05' Cayenne Turbo X.50 (Pre-Turbo S) for only $15K, plus tax difference, I didn't see how I could go wrong. They gave me $42K for my Jeep SRT8 on trade and I paid $57K, plus tax for the Cayenne. Was a great deal. Would I have paid the $137K MRSP for my Cayenne? Nope, but used it was great. And I got another 4 years, 60K miles bumper to bumper warranty.

Maybe mine was an oddity, but that was my experience and I just can't make it better. As I said, owning them both, the Cayenne Turbo is a much better vehicle all around, but then again I am getting old and don't want to hammer down the road all the time now. Damn, I am turning into my Dad! It is a good think I love him and don't mind going down that path. :)

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Colo,
That was a good deal you got on the Cayenne.
One of my guys has an 05 maybe SRT8 Jeep. I must say I like the looks on the outside, but damn, I was expecting more when he opened the door.:omg: Lots of shiny gray plastic surfaces in there. Seats were really nice, but everything else was cheaper feeling than my old truck.
Must say though, I was laughing like an idiot stomping on the gas:D, you're right from 0-50 that thing just hauls. Unbelievable holeshot for the roads we have up here. I can't get the Viper to hook here at all.
I'm assuming you've been back in Canada since you left, does it amaze you when Americans complain about the roads there, when you remember the roads here?
:hijack:
Sorry for the Hijack, but it seems the original poster has left the building anyway.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ARE WE SERIOUSLY EVEN CONSIDERING A 60K 2009 PORSHE CAYMAN OVER A 80K 09 VIPER...WERES THE COMPARISON HERE???

1N THE vIPER YOU'LL PULL UP AND HAVE PEOPLE OHH AND AHH BECAUSE IT'S BEEN MONTHS SINCE THEY SAW THE LAST ONE..iVE HAD TWO vIPRS AND EVEN I OHH AND AHH A BIT WHEN I ACTUALLY SEE ONE...

In th Porshe you'll pull up and maybey a few people will think your in a kool looking boxster hrdtop

In the Viper you'll own the road as far as raw speed is concerned and stock for stock you can smile just knowing that you would eat alive a C6Z06 or 911TT or GTR or FGT ( and a few mags even gut faster trapp speeds from the Viper than the ZR1)....

So th Viper is mor exotic and more much faster...Im still not seeing a comparison here..

Then theirs handling...Handling is important.My nsx with it's tein suspension is just an amazing car to drive..Like wise Ive herd great things about the caymn as well...But it's always how "fun" they are to drive..Or how effertlessly a ameture feels comfortable going fast..

My nsx feels a lot more fun and easier to drive than my srt10 did..Just like Im sure the cayman would as well...

But theirs the way the cars feels..And theirs the raw numbers...A Cayman cant even beat a regular 911 porshe around a track..A regular 911 porshe would be decimated by a 2003 Viper around a track..A 2008 Viper would decimate a 2003 Viper around a track as well as my nsx...

But my nsx like the cayman would feel fun..

What maters more..feelin fast or actually being fast..

Where in the cayman you could go at 9/10's your first few times on the course and say hit a 2.56 minute lap..You could go in the 2008 Viper at 7/10ths and hit a 2.54 lap..It would take you a while to gt comfortable in the 2008 Viper but once you learned to drive her a 9/10's the way you could drive the cayman you would asily be in the 2.4x lap times

jUST NOT REALLY A COMPARISON IN ANY WAY OTHER THAN INTERIOR..aND EVEN THEIR i THOUGHT THE cAYMAN COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER..BUT WILL GIVE IT THE SLIGHT EDGE OVER THE VIPER

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would compare this question to which dog do you want.

A Pomeranian or a Rottweiler? :confused:

It'a all in what you want.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen