10 throttle bodies... Cool? or Junk?

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 1st Hand exp.

Very interesting!

If I were doing it - I'd run J shaped tubes to have 10 vertical stacks. This would add extra air speed for each throttle body, improve airflow around the intakes, and simplify airbox design. 10 vertical stacks also look just as good, and do not need to be too tall if designed well - especially if force fed.

Unbeleivably powerful setups have been done this way with twin turbos - 1500hp on upwards from that on V8's.

The main problem is hood clearance - but the bulge on the Viper could easily be raised professionally to look like a factory power bulge. The curves are already there to enhance. THis would never be a mass market modification anyway.

Exactly! :headbang: onward and upward! Shhhhhh.....your gonna let the cat out of the bag!

Hey TorQ,

Why don't ya move to the states, it's beautiful here in Chicago. Just about ready to let loose with another icy cold, cabin fever, chill blast. You could walk around in gray slushy cold soup and dream about "when the hell is spring coming"? Then right when it is about to get warm again, you would be so excited being a part of making some really crazy V10 torquemonsters. When you unleash them from your reigns you will watch as they eat the pavement like a asphalt grinder. Whatta ya think? Should I buy you a ticket ;) You wanna be a snowbird? :cool:

Or maybe I'll check out Kiwi land and make a donation to the "Save the Whale fund". :D

Jr.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 1st Hand exp.

Exactly! :headbang: onward and upward! Shhhhhh.....your gonna let the cat out of the bag!

Hey TorQ,

Why don't ya move to the states, it's beautiful here in Chicago. Just about ready to let loose with another icy cold, cabin fever, chill blast. You could walk around in gray slushy cold soup and dream about "when the hell is spring coming"? Then right when it is about to get warm again, you would be so excited being a part of making some really crazy V10 torquemonsters. When you unleash them from your reigns you will watch as they eat the pavement like a asphalt grinder. Whatta ya think? Should I buy you a ticket ;) You wanna be a snowbird? :cool:

Or maybe I'll check out Kiwi land and make a donation to the "Save the Whale fund". :D

Jr.

grin - well - I often say to myself "self - how the hell did I end up being an accountant?" I mean of all the head banging things to do - I could have simply gone for a personality bypass and saved the need for an accountancy qualification

...but nobody was offering a doctorate in torquemonstering :D

Pity the pay is lousy in TM'g

Still hoping to get to Chicago next year - will pop in if I get a chance. Be summer not winter mind - Torquemonster needs his Torquewench by is side - and my Torquewench experiences failure under 60 degrees.... :D

oh yeah - and save the whales, just harpoon the really big ones :p

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 1st Hand exp. (Take 2)

Jr,
one thing I am curious about with TBs straight onto the intake runners/ports... how do you measure airflow? I am interested in this because I want to put a Motec on a bike engine with one TB per cylinder. The factory ECU switches from speed density to TPS/RPM at anything over light load, because the MAP sensor just between the throttle plate and the intake port can't get the accuracy. Do you guys use a MAP, or do you run with TPS? Just wondering what you have found... maybe I won't have to learn the hard way ;)

Torque,
I would imagine the GTSR idles at 2000rpm to stop from unsettling the car with accidental throttle let-offs. I used to do this with my bike to stop from flying over the handlebars if I panicked and whacked the throttle shut for some reason. Makes downchanging less violent if you screw up too.

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Miles B

Jr,
one thing I am curious about with TBs straight onto the intake runners/ports... how do you measure airflow? I am interested in this because I want to put a Motec on a bike engine with one TB per cylinder. The factory ECU switches from speed density to TPS/RPM at anything over light load, because the MAP sensor just between the throttle plate and the intake port can't get the accuracy. Do you guys use a MAP, or do you run with TPS? Just wondering what you have found... maybe I won't have to learn the hard way ;)

All I have for ya right now is that we are using a 3 bar map sensor.

Jr.

Dyno Dave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Miles B

The problem with hooking the map sensor to one port is the cyclic nature of the port flow. Each time the intake valve closes a pressure wave is reflected back up the runner. So the pressure measured would tend to be like a sine wave. A manifold with a plenum volume sufficient in size tends to dampen these pressure waves in the large volume. That is why you never see a map sensor mounted in one runner. On an individual runner manifold that is properly tuned there will often be a standing fuel vapor cloud above the inlets at certain engine speeds. This effect also may cause difficulty in cylinder-to-cylinder distribution as an adjacent cylinder may steal some of that fuel.

BoostedV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lil more GTS-R info

That is one of the main issues with using the Mopar 10 TB set. There is no common vacuum port. The GTS-R cars all ran off of the TPS alone. (They ran 2, 1 for a backup because they were located inside the sealed box itself) because it was a NA set up. You cannot run a forced induction car off of a TPS alone. The other concern for running a setup such as this one on a street car is the fact that you have no way to power the brakes of climate control system. You will be forced to run a vacuum pump for those systems. Getting a MAP signal would not be too difficult on this set up but taking the amount of vacuum necessary to operate all the auxiliary functions while maintaining idle has proved far more challenging. Keep in mind this intake also has no provisions for running and idle motor. There fore stalling when turning on the A/C is also a difficult problem to overcome (unless you bump the idle WAY up)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96