11-99 Manufactured Date on Motor Question!

Snakebyt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go figure, two years of "lurking" and now the second post/question in a week! My '00 GTS shows manufactured in 11-99 and I have read all about the cylinder sleeve issues in the past. This past week I tracked the car (as I have before), but with my more aggressive driving I went thru two quarts of oil (usually only one). The car has about 5k miles on it at this time and generally, does not really consume oil between changes, although I change the oil about every 1K miles + track days.

To this point, I would like to hear some feedback regarding this situation as I don't mind the high RPM oil burn/blow-by etc. but the long-term issues concern me as the warranty term fast approaches. I might also mention that I went thru approximately 3-4 quarts on the first 1K miles with a proper break-in. The consumption diminished after that.

Any feedback would be helpful and much appreciated. On a side note, I have heard some discussion about the benefits of the powdered walls but more negative than positive.

Thanks again ...

Fred Roberts
'00 GTS Black/Connolly
The usual goodies ...

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">My advise:

Buy an extended warranty...</FONT f>

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Fred, since you have a 11/99 build date you indeed have one of the powdered metallic cylinder liner motors. It's not unusual to burn 1-2 quarts at the track, I do it all the time. My Viper is an 11/99 buld date also and I opted to have the motor rebuilt. Not all motors need to be rebuilt, it's all in how the rings seat, you burned alot of oil in the break in period but not after 1,000 miles. This probably means your rings seated correctly. At 9,000 miles before my "racing" career I was burning a quart every 200 miles on the street. What I would suggest is to monitor our oil level for a while when street driving only. Measure it in the morning before you start it and make sure it is in the same spot (so there is no change in incline). Try to do this over a 500 mile period and log how much oil you lose. E-mail me if you want more info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rot8te