12.4 QUARTER MILE 2002 Z06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WATCH OUT VIPER BUDDIES THERE'S A NEW GUN IN TOWN. JUST OPENED MY NEW ISSUE OF CAR AND DRIVER AND READ ABOUT THE NEW 2002 Z06 12.4 QUARTER MILE AT 116 M.P.H. THAT'S FAST!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Butch,

Take a look at GM High Tech Performance Magazine. There's a great article about a '01 Z06 that did a 12.42... and of course, a stock '00 Viper that clearly had the edge at a 11.98. The test was done by a pro driver on a 95 degree day!

...so if 12.42 is all an '02 can muster, I'd suggest you NOT throw down your gauntlet.

Thanks for the heads up!

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing more predictable than Fergie busting out his DC pom-poms or xtremensa posting pics of some hood beef is the major car rags propping up GM. Hmmmm, wonder where the majority of their advertising dollars come from? If I have to hear about what a great value the freaking Z06 is, or how AWESOME the performance is, I may have to chuckle, or at least chortle. Please. When it comes to ANY criteria outside of a cupholder (or ABS for pre-'01 Gen II's), the Viper straight up stomps the Vette - Z06 or not.

Memo to naysayers: .5 in the 1/4 is about 5 car lengths. If that is "close," then I guess Vette guys better be leary of M3's because an M3 is as 'bout as close to a Z06 as the Z06 is to a Viper.

The only way it's actually going to be close between Dodge and GM is if 1) DC tanks and stops making the Viper, or 2) GM sacks up and builds the 427 Vette (even then, I wouldn't necessarily count out the stock Gen III, or a mildly modded Gen II - ala Big Boy). Out of these two alternatives, I think the bowtie boys have a better shot at the former happening, but then that still leaves quite a few Gen II Vipers around to dole out thrAshings at will upon Z06's foolish enough to try and bring it.

Again, for any of you tupperware captains who want a piece, roll that 100% recyclable tub of yours down to south OC and Big Boy and I will be glad to hand out a beatdown. I'm not hard to miss - I've got the loud, stinky Shelby-esque blue and white beast cruising up and down Moulton and PCH looking for a little tupperware party. You want some, you got it.

WAR I WIN AND YOU LOSE

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JusSumFastGi:

The NSX is a great car. You buy one because you want an exotic car you can drive everywhere and not have your wife / girlfriend complain about the ride / noise etc.. (When you don't want a corvette)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'nuff said

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the record, Comptech Supercharged NSXs (AKA "PMUM's *******") are slower and less reliable than a stock Gen II Viper.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JusSumFastGi:

The NSX is a great car. You buy one because you want an exotic car you can drive everywhere and not have your wife / girlfriend complain about the ride / noise etc.. (When you don't want a corvette)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My wife has never complained about "the ride", and typically there are also some great noises! No complaints there either! And no I don't want a corvette (or a NSUX)!

cool.gif

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tupperware:
I don't know, maybe the Viper is underrated and the Vette overrated as far as power output.
To take one roadtest and hold it as the universal standard is naive. Examples can be found of the Viper running low 12's in many places.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are correct regarding the ratings, at least from a Gen II "Lumpy" perspective. Numerous examples of stock Gen II's putting out approx 420 at the rear wheel can be found. Using a 15% correction factor, this yields a crank number of close to 500 HP. Using a more conservative 12% correction factor still yields over 480 HP at the crank.

You are also right about Vipers running low 12's at a lot of strip events - however, at the same events you'll find Z06's in the high 12's.

Face it, the Z06 is legitimately .5 secs slower in the 1/4, given equal conditions. This means 5 car lengths. That is a large margin. Me fast. You slow(er).

Feel free to go back to your cupholder argument.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boy I read those posts on the NSX forum, what a bunch of preppy, pompous, arrogant bad sports. Here's a true story:

Went out to Willow Springs Raceway two weeks ago (Nov. 3 & 4) with the Pantera Club for some fun. I was in blue group (fastest non-race group) along with 4 NSXs, yellow, white, black & silver. Not only were they slooooow but very un-courteous. They didn't care about anybody else on the track but themselves. I was on their a$$es in the turns and on the straights, do you think they pointed me past? NO! Did they move over or slow down in the straight for the pass? NO! This was true of all 4 cars, so I made it my mission to blow by them in the straights and cut in front of them pretty abruptly to show them who is "Big Boy" ( a quote I stole). I ended up blowing by them all day long, the yellow one who tried to hang put it into a wall in turn 4. I don't mean to stereotype drivers with cars but all four were d*cks.

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoCal Rebell:
I ended up blowing by them all day long, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lucky no 330i's showed up.

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reminds me of this guy I know with a black Viper. I was in the Kid Cruiser 330i (with said Kid Monkey leaning into the corners to balance the car out) following this '00 RT/10 (what kind of poseur gets an RT/10?). This guy wouldn't wave me by, so I had to use my Top Gun inspired "he'll hit the brakes and I'll fly right by" technique.

WAR CANDY!!!!!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Butch The Snake:
READ ABOUT THE NEW 2002 Z06 12.4 QUARTER MILE AT 116 M.P.H. THAT'S FAST!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reading about it and doing it are two different things.

Butch and Tup, thanks for posting and stirring it up. It brings some entertainment to the board.

BTW I've raced my bone stock 98RT/10 and near bone 97GTS against Z06s at road courses and dragstrips. Never lost.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tupperware:
2001 Viper GTS - 3447lb - 450hp - 7.66lb/hp

2002 Z06 - 3116lb - 405hp - 7.69lb/hp

Raw numbers? I think that's where this started...where it's gone is another story...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's the torque on a Z06?

My stock 98RT/10 is 472 at the rear wheels.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me get this straight...

2001 Viper GTS - 3447lb - 450hp - 7.66lb/hp

2001 Z06 - 3116lb - 405hp - 7.69lb/hp

I guess it's the little intangibles that give you guys the five car lengths in the quarter.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

laugh.gif

TORQUE TORQUE, TORQUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Torque is king pal...
Take V-8 home...

Gerald

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Butch The Snake:
WATCH OUT VIPER BUDDIES THERE'S A NEW GUN IN TOWN. JUST OPENED MY NEW ISSUE OF CAR AND DRIVER AND READ ABOUT THE NEW 2002 Z06 12.4 QUARTER MILE AT 116 M.P.H. THAT'S FAST!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

laugh.gif

You would think after 50 years of "heritage" (isnt' that why you guys buy those cars?) you'd finally get one capable of getting one faster.

Read what Kid said.. I don't think anyone could have said it better..

I've seen GenI RT/10's run 12.3 to 12.5 STOCK.
I've witnessed a first time drag racer run under 12.3 in his '98 RT/10.
Yes, GenII's are capable STOCK of running quite a few tenths under 12.00 (although I'll never do it). I wonder what would happen if GM wouldn't be such a strong advertiser in those magazines..
Could you imagine a Z06 slamming down a 12.4 at 116 only to be beaten by 4-5 car lengths by an equivalent driver in a GenII Viper? Too funny....
Wonder what the '03 Z06 will muster against the '03 Viper?
laugh.gif

8 car lengths?

Gerald

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marv S:
But are Vipers "Clown Shoes or barstools"?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, reading that thread made me realize that certain cars (and their drivers) bring out certain feelings in me. For instance:

When I see a Jetta piloted by a little OC blondie on her way home from Community College, I think back to the carefree days of my early twenties, when such vixens were a common sight in my travels.

When I see a C5/Z06 driven by a blue hair with lots of gold chains and pinky rings, I think to respect my elders and not go bringing massive amounts of heat to the poor old guy unless he really deserves a thrAshing - i.e., if he looks at me and does anything but wave and tip his cap.

When I see a red 550 Maranello piloted by some smack talking young guy tootling along the toll road, I think, "Ah, there's the guy I smacked around so badly last time I took Big Boy out on this road. Let's give him a little 'what-for.'"

When I see a S2000, errrr NSX, I get angry. Well, maybe it's not so much me getting angry as it is Big Boy getting steamed. You see, both Big Boy and I know that 99.9% of the drivers of this tin can are yuppies buying what they see as the perfect compromise between performance and the carefree operation of the Accord that they owned for 10 years before their wife/life partner let them buy a sports car. Undoubtedly, said ****** drastically overestimates the performance of his overpriced yuppie sled and thinks he can actually hang with Big Boy. This is when things get ugly. In case you are unfamiliar with such a scene, picture what happens when a 98 pound weakling with long hair is tossed in a jail cell with a 330 pound "hardened" inmate who has not seen the outside of the prison in 10 years and the guard yells "Lights out." You guessed it, Big Boy plays the role of the large inmate with the NSX getting some what-for broken off in its tailpipe. Nice. Come to think of it, the above analysis may apply to Porsches, Lotuses and Lambos as well. It is good to be king.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude