13 or 14 trade in values

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To bad SRT did not ask for your input on the launch of the Gen.5 or Voucher thing Bill.May be then it would be like the old Gen .2 days when everyone was a happy Viper owner if they listened to you..I know I have never had a better experience buying a new car(buy a lot of them) than when I bought my new Gen 4 from ya.....Keep up the good work Bill .......

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
15k certificate to trade up or get a second one? Psshh. For some guys whom lost 50k in one year? How about a check for that amount? Lol.

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The entire Gen 5 productivity has been nothing less then a disaster. The car is amazing, especially the TA, but I would never in a million years buy a Gen 5 looking at all of these horror stories. 50% less offered on a trade? Some not even getting offers? Give me a break! The Viper brand has been ruined due to poor marketing techniques all across the board.

Xhlr8n

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Offer was made, like I said they didnt want it. The dealership is a large back east dealership with many vipers, not a small one.

Even before the 15K off msrp, many dealerships already had them marked down 15K or more anyway, dont see what all the BS hype is all about. Many are currently offered with additional $$ off the $15k drop. There are deals to be had for sure, but at what cost.......NO trade value.

Wow we get a 15k voucher, but they are taking much more than 15k off the expected depreciation for Trades. This program doesnt benefit the Gen V owners who only want One car at a time. They have killed our car Value, Period..! Face the Facts.

Why would a dealership take a trade for a Like new 2013/14 GTS with low to no miles for say 90-100k, when they are having trouble selling new ones for 100k. obviously they wont.

Sorry but they screwed the pooch on this one.

Xhlr8n

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong, I didnt buy the car for Trade in Value, this is my 6th viper, I know what to expect in depreciation on a new car, and it wasnt this mess.

This program only benefits owners who want 2 Gen V vipers at a time, Kudos for them.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People get screwed on trade ins. It's always been that way. If you have the money to afford a six figure car...the $15k voucher is something that can be appreciated. If you over extended yourself to get into a Gen V....your probably pissed right now.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right. And I'd make space for a second one but for all of the quality control issues you read about. And it's not limited to early builds. Doors popping open, rear glass shattering, horns randomly sounding etc. When I vented these concerns a salesman said well at least your car didn't catch on fire like the Porsche guys who ordered the new GT3. Seriously?? That's your reply? What a joke.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If one buys a new Gen.5,you better get it at a fire sale price,as you are sooo stuck with it...Just wait another year when their are still hundreds of 13/14s sitting in showrooms,think you see price drops now....
Never thought I would hear a dealer will NOT even consider a Viper on trade,they have learned they will be stuck with it..Sad....

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If one buys a new Gen.5,you better get it at a fire sale price,as you are sooo stuck with it...Just wait another year when their are still hundreds of 13/14s sitting in showrooms,think you see price drops now....
Never thought I would hear a dealer will NOT even consider a Viper on trade,they have learned they will be stuck with it..Sad....

Gen V bashing! Gen V bashing! I got him. :D

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was about ready to plunk down $100k for a new '13 or '14 but this thread makes me pause for sure. I don't buy cars for resale down the road but am a CPA so I definitely value a buck and just retired at 45 so have a ways to go with my money and no plans to work from here out. Have owned 5 vipers before and always did very well for the most part on resale but this seems like a whole different situation. I personally think all of the high horsepower cars either out today or coming out (Hellcat, Z06, etc.) make people think twice about paying $100k plus for a viper (Dodge). My wife has a '13 Shelby GT500 with 662 factory HP so if I get a Gen 5 it will have less HP than my wife's car which is hard for me to swallow having a $100k or more in a Gen 5. I may still take the plunge but when I looked at Manheim auction trades the other night on Gen 5's that was downright scary seeing low mileage Gen 5's in the $70's. I can buy a loaded '14 GTS for $100k out the door which sounds great and it potentially be worth $20k - $25k less by the time I get home Damn!

Last edited:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha. There are exceptions (ford gt, countach) but for the most part you're gonna lose on a car. Even the gain on the others isn't much when u factor in years worth of insurance, taxes, fuel, maintenance etc. A car like this is a toy and meant for fun. If u used it as such and had a great time, u didn't lose anything because the value was the enjoyment. But on the other hand no one likes getting ripped off or being treated unfairly. So there is a bit of frustration out there. On the bright side, even if the car has no value at all and can't be traded in at any price (which is what my local lambo dealer told me) it doesn't negate the fact that it's one of the coolest and most underrated super cars in the market today. It's an American exotic. And it's self evident from the responses of those who see it in first person in the wild.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BJ motors has some 2009 ACR's for sale in the high $70's mid $80's. Those cars seem to be holding up nicely for 5 year old....

OP
OP
L

lawdogg149

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damn!! Your right guys. I only thought I was getting a deal on buying a $127,000 car for $95,000. Today I found out its only worth $72,000. That to me is a screwing. Brought on by this drop in retail prices. Dodge could of just in house gave dealers the $15,000 rebate that they could of passed on to the customers. Instead they market the rebate as a redo for the very mistake they made. Then this stupid voucher thing. Why the hell would I want to lose $23,000 today on my car to trade in for the very same car. What am I missing here. Some would say that the $15,000 coupon call it would offset the $23,000 loss so now its only a $8,000 loss.

I buy lots of cars and really enjoy the excitement, but boy has this car been a wake up call. Never in my car buying days have I seen a car loss this much value over the 3 months I have owned it. So Lets see dodge originally wanted $127,000 now its worth $72,000 (per local dealers). That's a $55,000 loss in value in three months time. Close down the factory this car is done.
Me and SRT will be having this discussion this weekend at Road Atl.

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am leaning towards buying a low mileage Gen 5 for $82k+/- rather than the new '14 GTS for $96k that originally stickered for almost $140k. I think I'll be plenty happy with a low mile '13 SRT with the upgraded interior and stripes. Less room to fall on the used car and it has to be a lot better than my '08 I lost due to driver stupidity back with only 500 miles on it. The "nannie" controls on the Gen 5 will be a good thing for me.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dealerships around my neck of the woods are sprawling metropolis's. They do quite well buying low and selling high....which is business 101. FLL-B/W-GTS....what kind of ass ****** can we expect if we want to go buy a Turbo S?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have a 2010 ACR asking in the mid 80s, but of course we will discount, but there are always exceptions, even with price changes and the demand for ACRs has stayed up -- if really good quality!

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BJ motors has some 2009 ACR's for sale in the high $70's mid $80's. Those cars seem to be holding up nicely for 5 year old....

I'd be happy with Mid 80's for a 2008 ACR with 6 miles and regular maintenance...

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn!! Your right guys. I only thought I was getting a deal on buying a $127,000 car for $95,000. Today I found out its only worth $72,000. That to me is a screwing. Brought on by this drop in retail prices. Dodge could of just in house gave dealers the $15,000 rebate that they could of passed on to the customers. Instead they market the rebate as a redo for the very mistake they made. Then this stupid voucher thing. Why the hell would I want to lose $23,000 today on my car to trade in for the very same car. What am I missing here. Some would say that the $15,000 coupon call it would offset the $23,000 loss so now its only a $8,000 loss.

I buy lots of cars and really enjoy the excitement, but boy has this car been a wake up call. Never in my car buying days have I seen a car loss this much value over the 3 months I have owned it. So Lets see dodge originally wanted $127,000 now its worth $72,000 (per local dealers). That's a $55,000 loss in value in three months time. Close down the factory this car is done.
Me and SRT will be having this discussion this weekend at Road Atl.
I invariably purchase an exotic as second owner. With low miles and extended warranty. Usually for 30% off. This car was one of the few exceptions and the thought process was how well previous generations seemed to hold up. Wow has this been to the contrary. 13-15 is the same car. If the 16 refresh isn't extraordinary, put a fork in her, cuz she's done.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I applaud Dodge's effort to get the Vipers moving.

I bought my TA in late December, 2013. I have no complaints whatsoever for what I paid.

Happens all the time when you are in retail or selling cars. And of course the people who just paid MSRP or better feel cheated but they could have waited and waited for THE right day which might never come.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's "you're" and holy smokes 5??? So it now only has 52 less HP than the hellcat? It's the halo car?

Psshh.

Xhlr8n

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone needs to find that video of NY Giants coach Tom Coughlin from a few years back, were he flew off the handle with the "Play Offs" comments and put in "RESALE Value" what "RESALE Value"

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happens all the time when you are in retail or selling cars. And of course the people who just paid MSRP or better feel cheated but they could have waited and waited for THE right day which might never come.

Respectfully disagree. This level of drop off in car values for a new car within 12 months is unprecedented.
It appears that regardless of origin MSRP, be it 145K or 118K the trade in value is about 70K. If a dealer will take it.
Unprecedented and the result of a glut of new and now use cars sitting on the lots.
IMO I don't see how this gets turned around you can't manufacture demand.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A hh hh. The worst thing that can happen to any product or service: having a supply with no demand. Building cars no one wants with bailout money. Lol. And the few hundred who wanted them sit back and wait 1/2 year or more for their build while other cars no one ordered get pumped out. They made their bed....

It can be salvaged. They need to get excitement stirred up about the car again. They know it too. Recently gen V owners got a e mail asking them tge top three things they loved about the gen I. Interesting. I say do a 2016 gen VI hellsnake. People love new exciting toys. VIN one of the hellcat just sold for a million bucks. Don't look at it with narrow glasses on and say well what the hell profitability is there in such a low production car even if it sold out. Instead, have an exciting flagship model that does sell out because the residual effect will be rams, jeeps, chargers and challengers selling I'm volume as an indirect result.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And BTW the month just ended and apparently the numbers are over 100 sales for thus past month. Pretty sure the incentives motivated the buyers. It's a start in the right direction.

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealers are comparing the values on a 13/4 Viper with no options to a 13/4 Viper that's loaded with "BS" too closely. 70/80k trade in value for a 90k/100k (base model) car is reasonable, but they're offering the same trade in price for the cars optioned up to $150k. Myself along with another VCA member thought about getting into a TA, but this thread is a horror story in the making.

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dealer just offered me a '14 black GTS with silver stripes, Laguna interior, car cover and Venom-Hyper wheels for $90k flat. Car has less than 10 miles on it and has been on the showroom since delivery by Reliable. Revised MSRP after recent $15k drop by Dodge is $126k. I have no coupon to get the $90k price since my last viper was a new '08. I had a black with silver stripes '06 coupe that was very well liked by friends and family so may have to take the plunge here. I was leaning towards a used '13 SRT from a dealer but that was $82k so this seems like a no brainer on the new '14 GTS.