$158 red light ticket.. the viper repair still costing me money

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:rolaugh:

get this in the mail. I remember that day. The clip broke on the clutch pedal and I was scared to stop in fear I'd be stuck at that light if i stopped.

oh well..

You must be registered for see images attach

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In some states, a part malfunction that you can prove that caused a violation like that will change the ticket to either a fix-it-ticket (ticket dropped after repair made) or to a failure to maintain vehicle, which is no points and a lesser fine.

Either way, sorry you got busted! Understandable why though!

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In some states, a part malfunction that you can prove that caused a violation like that will change the ticket to either a fix-it-ticket (ticket dropped after repair made) or to a failure to maintain vehicle, which is no points and a lesser fine.

Either way, sorry you got busted! Understandable why though!

thanks for that info. It's almost not worth the fight. I guess you don't get points on your license for a camera ticket. I'll pay it and move on. I havent had any type of traffic violation in 8 years~.. and I've taken that intersection since 2005 daily and had no idea there was a camera.

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd fight it, take your receipts of a broken clutch

I've considered it. But the clutch bill was from the week prior. I installed the proper clip that was sent to me my doug levin and it resolved the issue. (no receipt).

plus I'd have to let it go from a violation to a full blown traffic ticket which could lead to points and a heavier fine.

I'm not wealthy by any means.. but I think just paying it is the best route.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for that info. It's almost not worth the fight. I guess you don't get points on your license for a camera ticket. I'll pay it and move on. I havent had any type of traffic violation in 8 years~.. and I've taken that intersection since 2005 daily and had no idea there was a camera.

If it came from any other place than the DMV, ignore it. If it came from the DMV, fight it with the broken clutch argument. Just ask Doug for a receipt.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree totally with the OP. There is no way that this should be contested unless he can honestly say that the clip fell off in the middle of the intersection, and that he pulled off the road at the nearest opportunity in order to protect the public. Even then it will be a crapshoot not worth the hassle.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are in the intersection, past the crosswalk. Unless there are other pictures, I would say you beat the light.
But who am I to judge?:dunno:

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The term is called "Defective Equipment". You are in your rights to contest this ticket.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know in NJ they give tickets for a variety of things now that are "no point" moving violations and there are similar plea down violations but the kicker is that insurance companies still raise your rates for them even though you have no points.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know in Illinois all traffic cameras have signs posted which I think is required.

Only mobile ones in AZ require signs posted. However almost all of ours except intersection cameras have been taken out of service due to public outcry.

The Mad Machinist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know if this make you feel any better. But out here in Cali. I got hit for $500.00 not once but two times "different cameras" for not coming to a complete stop and making a right turn at a red light. $158.00 seems like a pretty good deal. I have heard of people going to court and paying reduced fines. Some I have been told have had their ticket dropped altogether just for showing up in court. At least that was what I was told.

If you have the time it mite be worth it to make the trip down and see what happens.

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know in NJ they give tickets for a variety of things now that are "no point" moving violations and there are similar plea down violations but the kicker is that insurance companies still raise your rates for them even though you have no points.

How can they do that? I think it's a civil payment made to the city

mtmclaughlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's funny that due process has now come down to "We have a picture of your car. You can clearly see your license plate in the photo. Also, we have affixed some numbers to the top of the picture. This proves you were speeding. This picture proves you were speeding. Now give us (and, um, the camera company) $200."