18" Track Wheels?

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody know anyone selling some 18" track wheels that will fit a Gen III (I know I will need the ebrake relocate kit)?
I've been getting to the track more and more and I have a spare set of Gen III wheels I was going to put R6's on, but used 19" R6's are pretty tough to come by.
I wanted a set of track tires for the Viper to last me while I looked for a track car to buy, but I got a nice letter in the mail yesterday from the IRS about some additional money I owe them. Unfortunately, the $10k or so I was looking to spend on a car is now going towards our national debt. lol

I need some cheap-ass 18"'s to use at the track. I don't care what they look like, and they can be completely trashed, as long as they are straight and structurally sound. I'm checking ebay, racing junk and some other sites, but hopefully somebody here might know of some that someone either moved up from or has an old set from past tracking.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for another track car? ......maybe something lower buck to beat on and cheaper to maintain and lower risk of loss if you have a mishap?.....I have thought of this alot myself. -instead of beating on my Viper. But really, anything else would seem like a disappointment by comparison, don't you think? After blasting by all those Miatas and whatever else that's cheap, I just can't do it. The only thing that ***** about tracking a Viper on a regular basis, is how much it costs (to really take care of the car while beating on it). I am a lowly working-class guy trying to enjoy a rich man's hobby. -anyway I guess alot of Viper track rats run 18's on the rear for more tire choices and it's cheaper as well. Good luck with finding a suitable set of rims. -sorry about the IRS, they are worse than cops sometimes.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up a set of forgeline's on here a yr ago for less than $1k

Keep looking, they are out there.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll keep an eye out for you. I used to use a set of stockers for the track but they are very heavy.....I could actually feel the difference between them and the CCW lights - so I'd recommend spending a couple hundo more for a light wheel than jumping on an OEM 5-spoke set for a lower price. Not to say the OEMs don't work well, they do, they;re just heavy.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, while on the topic, for those 'in the know', are aftermarket racing wheels significantly lighter than oem wheels? And if they are, how durable are they? I agree with the DrumrBoy dude about being able to feel a differance in wheels, I can tell between the lighter six spokes and my original ten spokes when at the track. Are there wheels lighter than six spoke and ACR wheels?

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allan: I've been looking mostly Fox body Mustangs that are already set up as race cars (stripped, full cage, seats, brakes, suspension, etc). It's definitely not a Viper, but it's still got some power, a simple V8 and rear wheel drive. Not to mention, wear parts are a lot cheaper and "uh-oh, there's a wall" parts can be found at just about any junkyard for really cheap.

Bob: Thanks for keeping an eye out. You making it to the Chin Motorsports weekend at the end of July?

Matt: In "Viper related costs" the OZ's are a great price. I'm just trying to find something used that might not being used anymore or are that are pretty scraped up that I can pick up "real world" cheap. ;)

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Race prepped fox body Mustang....Excellent choice for a track *****. I forgot about those. Have seen a few, but most guys around here are running late 80's / early 90's GM F-bodys (camaro/firebird) Lots of the Colorado NASA folks race prep those junks and they are still not very fast compared to a Viper -don't ask how I know. That little Mustang has a weight advantage when stripped though. Also, a car like that can be painted with spray-cans. :2tu:

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've some F-body cars for sale as well, but I grew up on the 'ole 302 and know that car pretty well. I haven't driven many F-body cars (none race prepped), but I hated the ones I did drive, in comparison to the Mustang. Hence, why I had a 5.0 and not an F-body when I was growing up.
And you're 100% correct on the spray-cans. It doesn't matter what color the car is and what color a part I find in the junkyard is. A little spray paint will work just fine on a track car. Hell, I might spring for a $250 MACO special at the beginning of each season! lol

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of these is faster than the others. Can you guess which?:) I think they're easier to set up suspension/brake-wise than the Camaros/Firebirds.

The_Mustang_Club_1.JPG

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your interested i have a Nextel Cup Car set up for road racing. Price is in the 40's
Also a 3/4 scale bush car (Mustange Body) with a Kawasaki ZX1400 Motor. 20ish....
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Frank, but I'm looking at roughly $10k track cars.

I want something cheap that I won't be too upset if I push it too hard and end up getting acquainted with a wall. And also that is very common so I can find replacement parts cheaply and easily.

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't say I'm too smart yet. ;)
I'll still track the Viper until I find one, and even then, I'll have to take the Viper back out at least every now and then.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will really appreciate the Viper for everything that it is -and isn't, after driving something else at the track. I've driven a few other cars at the track and the Viper is like no other. -It will always be your most intense experience.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
W2W in a well-prepared FB is every bit as intense as a DE in a Viper! W2W in a Viper would be more anxiety than I'm prepared for - can't afford to replace it!

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't lie Bob. I've seen your set-up at the track. Just plant another one of those money trees you have growing in the back yard. ;)