1992 Viper For Sale

Glenn G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1992 Viper, Vin # 30 with about 350 miles on it. The roof kit and window kits are in there original packaging unopened. The car has never been registered. I bought it at an Barrett Jackson Auction in Vegas 22 years ago along with a 57 Vette. Each Christmas, I would slap a dealer plate on the back, put my kids in the car and take a ride around the neighborhood but now that they are grown it is just sitting. It has been kept in a temperature controlled garage in NY. I have struggled to part with it but we are purging and it belongs with someone who can appreciate and share this magnificent car. If anyone can advise me what it may be worth, I would greatly appreciate it. It would be cool if I could sell the car for enough to pay for my daughters college.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GLWS! Nothing beats an original, unmolested first Gen. :2tu:
Hopefully the next owner will drive the Viper regularly. That's what these cars were made for...it's a shame if they're just parked and stored away.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's worth what you get for it...... Who can say? put it to auction and we'll all see.

cerveza v10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would love to own that car! Truely a piece of history.... Please be picky who you sell it to and keep it in the states!!! :)

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious how some states would handle the first time registering of this 22 year old car...still under MSO...most states feel they lost out on revenue...also if under MSO you can get car insurance ??!! Curious ??!!

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any idea what you want for it? I might be interested. I can't be too far away from you either (I'm in MA).

GRANGER73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you would be foolish to sell the car now. You have 22 years invested in the car and during the bulk of that time, the value has diminished quite a bit. Additionally, you've had to pay for insurance, routine maintenance, and general care for the past 22 years. The car has finally reached the up curve and is now an appreciating asset. Hold on to it. You obviously bought it as an investment. To sell it now, and let someone else cash in on your investment of both time and money would be a HUGE mistake. History will judge the Viper based on its initial impact to the market. Unlike now, the 92 Viper was so far ahead of its competitors. It is becoming an iconic collectible and will continue to appreciate. Hold on to it and when your granddaughter is ready for college, you may be able to buy her one. (Her own college I mean)

Last edited:

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If it was never registered, he probably didnt have to pay insurance on it. Since you bought it from Barrett Jackson, try selling it again through them. That's where you will get the most potential buyers with money, willing to pay for its pristine rare condition. $$$$$$$

You can always put a reserve on it, and if it dosent sell for what YOU want, you get to keep it!

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in '92 the local Dodge dealer in San Juan Capistrano had one sitting on the showroom roped-off to spectators. Sticker was $55k and his asking price was $125K. I recall a discussion the dealer was having with a gentleman as to why he should buy this Viper (with no AC) vs. some Italian car he was thinking about as well. I had to pipe-up stating "because this is a Viper." They both just sort of looked at me as I walked away.

TitleMine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm sort of with the people saying "hold on to it." The car's going to be valuable, but not in a life changing way. That might come in ten more years. Right now, you might get $150K for it. That'll change your life for a few years, maybe pay off a kid's college, but not much beyond that.

How dumb will you feel if you see a similar time capsule car sell for $650,000 in 2030?

GRANGER73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IRight now, you might get $150K for it. That'll change your life for a few years, maybe pay off a kid's college, but not much beyond that.

Are you serious....150K? I'm pretty sure he'd be signing the title with an offer half that amount. I've seen half a dozen 92's under 1K miles advertised over the past 6 months, and "the buy it now" price was closer to 60-65k. It is not a 150K car by any stretch. Would be interested to see how you arrived at that figure.

Last edited:

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sort of with the people saying "hold on to it." The car's going to be valuable, but not in a life changing way. That might come in ten more years. Right now, you might get $150K for it. That'll change your life for a few years, maybe pay off a kid's college, but not much beyond that.

How dumb will you feel if you see a similar time capsule car sell for $650,000 in 2030?

Not even close at $150K. Not sure what you think is being sold here, but in recent months there was a sub 1000 miles GTS-R that sold for around $80K and various other 92's ranging in price from mid $20's to mid $50's although I am not aware of any sales actually being completed on the recent 92's.

As far as this particular car is concerned, if it is as clean as it should be with such low miles, I don't see it having any trouble brining a decent amount by 92 standards, but certainly not $150K.

OP
OP
G

Glenn G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoa...thanks for all of the input. Quite a difference of opinions here and you all would know way better than I do regarding the value of this car. When my son was born, I bought it impulsively hoping to one day have it pay for his college education. As it turned out, he got a full scholarship and the car is still in a temperature controlled room in our NY home. Still a bit cold here but in a few weeks I will get it out and throw a complete set of pictures up. To me, it is a fine piece of art and while I have enjoyed looking at it and occasional drives, surely it belongs in someone's collection. Such a wide range of opinions on what it is worth has me confused. When I get it out in a few weeks, I will give more thought to what I will do next. I wish it were worth 150K. That would make my decision very simple. I would really love to sell it for some cash and a maybe low mileage used SRT10 or just for cash. Not looking to change my life or make a killing. Just want to know approximately what it is worth and sell it to someone for a price fair to us both. Thank you for all the good advise.

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me know when you are ready to sell. Maybe we can work something out.

Dirk Pitt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it was never registered, he probably didnt have to pay insurance on it. Since you bought it from Barrett Jackson, try selling it again through them. That's where you will get the most potential buyers with money, willing to pay for its pristine rare condition. $$$$$$$

You can always put a reserve on it, and if it dosent sell for what YOU want, you get to keep it!

Registration has no bearing on insurance.

Last edited:

TitleMine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lol guys, ok, mea culpa. Looking at auction prices now, it's definitely worth more like $50k.

I was trying to post the most insane pie-in-the-sky amount I could for an untitled ultra-low miles car to show that even then, it's not going to bring about enough life change to warrant rushing to sale.

You're absolutely right, looking at the prices now from auction listings, it's probably 2x the best offers he might expect or less. Sorry I misled you OP.

gutterworks129

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, are you going to sell it? It will go to a a good home if I buy it...
I have a 1992 Viper, Vin # 30 with about 350 miles on it. The roof kit and window kits are in there original packaging unopened. The car has never been registered. I bought it at an Barrett Jackson Auction in Vegas 22 years ago along with a 57 Vette. Each Christmas, I would slap a dealer plate on the back, put my kids in the car and take a ride around the neighborhood but now that they are grown it is just sitting. It has been kept in a temperature controlled garage in NY. I have struggled to part with it but we are purging and it belongs with someone who can appreciate and share this magnificent car. If anyone can advise me what it may be worth, I would greatly appreciate it. It would be cool if I could sell the car for enough to pay for my daughters college.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the poster who suggested selling it again thru B-J. Put a $60 reserve on It and see If it goes. That audience Is more likely to have a bunch of folks who value the
collectability of that car......most Viper folks enjoy driving them and although we appreciate what It Is, most here wouldn't pay a huge premium for the historical value. Some may, of course, but a higher concentration of historical/collector types can be found at auction

GRANGER73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the poster who suggested selling it again thru B-J. Put a $60 reserve on It and see If it goes. That audience Is more likely to have a bunch of folks who value the
collectability of that car......most Viper folks enjoy driving them and although we appreciate what It Is, most here wouldn't pay a huge premium for the historical value. Some may, of course, but a higher concentration of historical/collector types can be found at auction

B-J will not do a reserve auction for a car in this price range. Take it to Carlisle in July.

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget that there is a fee for selling the car at BJ's auction-might get 10 grand less than what it bids for-That's why Jackson always has that grin on his face -he collects from both buyer and seller

diamond head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know we think the Viper is priceless but, it is worth what someone will pay. $50-65K range maybe too high. I think it would probably sell for half the price $25-35K:dunno: Are there any offers?