1993 RT 10 Transmission oil

Sam Emerson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have used Valvoline ATF-4 in the past but now only seems to be available in synthetic version. Any known issues or problems associated with synthetics in this transmission? Thanks

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Synthetic ATF is just better than old dinosaur oils, has higher heat range capability and cuts friction, it will work fine in your trans, and be better for it.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, I actually asked Tremec what they recommended once because I put a Viper T56 in my 67 Dart. They said Mobil 1 ATF was what went in most as a factory fill. I can definitely hear the neutral gear rattle that they talk about in the early Vipers though. That was one reason Dodge went to the Castrol Syntorq, though I think it puts up with the extra power and torque of the newer cars a little better too. ATF won't hurt it though, and I believe the sticker on the side of my mom's 94 says Dexron III or something like that.

lane_viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So after I rebuilt my Daily Driver C5's t56 I went with Pennzoil Syncromesh, Almost 40,000 miles later everything is still great.

After having to rebuild the T56 in the Viper shortly after buying it, I went with Syncromesh after the rebuild. Being that it is doing well in the C5, I have no fear in using it in the Viper.