1996 GTS

mrviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for a 1996 Dodge Viper GTS. Must be a near perfect car with under 2500 miles. We will pay the right$ for the right car. Anyone know of one that is available? Please let me know

Thanks

Eric Lee
Latham Dodge
208-736-7080

1996VIPERGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 GTS with 885 miles, that I have been thinking about putting up for sale. $60K. The car is perfect, and basically still like a "new" car, not a scratch or rock chip anywere, still has the new car smell when you open the door. Car has been in storage since new, only driven approx. 100 miles a year to keep the car and all the moving parts lubricated, etc.

1996VIPERGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry it bothers some of you I don't drive my car enough??

This car was my dream car, and I bought the car with every intention of keeping the car forever, and wanted to have a perfect car 30 years from now to enjoy, and also as a possible investment. I am toying with the idea of selling the car just because I am looking at buying a new house and the extra $$ down would be nice. I have other toys I work on, and drive that keep me occupied. When i'm not working, I spend most of my free time restoring a 59 and 67 427 Vette, and thus I have no garage space. I have kept the Viper in a storage building away from my house for the last couple of years which makes it an inconvience to drive the car whenever I want.

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to try and piss Eric off, but I'd keep it. The Gen I RT/10 and '96 blue angel GTS will be quite a collectors item come 30 years later, especially with your original intentions on keep it mint.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see only driving it that much if I had, say, 10 other mega exotics to drive. If I want an investment I'll buy savings bonds, if I want to have fun I'll drive my viper.

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 67 big block vette is a super cool car. Even better if it's a tri-power, stick, and of course with the big block hood... Only sell the viper if the time and price are right. Regrets are BAD.

1996VIPERGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't decided whether or not I am definitely going to sell it. Right now I am just gauging interest. I still haven't been able to officially put it up for sale, I can never seem to go through with placing the ad.

I have been restoring cars for a few years now, and have grown to appreciate the super low mileage 30+ year old survivor cars. I had money invested in the stock market, and that came crashing down. You don't have to drive a car 100,000 miles a year to enjoy owning it.

The 67 Vette is an original 427/435 Tri-Power car, I am selling both vettes soon to use as a down payment on a house too.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"This car was my dream car, and I bought the car with every intention of keeping the car forever, and wanted to have a perfect car 30 years from now to enjoy, and also as a possible investment."

Kind of a funny thing when people talk about most cars as investments. First off, I'm one that believes that values on clean Gen I & II Vipers will rise in the future. As supply slides overtime, prices will firm and rise. That being said, lets take the above example and do the math:

At a 5% appreciation rate (bond returns, not stocks) your $60,000 car would have to sell for something a little north of $240,000 in 30 years. Is that possible? Sure, maybe. If you factor in the cost of insurance, storage, maintenance, etc., the math starts to not look so good. However, if you believe the car will be worth a million some day, that math I like.

Having it in offsite storage is a bummer. For me, seeing my car in the garage when I leave in the morning and when I come home at night is part of the pleasure. Whether I drive it or not.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I like my ketchup on top of my fries; I understand others like it to the side, a portion thereof with pepper & Tobasco mixed in.

I don't worry about it much.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric's not serious about paying the "right" money, for me at least. I saw this post and for sh#%$ and grins I threw him an e-mail about my GTS. It's not really for sale, but hey, if the money is right......

Which like the originator of this post, my GTS is a 359 mile car, orig owner, still under warranty. Eric said "$50K Today, let me know asap." That's not serious IMO, and it's not the "right" money for me to sell at.

Now on the non-driving bashing topic. I drive my RT-10 every chance I get, I even invent things I need to do just to take it out and drive it.

But the drives in the GTS are VERY special!

Driving the two is kinda like having a wife (the RT-10) and having a super model mistress!(the GTS) But the wife and the super model are almost identical twins, also they both know about each other and they are both cool with each other!

Sorry honey that's the only way I could think of describing it!

I know, I know, I've been a bad boy, I will go into time out now. Come get me out of the GTS parked in the garage when my punishment is over.

Ketchup on the side, otherwise it gets on your fingers! And a little mustard mixed into the ketchup too.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BadVenm, Well said! It is up to you when and how you drive your "special" Viper.

I too, drive my other vipers, '03 Red SRT-10 is a daily "******" to go to work in, '00 supercharged car is for special occasions. My '96 Blue and White with 38 miles on it and my '98 GTSR #001 are eye candy and ultimate garage decorations!

I would sell my Blue and White for about $250K, no less. That is what it is worth to me, and that is all that matters to me! :headbang:

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"This car was my dream car, and I bought the car with every intention of keeping the car forever, and wanted to have a perfect car 30 years from now to enjoy, and also as a possible investment."

Kind of a funny thing when people talk about most cars as investments. First off, I'm one that believes that values on clean Gen I & II Vipers will rise in the future. As supply slides overtime, prices will firm and rise. That being said, lets take the above example and do the math:

At a 5% appreciation rate (bond returns, not stocks) your $60,000 car would have to sell for something a little north of $240,000 in 30 years. Is that possible? Sure, maybe. If you factor in the cost of insurance, storage, maintenance, etc., the math starts to not look so good. However, if you believe the car will be worth a million some day, that math I like.

Having it in offsite storage is a bummer. For me, seeing my car in the garage when I leave in the morning and when I come home at night is part of the pleasure. Whether I drive it or not.

Ok now redo the math figuring 20% down on commercial real estate that appreciates at 10 % a year so ROUGH guesstimate is 30K a year LOL so it is WELL north of 1 MILLION dollars ;)