1996 Pace car question

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were all 1996 GTS cars "pace cars" and come with the decal set? or were only some designated as pace cars and came with the decal set? I think only 3 or 4 were used as the actual pace cars is this correct? thanks.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, Only two were the actual pace cars (one was a backup). They both had "sunroofs", so celebs could stand and wave to the crowds. I think they are both still at Conner Ave., the original in a Customer/Greeting room, and the backup on the plant floor. The backup may have been moved to the museum, but I'm not sure. Here is a pic of the original (taken in 1998) in the greeting room:

238IndyPaceCar.jpg

Sorry for the poor res, but I had a POS camera back then.
As you suspected, all the rest (but not all '96 GTS's) came with a decal set.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Decals were available to anyone who wanted them... a few years after.

I believe original owners of '96 were offered them gratis?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately the 1996 GTS did not automatically come from the factory with the decals.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
steve

The 96 GTS's did not come with the Decals....They were not even a Dodge part... They were only availble through the Indy 500 catalogue/store....Plus most 96 GTS's were delivered months after the Indy 500 race...so anyone saying there car is a real pace car needs to be corected..because there is only one real pace car ( and its at the Viper plant.....

I have a 96 GTS and the decal set....if you want more info about these cars..shoot me an email...Ill be glad to help

Bob V