1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1996 White Stripe End Point

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by Kelley, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Kelley

Kelley Enthusiast

Where do the white stripes end on the front of a stock '96 GTS? Is the small lower air damn (I'm guessing that is the name of the 2" spoiler that is the lowest point to the ground) painted solid blue or do the white stripes go through this piece and to the very bottom? I've seen it both ways. I Need to repaint the lower portion of my front end and I want it to be the stock combination

2. Kelley

Kelley Enthusiast

Surely someone is willing to look under the front end of an all original GTS and let me know

3. Kelley

Kelley Enthusiast

It's also possible that this is just an unpainted black molded spoiler. Can anyone verify that?

4. 71firebird400

71firebird400 Enthusiast

This is factory (see pic)

viper.png

[email protected] and Ron like this.
  5. Soundkillr

Soundkillr Enthusiast

It will be solid blue no stripes.

6. lane_viper

lane_viper Enthusiast

This is what Mine looks like as well. Mine was really scratched up from previous owner, so I did this same thing.

7. Kelley

Kelley Enthusiast

Thank you to all. I guess a repaint will eliminate my rash and my stripes

8. sdaddy

sdaddy Viper Owner

GTS sales brochure.jpg autowp.ru_dodge_viper_gts_indy_500_pace_car_1.jpg 1996-viper-gts-indy-poster-2.jpg

Hold on! I researched this when I had mine repainted and all the 1996 Indy pics (where the car was first shown) and original ad pictures showed the stripes going down the bottom lip. I used to have an original sales brochure that showed this also, but let it go when I sold the car. I have to concur that the car probably looks better without it, and as this is in the shadows, it does not appear to be painted in most picturestaken from a normal angle. When I removed my facia to have it repainted the paint shop failed to paint this bottom lip and I made them redo it when I went to go pick it up. I wanted the car original in appearance.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  9. BlueNNC

BlueNNC Viper Owner

I have an original 1996 GTS Coupe and it did not come as the sales brochure shows with the white racing stripe on the bottom of the air dam. It is solid blue.

10. sdaddy

sdaddy Viper Owner

Here is a response I got from JonB, the owner of Partsrack. He got the first customer 96 GTS and still has it with no paint work ever done. He had to go look, but says the white stripe does not continue down the vertical edge of the facia. Apparently, the pictures I posted were pre-production or marketing renderings. The Pace Cars may have had this, but it not make it to production. The official pace cars (I believe there were two) also had a sunroof, which was an oddity required to allow the driver to make hand signals. I used to have pictures of one of the sunroof cars. This was unique to the real pace cars, not to be confused with just 96 GTS's with the pace car stickers.

Here is JonB's response. Thanks to Jon for taking the time to look.

Jon

2:01 PM (21 minutes ago)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to me
    [​IMG]

My car was the first retail car delivered, as well as CAAP customer pickup # 1. Still mine, original paint.

44 mile trip to find and report that Stripe does NOT extend onto the vertical air dam skirt. Stripe Abuts/ends at that skirt.

11. C O D Y

C O D Y Enthusiast

This covers the where the stripes end and the different thicknesses.

12. neilekelly@yahoo.com

[email protected] Enthusiast