1997 Viper GTS with 605 miles for $43,000?

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red looks great! And you can virtually drive it as much as you want, and it will still be a low mileage Viper a few years down the road :)

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PROBLEM WITH THIS VIPER, as soon as you start driveing it daily, stuff will break and leak right and left after awhile, sittting is the worst you can do to a car- they fall apart

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PROBLEM WITH THIS VIPER, as soon as you start driveing it daily, stuff will break and leak right and left after awhile, sittting is the worst you can do to a car- they fall apart

I beg to differ. 605 miles is probably enough if well stored properly. Maybe he had hoses and seals replaced periodically. Maybe the seller started and ran the car everyday?

If not I still think a offer of 38K would take it :).

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I beg to differ. 605 miles is probably enough if well stored properly. Maybe he had hoses and seals replaced periodically. Maybe the seller started and ran the car everyday?

I imagine if the owner saw this thread he would probably be scratching his head! Could you imagine a car that is in mint condition & only has collector status miles on it & people complaining that its not even worth 43k cause it HASN'T been driven ENOUGH, & if you start driving it now everything will start falling apart on it. Well, I bet he learned his lesson, I mean who in their right mind would buy a Viper & NEVER Drive it & Enjoy the Thrill! Lol!

djviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I imagine if the owner saw this thread he would probably be scratching his head! Could you imagine a car that is in mint condition & only has collector status miles on it & people complaining that its not even worth 43k cause it HASN'T been driven ENOUGH, & if you start driving it now everything will start falling apart on it. Well, I bet he learned his lesson, I mean who in their right mind would buy a Viper & NEVER Drive it & Enjoy the Thrill! Lol!

Perhaps, but if that owner expects a collectors price his record keeping on how often it was driven/maintained is vital. Just 605 miles with no explanation is a red-flag IMO.

djviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does everyone hate red?

People love red, but with 605 miles is obviously a "collector" car, and most "collectors" want a striped GTS, especially the blue-white. If you're buying a car as a "driver" you'll just pick your favorite color and red rates pretty high--but why would you pay a premium for a 605 mile car if you're just buying a "driver?"

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if the car checks out, that's a deal. I paid $50k for my 805 miles 99.

Who the hell buys cars for investments?! Buy it to enjoy.

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I agree with bluesrt, this viper will be a money pit in fixes. Any car should be driven at least 1k each year. Cars are made to drive, not sit around for 16 years. Own the car, do not let the car own you!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:nono: you buy and you find out hard way, and no soup for you

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:dunno:I spoke directly with the dealer that now owns the car (purchased from original owner). He claims the mileage is correct and the car is absolutely showroom new. Problem is that although the owner claims that he had regular fluid changes throughout the years, the dealer is not able to come up with any evidence to substantiate this claim. I would have to believe that if the fluid changes were performed at a dealer, records would easily be available. Without evidence of the maintenance records, not sure I would be intersted in this car, regardless of mileage. He is firm on his price as well. FYI

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the dealer is now asking $43k for it, they probably got it for low to mid 30s from the original owner. That would have been a good deal.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jesus....keep the car housed and insured for 15 years after buying it new and then selling it to a dealer for low 30's....Never driving it...crazy.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
There is a difference to ME between "dealer" and "broker". One of our members made similar inquiries as to these mentioned by RT/ED about car's history/service records...got no answers.

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like how discussions like this brings out all the forum idiots. If you would actually look at the published information on number of cars produced in each color, you would see that red was the highest produced color for a particular year only about half the time. Matter of fact, that coveted blue / white car that every says is the one to have, they made way more of in '97 then red cars, and in '96 that's about all they made; blue / white cars. But, even now that you know that you will still claim that red was overproduced making it less valuable. No, it's the idiots that think what they think without knowing what they're talking about that drives that.

Red was the lowest produced color on a GTS in 2001 ... and everyone knows "VIPER RED" :) ---

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, if a potential buyer took this car to a Dodge dealership and paid for an inspection, could they say whether or not the seals and such would start leaking soon?