1st post - Buying a Viper soon need advice

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad

1. Probebly the worst thing i have goin for me, othern then drivBing in a parking lot iv only driven auto my whole life. NEVER driven manual on the street and will go further and say infact i dont how too. Basically, if i buy this car, i personally wont be able to drive it home. (trying to be as honest as i can here)

2. No place to really park it, what i mean by that is, i take care of my parents, and they live in a not so great street, althogh the area i live in is great, the condo i live in the street isnt very good. Theres no garage, and i would have to park it outside. I can cover it and the weather down here in southern cali is great so it never snows, but im worried about what the nieghboorhood kids or someone that has bad motives might do to it.

3. I dont even know how to change the oil on my own car.

Parking a Viper outside can depend upon where you live in a given region. In the case of Sou-Cal, there are exotics-a-plenty in some areas, and so many cars, in general, that it might not be as exclusive as in some areas, thus not garnering the type of attention that its looks suggest. Here in the Bay Area, my Viper is often seen as just another shiny red sports car. When I first got it, I only drove down rose petal covered streets on only the most perfect of days, and tried to find a spot in the living room for it next to the family dog. I later began to understand that despite all of the attention and immaculate care my car has received, I pull into the same gas stations as beat up Hondas, rusted out pickups, and minivans. My Viper shares the same pothole infested, wet tarred, gravel littered, dusty, often crowded, roads that other rubber tired vehicles compete for space on. I came to the realization that my Viper was actually designed to spend a good deal of its life outside!:omg: I have put enough miles on my car that it is far from a garage queen, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I really enjoy the car, and drive it enough to become familiar with its ways.

If you do buy one of these cars, treat it well and use it--life is short. If you wait until all conditions are just right for many of the worthwhile things in life, you will be doing a lot of waiting and not much living/ doing / accomplishing. Some ships sail over the horizon and never return. At 28 you are near the family building stage whether that is on the horizon or not. Forget a Viper during that time, unless your partner is really a-o.k. I got mine after my kids got older. At your stage in life other priorities have a habit of popping up an superseding the toys.

As for learning to drive a stick, if you have been driving for some time, it really is quite easy. Just this month, I taught both of my sons (15 and 18) to drive manual in one outing. It helps to understand what the pedal does, mechanically, and why. You need a good teacher and a day of practice. Hey, people learn it every day, and never look back.

The thing about the Viper is that it is quite unforgiving of certain mistakes i.e. too much gas, rough application of torque, and just brain farting, and forgetting to put it in neutral before getting off the clutch at a light or parking space, or even leaving it in gear and forgetting on restart. The motor has enough power near idle to put the car through something.

It really is not a beginners car, but is a finesse oriented drivers car; it is no Z , Mustang, or Vette--nor is it a Bugatti. Ideally you need an acquisition plan for the Viper where you do a benefit/risk/timing assessment as the car relates to you. If you have to park it outside and cover it in order to have the car, and enjoy it, figure out how to do it the best you can. It may serve as an impetus to get another place with an adequate garage, who knows? As for cost, sadly Vipers are some of the cheaper cars on the street relative to some of the Mercedes,Cadillacs, SUV's and basic 30k sedans out there, so it is far from irreplaceable. You, on the other hand are irreplaceable, so make your decision based upon that theme. You can afford to wait a while, get a manual sled to become shift proficient on so that you will be able to at least do a test drive. You must be able to drive it home...Remember that a high number of Vipers never make it home on the first day. Make some adequate preparations. Then go get your dream without putting the cart too far before the horse.

94EmeraldGreen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manual trans is a manual trans. You can learn to drive it. you can even learn to drive it on your way home. Just be extra gentle with the gas pedal.

Bigger issue is the parking. I knew a guy who kept his viper outside at a nice condo complex. He said he never had any issues. I wouldn't do it myself mind you, but it worked for him. Thing is, you said your street isn't so nice - if that's the case, you will likely be vandalized.
I wouldn't do it until you have a safe place to park it.

OP
OP
L

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Solid

Thanks for the advice, you really put time into your response and it i did take a lot of what you said to heart. I do have poeple who will drive it home for me the day i buy it as i wont risk hurting my self or others.

Garage seems like it might not be an option at over 200 dollars per month for a covered garage here in orange county. thats like almost 50 percent of what my car payment would be.. ouch..

hoping to have a local guy come atleast check out the car with me but unfortenatly there not accepting regesteration on the forum on the southern cali site that was linked here. hopefully someone from down here will see this thread and let me register on the south cali site.

Your from the bay area? i have family up there that im visiting for christmas, great to see viper members from all over

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude..... BUY THAT CAR!! You're gonna freaking love it!!!!

When it gets old (for you) sell it and get wise. Nothing like a lesson in "affordable car / not affordable service" Do you know a set of tires will run you 2Gs? .. and they're not 60k tires!!! You're gonna burn them up in 20k mi.! Maintenance is big bux for a viper (really big bux).... just brakes etc.. need more?.. that will really run it up!... Yep.

Without knowing your financial situation.......
My advise: Do not go upside down for a car! If you get a loan you need to put down 50% at least...maybe more. I don't do car loans either but I have in the past and regretted it.... Lesson learned.

Just sayin'

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im kind doin half and half, financing half paying cash for half..

You know, I'm going to have to take that back... I'm considering getting a 2010 ( Just like everyone else I guess ).

I don't have the cash on-hand to plunk down right now, but I'm still kicking the idea around. Sigh, I hope to come to my senses soon :)

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im far fom a high roller and just bought my third viper ( wrecked the first two)....

I love these cars..years ago in Vegas I saw a black man dressed very nicely with an expensive looking watch drive by me in a bright yellow convertable Ferrari...

The car was stunning/exotic....

This guy could have just been renting it for the day..Or he could be a high roller....Wich ever it was it was my dream to one day roll by people in an exotic convertable and have them eww and aww at my car and wonder who I am....

In 2005 I got an 99RT10....In 2007 I got an 2003SRT10....

Again Im far from a high roller...But in those cars I have experianced what it's like to have people take pics of your car..

Ive experianced people knowing about that guy that looks like this in this kind of car and realized that they were talking about me in my Viper before they ever even met me...

The people wondering if your rich and some out right asking...

The valets looking like they will fight to the death to see who gets to park your car..

The people out side of the club who see you roll buy and then treat you as a celebrity upon entry...

To pull up to a car meet where some of these people have invested 50K into their supras/rice/stangs/vettes ect. And see your stock Viper is one of the most talked about cars their

Again...Im far from a high roller but i feel the Viper has let me experiance what I felt of that Ferrari owner back in 2004...

And I would never give it up for anything.....Youve chased your dream...Now grab it

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lund,
Skip Barber Racing used to have a program where students actually received track instruction in a Viper, but I believe they have discontinued that. With that said, you can learn driving skills and vehicle handling dynamics in whatever car a racing school offers (I would personally stay away from the open-wheel cars, but others may disagree). Both the Skip Barber and Bondurant schools have a long and successful track record in teaching racing/high performance driving, as do a number of others; perhaps some of the southern Cal contingent here can chime in with their suggestions on which schools they found most helpful.

Any racing/high performance driving school is going to teach the same basic concepts; finding the line through a corner, proper brake and throttle control, spin control/recovery, correct shifting technique, handling dynamics, and so on. The goal is to learn to do the correct things instinctively, consistently, and smoothly. (That last is especially important in a Viper; you can't drive a Viper, or anything else with that kind of power, too smoothly). Not everything you learn in another car will directly translate to the Snake, but the fundamentals will, and that is very important, because a lot of the basics are counter-intuitive to a novice driver. Think of a school as building a foundation for the skill set you'll need to properly control the Viper's great power and handling capabilities; (it is, after all, a racing car in street trim). This won't turn you into a great driver instantly, but it will let you begin to explore the car's capabilities ( not on the street, please!), in a smarter and safer manner. It will also make you a better driver on the street.

There are several reasons newbies crash Vipers:

(1) Overconfidence - know your own limits, and stay within them; YOUR limits are THE limits, no matter what the car can do.

(2) Lack of experience with the car - the best place to get familiar with the Viper's characteristics (and your own ability to handle them) is on the track or autocross course. Familiarize yourself with how the car responds to the throttle and brake, as well as steering corrections. Work up to your personal limits slowly and gradually. The Viper gives its driver a lot of feedback; the key is learning to understand what it is telling you. New cars need a break-in period; so do new Viper drivers.

(3) Lack of focus - the Snake demands your FULL attention, all the time. The appropriate time for adjusting the radio, the A/C, etc., is before you push the start button; after that, your hands belong on the steering wheel and the gearshift ONLY, and your mind belongs on driving the car, ONLY. In plain English, keep both hands and mind off everything else (that includes a cell phone, food, drink, and yes, your girlfriend, too!) until the ignition is turned off.

(4) Old and/or cold tires - We already discussed old or mismatched tires; it's also very important to have even the best tires properly warmed up, before doing anything remotely adventurous with the throttle. Depending on the outside temperature, this may take 10-15 miles of driving, or more. Cold and/or wet conditions demand extra caution, so drive accordingly.

(5) Showing off - DON'T! Self-explanatory.

(6) Street racing - Don't even THINK about it!

OP
OP
L

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have the car im buyings VIN number, anyone know where i can call to make sure it covered under the 7 year 70 thousand mile warranty. do i call a dealership or HQ or something? thanks

ps .. anyone know why u cant register at the southern cali viper website forum?

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, I'm going to have to take that back... I'm considering getting a 2010 ( Just like everyone else I guess ).

I don't have the cash on-hand to plunk down right now, but I'm still kicking the idea around. Sigh, I hope to come to my senses soon :)

Well I guess I am going to have to back peddle on my statement as well :)

Especially if someone had he cash but decided to use the low or no interest loans they are now doing and either hang on to the cash or invest it.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Solid

Thanks for the advice, you really put time into your response and it i did take a lot of what you said to heart. I do have poeple who will drive it home for me the day i buy it as i wont risk hurting my self or others.

Garage seems like it might not be an option at over 200 dollars per month for a covered garage here in orange county. thats like almost 50 percent of what my car payment would be.. ouch..

hoping to have a local guy come atleast check out the car with me but unfortenatly there not accepting regesteration on the forum on the southern cali site that was linked here. hopefully someone from down here will see this thread and let me register on the south cali site.

Your from the bay area? i have family up there that im visiting for christmas, great to see viper members from all over

Send an email to Dan Everts, (ViperX) the Southern CA President [email protected]

He'll get you registered in the SOCAL club and get provide you a ton of local viper information. He might even teach you how to drive it

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Do not buy one till you learn how to drive a Manual - Check!
2. Do not buy one till you have a safe place to park the car - Check!
3. Do not buy one unless you can do your own service on the car or have a fat wallet. question on this one, do u mean service like oil chance, flued change, or change out the whole engine kind of a thing. The first two i know i can learn how to do, 3rd one not so sure lol

To Service the car yourself safely you will need a garage .you cant do it on the street or a parking lot. Its best if you have a lift or a friend with one. Some do have ways of lifting the car off the ground and supporting the car, but I don't suggest jack stands to solely support the car as if this car falls on you ...your dead. Some use lumber to get the car up higher so they can get under the car. That would be a safer alternative. Somewhere on the site their are photos posted of this method.

dshaf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would buy a cheap manual car to practice on first, when you drive a manual there is a lot of reactions which need to be instinctive. I also agree that without a garage it would be a constant worry.As far as being your own mechanic the Vipers are generally very reliable and most of the routine maintenance is affordable.Good luck